“Nice Visit at the Inn” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Charles Town
maryland
“Nice Visit at the Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

We stayed at the Inn for just one night after visiting friends in the area. We found the hotel to be very clean, the rooms quiet, and the staff very friendly and helpful. There was a backlog at checkin time while one of the staff was on break, but staff needs breaks too! The bar in the lobby is only open on Friday and Saturday ( we were there on a Sunday) and we had to ask - they should have an open/closed sign maybe? It surely looked open... The breakfast was very good. Loved seeing the horses being warmed up the next morning. We plan to return to enjoy this spot again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

We came across this hotel by chance. We wanted to be fairly close to Washington prior to our departure home, but also wanted to visit Harpers Ferry an Historic National Park nearby. The Hotel is very grand-looking. We paid about £80 equivalent for our king bed room with excellent views over the horse racing track at the back (races run Wed thro Sat) and watched the riders practising early the next morning. The room was wonderfully spacious, clean and plush and in the evening we took the free shuttle bus to the Casino, around 2 minutes ride from the hotel. It was a bit like an indoor Blackpool and not really our scene but we managed to get something to eat there. The breakfast was okay, not really enough tables for all the residents though. Apart from that we loved this place and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
East Granby, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

This review can be divided into two parts, customer service and the hotel property itself. Let's take the positive first. The hotel is nice and modern. Rooms were clean and relatively spacious with a nice large LCD mounted right on the wall, comfortable bedding, and a more-than-adequate complimentary breakfast.

Unfortunately, first impressions count. The front-desk staff was having all kinds of problems with customers checking in, me included. The sheet that was given to me to sign had a rate much higher than I had reserved for. I had to produce my print-out that showed the correct rate and then it took more time than it should have to rectify the problem. I was not even given an apology and no manger seemed to me on the scene to take charge of what was going on. Caution if staying here...check the rate carefully against what they are having you sign. Too many people were having issues at check in for me to believe this was an isolated issue.

I can say other staff were friendlier during the stay, but again, check-in sets the tone for the entire visit.

When the opening experience and hotel efficiency matches the quality of the property, this will get four stars. Right now, it's three.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dopplersmash
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

This was our first stay at this hotel, but definitely not our last. From check in to check out the staff was friendly, courteous and professional. The hotel is beautifully decorated with spacious, clean rooms, with wonderful linens and comfortable beds. This hotel is conveniently located on the grounds of Charles Town Races and Slots, and every part of our visit, from the shuttle drivers, to the wait staff at the delicious breakfast buffet, was a pleasure, and it was all ours.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Sushi24_10
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

We have been traveling to CT since the casino first opened. It is only an hour away so the majority of trips have not included hotel stays. As a frequent player, I occasionally get offers for free or discounted rooms. This was perhaps the 4th or 5th overnight stay that I have had at the Inn since its opening several years ago.

The staff are all courteous and friendly. The rooms are well appointed -- large, comfortable and nice amenities. Beds and linens are high quality. The shower is odd - they have long and wide glass doors and you have to reach all the way inside to turn on the shower. Because of its positioning you get blasted with the shower before you are ready to hop in.

For the most part the rooms we have had assigned have been clean and well maintained. On one visit we noticed that the carpets in the hallways were terribly soiled. The Housekeeper explained that guests bring up breakfast trays from the free buffet in the morning and they spill food and beverages on the floor. They have worked hard to try to keep in cleaned and it looks as though some carpet replacement have been made. It is sad that in such a short time that guests have managed to ruin this nice property.

The bathroom amenities are nice and there is a small coffee maker. A free buffet breakfast is served every morning from 6:30-10. The pastries, fruit , hard boiled eggs, yougurt and cereal are nice compliments, but the ready made omelettes and hash leave something to be desired. They would be better off eliminating these latter items from the selections.

There is a shuttle bus that runs every 15 minutes to and from the casino and nearby properties. The drivers are also friendly and accommodating.

