“Colonial Inn - WV Room”
Review of The West Virginia Room - CLOSED

The West Virginia Room
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 26 February 2012

There was no one at the restaurant to seat us; we had to ask the desk to send someone. Food was uninviting and over-priced. Service left much to be desired.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

I like the West Virginia Dining Room and the Morgan Tavern at the Country Inn in Berkeley Springs because they offer a variety of sandwhiches for lunch at a very reasonable price. The waitresses have been amazing. They are friendly and attentive and want to please. Our favorite choices include crab cakes which are the best of any restaurant in the area, the club sandwhich, and the angus steak and cheese. They have a choice of sweet potato fries or hand cut fries, salad, or fruit. I usually do not get dessert when I dine out, but it is so fresh and delicious here, so I always have to order a piece of coconut cream pie or carrot cake. The Morgan Tavern has a big TV so you can watch the big game of the day. I thoroughly enjoy eating here. I have always been treated like royalty.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

good down-home food but other selections nice as well
like pan-seared salmon YUM

Reviewed 26 January 2010

The entire evening was great from beginning to end. The young lady who served the dinner was pleasant, smiling, and very helpful ordering. Tiffany explained the dishes and the feed back from other dinners.

The atmosphere in the West Virginia Room was intimate and the decor very grand matching the ambiance of The Country Inn. Paintings and antiques fulled the room making it comfortable and yet interesting.

My husband ordered the oyster rock-a fellow to start which was excellent, than the rack of lamb cooked medium rare. This is something I would never order but I did taste it because my husband loved it so much. I only thing I could say was "Oh my god!" It was the best food I ever tasted. I will be sure to order it on my next visit. I had salmon with capers topped with greens to start and it was so good I was afraid I would not be able to eat my dinner. My dinner was salmon atop washabi mashed potatoes, vegetables in the center and finished off with fresh ginger. It was beautiful and tasted wonderful. We enjoyed the food so much that the server had the chef come out to meet us (which was a nice surprise). Mr. Sheehan ? insisted we try some desert. We had the chocolate bread pudding and it was just the end of a wonderful dinning experiecne.

I have never taken the time or effort to write a review but we just enjoyed ourselves so much I hope others will have the same experience as we did. I plan to be back to eat there this week.

2  Thank Raven1031
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I loved the dining room where I had lunch on a weekday. Since this is located in an older hotel, it is of appropriate scale. The ceilings are not too high, which can detract from that homey, intimate feeling. The ambiance was very nice, and my waitress was attentive.

The food, however, was a different story. First, this is an upscale place but the chef uses commercial soup base instead of making his own stock. I would expect the commercial bouillon powder at a lower end restaurant, but not an upper end one. I could not partake of the soup, since I am sensitive to MSG and to the MSG-related compounds in commercial soup bases.

I ordered a grilled vegetable and tofu sandwich, and when it arrived there was no tofu on it. I was told by the waitress they were out of stock on the tofu. How inconvenient can it be to keep a little on hand? It costs less than $2/lb and you can it at the grocery store. I did not have to pay for the sandwich, just my drink. I left and ate lunch elsewhere.

I will give this place a try again, because some of the dinner offerings look good.

1  Thank EarthHeals