“Solitude and beauty at this getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bruceton Mills
Mountain Creek Cabins
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I purchased a Groupon for these cabins and couldn't wait to have a winter getaway there. The owners were extremely accomodating by handling a last minute holiday reservation with only a few days notice.The cabin we stayed at was immaculate, appliances and furnishings were clean and up to date. We especially enjoyed moonlit hot tubs with an unobstructed view of the stars. No cell service (a good thing!) so be prepared to relax and lose your addictions to your wireless devices. Splendid place to chill. We will be back!

Room Tip: White Tail has a great view of the woods, but the trailhead is right at the bottom of your rental. I...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I thought maybe I had unreasonable expectations of this property (listed as "luxury" rentals by the owners) because the reviews had been uniformally complimentary. We spent three nights in early September in the Caleb cabin and I struggled with writing a review on the property until I read another that detected the same issues as we did.
On the favorable side, the setting is beautiful for the cabins and they are well postioned for privacy taking full advantage of the little creek and surrounding woods. The parking is fine and we did have some very lovely woodland friends and their babies wander across the property as we sat outside on the porch drinking coffee.
Be aware that the cabins are very remote (I'm not sure we would have found it in the dark without the GPS) and the road is very rough and was made more so by the heavy rains of last summer. This is no fault of the property owners and if there was any damage to the immediate area of the cabins from the hurricane backlashes it was not apparent. The cabins are very cute from the outside and as noted previously, well constructed.
OK then....When we arrived we found our sheets in a little pile with a note saying they had been freshly washed for our comfort. I thought this odd at the time (for $169 a night I would expect my bed to be made on arrival) and then I read a previous review about somebody having stained sheets upon arrival so I understand this was a measure to correct that issue. However...the pilows were so stained and lumpy my husband said he wouldn't put his head down on them and when we pulled back the comforter (thin as noted by others) there were blood stains (not specks, blobs) on the underside. I am a lab technician and I am absolutely certain they were blood. They were bad enough that we went to the nearest Walmart (20 miles away) and bought new pillows. On our return trip we were hit by a truck while at a stop sign. Again no fault of the property owners, but renters should be aware this is a very dangerous intersection. It's a runaway exit for trucks to cool their brakes down in the mountains and the T intersection is very narrow for hundreds of trucks a day to make that turn back on the larger roads.
We were not injured and the car was still driveable and we were looking forward to a drink and a visit to the hot tub. You can guess what happened next. The hot tub was not working. There is a notebook in each cabin with contact info for the owners, but our cell phone would not work and we had to wait until the next day and drive out of the dead zone to call the owner. (If you would need emergency services, you may be out of luck) We never did talk or see him, but when we returned from our day trip the tub was operating. I will say that in our case the tub was clean, but a disgusting wet and full ashtray had been left on the railing.
Now I like Jesus as much as the next person, but I found the use of his cross and image as a decorating device in a cabin cloying and unexpected. I guess that's enough of that subject.
On another decorating note, there is a metal spiral staircase that leads to a sleeping loft that we did not use. Apparently enough people had knocked their noggin on the staircase that the owners had duct taped oven hot pads to the risers. Tacky.
We were fully aware that there was no TV and that the computer might not work and we were fine with that. However....the hanging reading light in the corner kept flickering so we moved the couch to see if it was plugged in properly and discovered a frayed cord along with a bunch of dirt and bugs. Moving the furniture is not part of the cabin prep I guess. We left the couch pulled out so they could remedy that. And don't move the fake flower arrangement on top of the refrigerator. There's an uncapped bundle of wires sticking out of the wall that looks kind of scarey.
The bathroom was generally clean and adequate, but I didn't appreciate that (very) old toiletries from previous patrons had not been removed. I'm not going use an open toothbrush that somebody left behind or half a bottle of dandruff shampoo and I figure neither would anybody else. Same issue with the kitchen. Rock hard bags of sugar and suspect looking spices are not helpful.
The kitchen was clean, especially the refrigerator, but we had the same trouble with the dishes the prior review had. There is an elaborate set of instructions left for you as cleaning instructions on departure and they ask you to run the dishes through the diswasher. Well for pity's sake, nobody takes that hour to do that upon departure so we found most of the dishes still greasy from hand washing and the plastic glasses clouded and unnappealing. More things we had to purchase from Walmart. You are also asked to cart your trash half a mile up the road on your way out of town.
Enjoy the surroundings, but change your defination of "luxury".

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Evansthecat
mccllc, Owner at Mountain Creek Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Thank you for your constructive criticism. We have addressed all those concerns that are in our control. Sorry about your automobile accident. The corrections have been made for our future guests.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

The Black Bear cabin was nice but the bad clearly tainted our overall experience.