The Mountain Diner across the street is open 24/7. We have had lunch and dinner there on occasion and it is usually very good and reasonably price. The breakfast servings are huge and they have wonderful pies and cakes that are very tempting.

There is a fitness room that I have never seen being used.

On weekends, don't expect to check in until around 4 PM. It is fun to get a room on the RT side because you can see the horses being walked in the morning and the races in the early afternoon.

The CT Casino is now called the Hollywood Casino at CT. They have just added gaming tables with minimum bets at $25. Believe it or not, they were not hurting for business. The property will not be in full operation until the Fall of 2010 when they will have more restaurants and entertainment, and hopefully the rest of the casino will get the attention it deserves. The staff there seem to be terribly overworked and understaffed. A lot of the slots were out of commission because they are too busy getting new ones moved in and set up.

My suggestion is to wait until Fall when you can drive around and see the beautiful mountains and foilage and perhaps not be held hostage in the casino. Harper's Ferry and Shepherdstown also are great attractions. Payoffs in the casino are not very good.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank CiaoBellaVirginia
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

My husband's job brought us to the Harpers Ferry area for a month and put us up in this hotel. We were very happy with our stay here. Trust me, living out of a hotel with a two year old and a baby isn't easy. But I'm not sure we could have asked for a better place.

The hotel is very busy on the weekends andis pretty dead during the week. I'm sure this is because of the casino. There are a lot of older people and couples...we were one of the few families with kids that I saw during the month there. The staff were always very nice and friendly and made us feel welcome with children. Our daughter got the flu and woke up crying and throwing up in the middle of the night. We let the front desk know in case someone complained and they were nothing but understanding.

The rooms are very nice. Nothing looks cheap...there is a big flat screen television on the wall. We never heard anyone next door or below us. Our neighbor for the month was a co-worker of my husband and said that he didn't hear our kids, either. The beds are very comfy. The bathroom (especially the shower) was very nice. I wish there was a bathtub but we managed to do without.

The breakfast in the morning was wonderful. There was delicious hot food (bacon, pancakes, waffles, omelettes, etc) and tons of pasteries. The women working the breakfast room were always kind and helpful, too.

We didn't ever go into the casino but we loved watching the horses from our hotel window. The shuttles seemed to be taking people to the casino all the time. We did a lot of laundry at the hotel, it was $1.00 per machine. Someone stole my detergent I left down there, so I would recommend not being too trusting.

The hotel is in a nice location...it's about 10 minutes to Harpers Ferry and 1.5 hours to Washington DC. I loved Sheperdstown, WV, which was about 15 minutes away. There were a ton of stores and restauraunts around the hotel.

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. I doubt we'll ever be in the area again but if we were, we'd stay there for sure!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank melissamk222
Hopewell, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2010

Check in did not give me the room ordered (by the Exec. V.P. of Marketing for the casino - Mr. Tony Coroso). I ordered a smoking room, and they said it was not available. They also said they told him that when he placed the reservation for me (while I was on the phone with him). He did not tell me that. Also, upon checkout the woman did not know what she was doing. She charged me again(they had already charged me the night before) but charged me for double the rate I was told to pay at first. Then she tried to correct it (when I caught the error), and she put the wrong among to credit back to my account. Then she made another transaction to put the additional money back. By this time, she had placed a hold on over $200. and when she tried to run the card again, it would not work. Upon returning home, I was contacted by my bank saying that they put a fraud hold on the account because she tried 14 times today to charge me for my room. It was awful. I will never ever never ever stay their again! Also, the hotel is not connected with the casino, and my mother (who uses a scooter) had a very difficult time moving around (walking) to the room, etc. We were very disappointed in the service, the room, the people, and the breakfast. Don't stay here if you want to have a good time.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
#1 of 3 in Harpers Ferry
Knights inn Knoxville Harpers Ferry
The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Been to The Inn at Charles Town? Share your experiences!