“Beautiful scenery, nice cabin”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bruceton Mills
Mountain Creek Cabins
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed in the cougar cabin for a few days. Months before I bought the nights at a discounted rate so wasn't sure what to expect. Well the cabin was adorable, well stocked and quite large for a cabin (the biggest one they have). We could here the river running behind us as we sat in the hot jacuzzi looking at the stars.
Unfortunately my son got sick and the owners immediately brought new linens! Thank you!
This is a quiet and relaxing place, way up in the mountains!

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Wow, can't say not one bad thing about this. We really enjoyed ourselves. My daughter and fiancee and another family came with us. It was nice to just get away from everything. Very comfortable place, clean it really made me feel at home. The drive down was long and bumpy but other then that loved this place and look forward to going back to enjoy a peaceful weekend. The only thing I can suggest is that if you anything wal-mart is like 45 minutes away they do have wine and beer but that's it with that being said make sure u come equipped. Thanks for the amazing stay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mrs_Gray311
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was one of the best getaway's ever. If you want a nice tranquil and relaxing cabin, this is the place to stay! The beautiful creek behind the cabins was spectacular to watch and hike along. And sitting in the hot tub while it's snowing out.....well it just doesn't get any better than that. There were plenty of woods in the back to be able to gather some wood to build a fire too. Coopers Rock State Park was not too far away, which is great for those nature folks and the beautiful scenery is phenomenal. We would recommend this location for anyone who just wants to get away from it all. The cabins were nice and cozy and had all the amenities of home. We originally had planned to stay for just 2 nights, but fell in love with the place and ended up staying 2 more. We will definitely plan on going back during peak color season in the fall to enjoy more. The folks that own these cabins are very personable and accommodating.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013

After having a very tumultuous year, and working hard I had hoped to take a vacation to the mountains. My boyfriend had just been released from of the army, and after 8 years, two tours in Afghanistan, he desperately needed a vacation as well. Funds were tight though, and with my vacation time quickly approaching I thought the vacation we had been dreaming about was not going to happen. I jumped on Groupon to peruse vacation deals, and to pout quietly to myself about not being able to have my desired vacation. Serendipitously, I found the deal for Mountain Creek Cabins...oh fate, oh destiny! I bought my voucher, and quickly booked my vacation. I was able to book my birthday, also Veteran's Day, and a week before my one year anniversary with my boyfriend.

When we arrived the Maple Tree cabin was clean, quaint, cozy, but mostly perfect! With a stream babbling loudy in the background I could not have been more pleased. It was all a dream come true! We spent three amazing days cuddling next to a warm fire, relaxing in a hot tub, and watching the abundance of deer couples nuzzling through the woods around us. The last day that we were there we awoke to snow falling, and the world blanketed in white...the only thing more breath taking was the view from Cooper's Rock nearby. The best part about everything was the turned off iphones! Disconnecting from the hustle and bustle was amazing.

My only qualms were that I had to leave to go home, which was disheartening. Additionally, I have to agree with some of the other reviewers, the Christian decor was a bit much.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The owners were friendly and accommodating. The directions on the website were easy to follow. Check-in was simple. Everything in the White Tail cabin worked…hot water, Satellite TV, A/C, fridge, microwave, and hot tub. It is private, rustic, and remote; just be prepared for a bumpy road as you approach the area. I would describe the cabins as "comfortable," but not "luxurious."

We were surprised to find jelly stains inside the fridge, and I wasn’t happy about having to clean a fridge at the start of my vacation, but it didn’t take too much time.

Even though it’s a “non-smoking” resort, there was an ugly ashtray on the outside table, and an even more unsightly bucket on the front porch with tons of cig butts sticking in it. Yuck!

The biggest concern with the place is security. We had no cell or wifi capabilities the entire stay, not even “sporadic” availability. It would be impossible to reach 911 if you had an emergency, and impossible to reach the owners if something wasn’t working. There were no blinds on the kitchen and bathroom windows which felt a little creepy at night. Also, the cabin, especially the kitchen, was quite dark. Fortunately, there was a small portable flashlight that we were able to use to see the dials on the microwave and TV remotes.