BAD: The hot tub had a large amount of filthy build up all along the waterline. I had to scrub the whole area, which took about thirty minutes and almost an entire roll of paper towels. It was nasty. The dirty build up also made clear that it occurred over time, so when was the last time the hot tub was cleaned of visible grime???

BAD: The bedding was one thin sheet and a very thin comforter. The sheets were clean but the comforter was not washed before our arrival, which was disconcerting.

COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER: The John Deere themed china was cute, but many pieces were chipped. Some of the plastic glasses were dirty, which made me think that the kitchenware was not checked for cleanliness prior to the next booking. Our cabin was equipped with internet access, but it did not work while we were there for two days. To be 100% fair, the website does say it was a 50-50 connectivity chance as the internet connection could be spotty.

GOOD: Firewood was delivered (for only $5) and we had a great outdoor fire. The kitchen did have a wide slice toaster (for bagels), a crock pot that we used for chili, and necessary kitchen tools including a can opener and corkscrew. When our indoor gas fireplace went out unexpectedly, Mark (the owner) did swing by and let us know that when the room gets too hot the fireplace shuts down automatically. The setting is remote and quiet.

We learned about Mountain Creek Cabins through a Groupon offer, which was 50% off a two night stay. Even with 50% off, we will look to stay elsewhere the next time we venture into the woods for a quiet getaway.

Room Tip: Only two cabins have an outdoor fire pit, so check out the website well if you want this option.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yesharvardsucks

We have since addressed those concerns and are now replacing dishware on a more timely manner. Also the internet service has been upgraded. thanks for letting us know so we could attend to those matters for our future guests.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Adorable, clean and well made little log cabins - everything worked well and loved the little gas fireplace, it made it very homey. Also, the hot tub was fantastic..sitting outside in the hot tub while it was cold out looking out into the woods...a great getaway not that far from DC but it feels like you are in a whole different world. Will recommend to friends :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We enjoyed 4 nights in White Tail Cabin. The cabin was clean and had a little bit of everything. We had purchased a bottle of wine and chose one with screw off top, only to find there had been a cork screw in the utensil drawer!! Being from flat Indiana, we were initially concerned about the narrow road getting to the cabin (we were hauling a trailer), but soon found this was part of the adventure of travelling the back roads of the state and seeing beautiful West Virginia!! The cabin was remote with a wonderful little creek in the back. We would have loved to have had a camp fire, but the weather wasn't our friend during this stay! The location of the cabin was great for sight seeing....near Cooper's Rock State Forest and West Virginia University, and not too far away from southern Pennsylvania's Fort Neccessity National Park and Ohiopyle State Park. We also spent time driving through the awesome Monongahela National Forest. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in West Virginia and would consider a repeat visit to Mountain Creek Cabins in the future.

Room Tip: We chose White Tail as we were hauling a trailer, and this cabin had a flat area to park the trailer...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Vickie D
Reviewed 23 September 2011

First the positive. The setting is gorgeous but remote. We were returning from a very stressful funeral and spent a few days in the Cougar Cabin to unwind. The sound of the creek out back was just what we needed. Now the areas where I think there could be improvement. I do not think these are luxury cabins but they are clean. I don't see how the cabin can be called air conditioned when there is one tiny window unit for the whole cabin near the stairs. The a/c did not reach any of the bedrooms at night. Luckily, we were there when the weather was very pleasant. Also, the sheets for the two beds on the main level were 100% polyester. The sheets for the loft king bed were very nice cotton. The only option for covering oneself at night was a sheet or a very heavy comforter. I looked all over the cabin the first night sure that I would find a blanket. There was not a single one. I emailed the proprietors to ask about a blanket and the response was there are none for the cabins. I was taken aback by this since the cost to stay there was pricey and I would think blanket would be expected.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank crossiam

Another a/c unit has been added to cabin and linens have been upgraded. thanks

Reviewed 26 July 2011

We had an amazing experience at Mountain Creek Cabins. We stayed in the Blackbear cabin for 2 nights- the cabin was very clean and well stocked with movies, games, kitchen supplies, etc. We had everything we needed to make a nice meal and relax. The hot tub was ready to use when we got there and there were great resources on hiking trails, local restaurants and stores, and activities. The internet access was sporadic but enough to send a few emails. The website was impressive considering this is obviously a family-run place-- lots of pictures of the cabins and an extensive list of activities to do around the area. There were plenty of signs pointing us in the right direction since the cabins were nicely tucked away in the woods. All around great location- close to Morgantown for city comforts and just minutes from Cooper's Rock State Forest, which I would highly recommend for a nice hike. Overall, I have nothing negative to say and I would recommend Mountain Creek Cabins for anyone looking for a beautiful, private, hospitable resort.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank karaloyd

Been to Mountain Creek Cabins? Share your experiences!