“Don't Be Fooled - This Place is Great”

Berkeley Springs Spa and Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley Springs
Berkeley Springs Spa and Inn
Reviewed 28 April 2008

Everything about our trip was wonderful - the Inn was exactly what we wanted - a small secluded resort (only 8 rooms total on the property). The spa facilities were great - facials, massages and manicures that we each received were performed by very courteous and professional staff members. The breakfasts and dinners (included in the weekend package) were delicious and very nicely prepared. Rooms were well maintained and provided more than enough privacy for us.

Unfortunately there is a larger resort in Berkely Springs that has taken on a similar name to this one and has caused confusion with reviews. I myself had doubts because I read reviews that I thought were meant for the Berkeley Springs Spa and inn but in fact turned out to be for the other place.

Trust me - if you are looking for a quiet romantic weekend getaway you will not regret visiting the Spa and Inn.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Berkeley Springs Spa and Inn

Reviewed 21 April 2008

Our Sixth visit in about eight years of visiting and our 13th Anniversary as well. The property sells itself as a true country inn in the Shenandoah valley with their top compliments as cleanliness, excellent meals and a friendly staff (who have all been there many years) and they truly do and have delivered. Dinner is by candlelight and is 5-courses. Excellent. All items are made on-site and their chef hand-selects, every week, all ingredients. Try relaxing with a book while rocking in the quiet on their front porch and the steam babbles in the background.

The innkeeper truly cares about the inn and we see it improve as we have been coming there over the eight years. Their latest additional (improvement) was the addition of free high-speed, wireless internet. The first in the area to offer it at no cost.

Whether it is your anniversary, birthday, or looking for a romantic place to go---This is the place!

Reservations required--book two to three weeks in advance. Weekends require a two-night minimum and one-nighters can be experienced on Thursdays or Sundays.

We hope you enjoy your visit as we have continued to enjoy ours.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2008

If the flu gets you down and you think, " I'll stay home to avoid spreading it and reschedule my stay at The Berkeley Springs Spa and Inn".
Think again! They will not budge with their NO CANCELLATION policy.
The experience cost me $506.00; alot of frustration and I'm still sick.
Next time, I will reserve my spa retreat at a place that has some compassion!
LylaCharlesCity_VA

Stayed: February 2008
4  Thank LylaCharlesCity_VA
Reviewed 16 November 2007

sigh; We had been planning our wedding anniversary for some time. 1 day before we were suppose to arrive the innkeeper called to cancel our reservation. He left a vague message on my wife's voicemail stating something to do with a mechanical problem and no further explanation.

I should of been clued in to this operation when we attempted to make contact and had to leave no less than 3 messages (never did get someone on the phone when we called) before receiving a call back.

The second clue was the almost illiterate email sent detailing directions. While I'm no scholar (didn't even graduate college) I can form sentences and thoughts fairly well though the person writing the email clearly does not. I would hazard a guess that a 4th grader could of done a better job. I literally had to read the message several times just to understand the poorly written sentences.

Overall, not impressed. Looking at the other reviews on here it seems like it might of worked out for the best considering this place doesn't seem to be what it advertises.

Tom

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank netwrkr
Reviewed 4 September 2007

We chose the Berkeley Springs Inn and Spa because we wanted a somewhat central location between North Carolina and Pennsylvania as we were meeting another couple there. We were also looking for a relaxing adult weekend away from our children so the spa package seemed just the ticket.

The photos on their website make it look really quaint and the getaway weekend packages were quite reasonable. I received okay (not great) service from the front desk when I called to make the reservation, and because we preferred adjoining rooms, they recommended that we stay in the "newer" buidling behind the main Inn. The newer building is connected to the Spa and according to the receptionist the rooms were bigger and nicer. So, we opted to stay in this "newer" building as we were getting several spa treatments.

The "newer" building is in desperate need of updating. It must have been built in the 1970's...with deep burgundy shag carpet still on the floors, a stale, smoky, musty smell and the wallpaper is peeling off the walls. The beds were so uncomfortable that my husband had an aching back all weekend despite the massage, which was just average by any standards. The decor in the spa is also very 1970's with a lot of pink and black and chrome. The spa treatments were average.

The Tavern restaurant was by far the best part of the Inn. Great service and good food and excellent drinks. The main restaurant at the Inn had terrible service and average food. The front desk staff was the worst I've ever experienced.

I won't be going back and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ficklecoop
Reviewed 18 July 2007

My husband and I contacted the Berkeley Springs Spa and Inn to make reservations for a weekend get away package. First of all, there's only 1 phone number to call. There's no other way of contacting the inn. No one ever picks up the phone. I ended up leaving several message until the inn called me back. After giving them a requirement that my husband is a vegetarian, they hesitated, but asked me for my credit card information anyway. I gave the inn full credit card information and address. Right before I was about to hang up the phone, I asked a few more questions about the room i.e. if it's a non-smoking room and if it contains a king size bed. All of a sudden, the inn representative said that he is not comfortable with the reservation and rudely hung up the phone. I was very disappointed and humiliated. This is not the Customer Service you expect in the US. DONT MAKE THIS RUDE DISCRIMINATING PERSON RICHER BY ANOTHER DOLLAR.

• Stayed: July 2007
10  Thank anchalee
Reviewed 13 July 2007

My wife and I stayed at the "Country Inn" ,as the local folks call it, for our very short "honeymoon" before I had to leave for Iraq. I've lived in Berkeley Springs for all 21 years of my life and only moved away this year. But I had always heard about how beautiful the Country Inn was. And in truth it is quite beautiful and it has a GREAT DEAL of potential.

Unfortunately after the inn was bought by a new owner and renamed the "Inn and Spa" things went down hill. My wife and I stayed in their finest room for a total of three nights but were let down by poor roomservice, and unfriendly nature. I have never dealt with a less friendly front desk. I had been staying at a Days Inn at Chambersburg, PA just days before returning to Berkeley Springs and I got much better service (actually I fealt like a king thanks to a manager by the name of Chuck).

Also there is a big problem with handicap access. My wife wrecked her car a day before the wedding and had a chipped pelvis and could hardly walk. Now I had no problem carrying such a beauty up and down the stairs but I wouldn't recommend that anyone with permanent disabilities stay at the Inn.

The wife and I also had the chance to try the restaraunt and bar while staying at the Inn. THANK YOU MR. PENTONEY (The bartender). The bar is more like a small dark tavern. The seats are hard wood and the atmosphere is very nice. The food was not exactly "great" and it was over priced. But my wife and I grabbed two white russians and headed towards the "red room" or gallery and had a good time just chatting and being close.

Overall I think that the room itself was nice and not overpriced but I will say that you are overpriced when it comes to service. I expected more seeing as how I am a native of the area and I expected better treatment. I will not be staying at the Inn again on my own accord, but the Mrs. certainly wants to.

Take my advice, experience the Inn and Spa at Berkeley Springs but don't reserve a whole week at first. Stay a couple of nights and then extend your stay should you so choose.

On another note. I do plan to visit the bar again just to leave Mr. Pentoney a good tip. "get out of the Inn and Spa and find a better bar" and a 20 dollar bill.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank highwayman935
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Cacapon Resort State Park
Cacapon Resort State Park
#3 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Best Western Berkeley Springs Inn
Best Western Berkeley Springs In...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Bavarian Inn
Bavarian Inn
#1 of 3 in Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Spring Mills - Martinsburg North
Hilton Garden Inn Martinsburg
Hilton Garden Inn Martinsburg
#2 of 14 in Martinsburg

Been to Berkeley Springs Spa and Inn? Share your experiences!