A suggestion for the owners: Please have directions for the DVD player available. With three different remotes, we were unable to figure out how to get the DVD player to operate. Fortunately, one of the neighbors was able to somehow figure it out; otherwise, we would have been disappointed to have made a special trip to Blockbuster and not be able to use the DVDs.

A suggestion for guests: Don’t bother with the trails in the back of the cabins. They are not marked, lead no where, and are overgrown. Cooper Rock State Park has a much better trail selection.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LouisePennsylvania
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I’m old and overweight, but I still “get off the couch” from time to time and sign up for some 5K running/walking events. The important thing is not whether you finish in first place, but just that you are out there doing it, no matter how fast.

This past spring, I competed in a 5K at Coopers Rock State Forest near Morgantown, WV. As often happens at these races, they not only give out awards to the top finishers, but they also have drawings for door prizes. On this day, I happened to win the top door prize—a free night at Mountain Creek Cabins not far from Coopers Rock. [See, it does pay off to get off the couch!]

I called recently to set up our visit, and had a good conversation with the owner, but I discovered that the registration process is best done over the Internet. It enabled us to pick the cabin we wanted from among those that were vacant of the eight cabins they offer. We decided on the “Mountaineer” cabin, because we are big WVU fans. The electronic reservation process worked well and the secret code for the electronic door lock on our cabin was sent to us.

This particular log cabin is special, because it is decorated with all sorts of Mountaineer paraphernalia. We certainly felt at home there! The small cabin had a loft bedroom with a spiral staircase. The downstairs had a wood paneled great room with a kitchen, a bathroom with a shower, and another bedroom. It worked perfect for our one night mountain getaway.

It is indeed a getaway! You take the Coopers Rock exit, but head east on old Route 73 over the crest of the big hill, and then cross back over I-68 on a smaller local road called Pisgah Road. The cabins are about four miles from the old highway. Fortunately, there are Mountain Creek Cabins signs directing you through progressively smaller roads all the way to your destination. The cabins are tucked into a wooded area, surrounded by ferns and rocks. It is a lovely location.

There is no Internet and very limited cell service (I found it better to walk up the driveway because there was no signal inside our cabin). However, there is a hot tub on the back porch, and a DVD player which we utilized that night. In this beautiful isolation, I was able to get a lot of writing completed, including this review. Best of all is the bubbling brook running down the mountain, just behind the cabins. I love the melodious sounds the creek makes as it heads for Big Sandy Creek and then the Cheat River Gorge.

I highly recommend Mountain Creek Cabins (http://mountaincreekcabins.com/) if you are looking for a getaway in the greater Morgantown area!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We just got back from a 3 night stay in Maple Tree, one of 8 secluded cabins near Morgantown, Cheat Lake and Cooper's Rock in West Virginia. All of the cabins are within hearing of a babbling mountain creek although Maple Tree, Black Bear, White Tail and Cougar are closer and within sight of the creek.

Although 2 of the cabins, Cougar and White Tail, have satellite TV, the rest have to depend on DVD's for entertainment because they are too far under the trees. Since we have numerous DVD's and our teenage son wasn't with us, it wasn't a problem for us. Although the cabins are very secluded and there was no cell service until we got up the road a couple of miles, it took us less than 30 minutes to be near more restaurants and entertainment facilities that we could count.

Our cabin says it sleeps 3, but unless you have a couple of agile little ones, I would recommend this for a couples get-away, since the double bed is in a loft with a very steep ladder. The main area is cozy with electric heat and an air conditioner and a gas fireplace for ambiance and extra warmth. Outside each cabin is a covered porch with table, chairs, gliders, etc. It varies from one to the other. All cabins have a full kitchen including a dish-washer, TV with DVD, working gas grill and, best of all is a screened hot tub on the porch of every cabin.

They are open year-round as long as you have 4 wheel drive for the fall and winter months but they are pretty well booked during WVU Football season. They also have pizza delivery, which we tried just to see if someone would actually drive at least 10 miles to deliver 1 pizza, which they did. We were able to be there in the middle of the week, but still had 3 other neighbors while we were there.

We would definitely consider going there again.

Room Tip: If you have to have your outside world connection, you need to go with Cougar or Whitetail