“Fantastic Beds!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Charles Town
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for the sake of the Hollywood Casino at Charles Town and enjoyed the beautiful decor in creams and browns, the friendly staff, and the comfortable beds. Our room looked out on the Charles Town Racetrack complex. We could see the racetrack as well as the practice track. The free breakfast was an added plus, but don't expect too much from the hot food. The eggs were those prefab egg omelets with cheese that seem to be making their way to all the free hotel breakfast buffets. The potatoes were cold and grainy. The sausage patties were the best of the hot lot, but my wife said that the sausage patty in yesterday's egg mcmuffin was better. Still, with cold cereal, fruit, yogurt, instant grits, bagels and pastries, it is a very poor dumb soul who can't find something to eat.

Had I known how comfortable the beds were, I would have spent more time sleeping and less time gambling. Also, that friendly staff included several very attractive young ladies. They were "granddaughters" to this old fool, but if a younger man would say that the Hampton Inn has all the attractive women I wouldn't argue with him.

Last note. My picky wife found dust on the baseboards in our room, but I might have stayed there a thousand years and not noticed it. The room also had a frig and microwave and a 42 inch HDTV with Direct TV

Room Tip: If you're in the area to gamble, you might as well have a room with a view of the Charles Town R...

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The room was more than satisfactory, it was great. The price was reasonable, and the staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast provided was exceptional and more than we expecte. We highly recommend it.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Several members of my family booked rooms at Hampton Inn and Suites for a family wedding we were attending nearby. We arrived a 1/2 hour and were able to check in immediately. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Every staff member we had contact with was friendly and helpful. The breakfast area was large and comfortable. There was even an Ihop across from the hotel for those who want a bigger breakfast. Overall a pleasant experience for everyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is a great location for visiting the two notable Civil War. The previous T/A posts were right about the friendly and cheerful staff. We were especially helped by Rachel. There is a very nice Italian restaurant called Mezzaluna nearby; we had 2 dinners and enjoyed the place. I should mention that not all the rooms have microwaves and refrigerators. There are free weights in the fitness room which seems to be coming more usual for Hampton Inns. Basically, you can't go wrong staying here.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel is the best at Charlestown. Friendly helpful staff at checkin and with any questions we had. Our 8 man Golf Trip was delightful thanks to these people and their clean and quiet facilities. Helped us get the shuttle to the Casino. Breakfast was very good and the staff in the breakfast room was helpful and courteous. I would stay here whenever I am in this area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I’ve long thought that Hampton Inns are a triumph of function. If the hotel was a car, it would be a Ford Taurus. If it was a restaurant, it would be Ruby Tuesday’s. If it was a famous actor, it would be Kevin Bacon. Most people know these entities, but none elicit a strong emotional response. This Hampton Inn was true to form – it’s a functional, unremarkable property. Once inside the hotel you could easily be in Charles Town, West Virginia, or Charleston, South Carolina.

Check-in sets the tone for any hotel experience. And the tone established here was transactional efficiency. I approached the front desk and was abruptly greeted with “Can I help you?” Pleasantries were not exchanged, and we immediately proceeded into the task. I passed over my driver’s license and credit card while the associate completed the process. I kept looking for a timer, the kind you see at fast food restaurants to monitor the process. It was as if the associate was incentivized by least time spent and fewest words spoken. Within seconds, I had my room key. The associate certainly receives an A+ for efficiency. But this is not Chipotle or an ATM. A smile would have gone a long way to break the mechanistic rigor.

I ascended to the second floor and immediately noticed the wide hallways. There was enough space to drive a Mini Cooper, and the expansive hallway made the hotel feel more luxurious. The room itself was a testament to Hampton function. The décor will not win earn any Jeff Lewis compliments. Nor will the furniture win any awards for comfort. But I’ll take function over style any day, and the room was in impeccable condition. My best efforts could not locate any housekeeping omissions. The room layout followed the standard hotel blueprint. Upon entering the room the bathroom was immediately to the right. A small closet was a few paces further, and then the spaced opened up to the living and sleeping area. The desk was situated in one corner and the flat screen television in was in the other. There was also a lounge chair. The design caters to the solo traveler.

The shining example of functionality is the standard, portable wood tray. It’s perfect for typing or eating in bed. In fact, it’s the one piece of Hampton Inn that I’d like to have in my house. If this wasn’t the best part of the room, then the television was. I’ve never been to a hotel that offered so many channels. Thank you, DirecTV. If you can’t find a program that’s even mildly entertaining, than you won’t find it on TV anywhere else.

The bathroom was right on the functional cue as well. There was more than enough counter space and more than enough toiletries. I was impressed to see the usual assortment plus a shoe cloth and shower cap. I was also impressed that sliding doors replaced the dollar store shower curtain. The sliding shower doors reminded me of my childhood home. I actually prefer the sliding doors to a shower curtain. I hadn’t seen the frosted doors since the 1980’s, but I must say that they work. What also works is the shower pressure. The shower head is customizable so you can find your perfect pressure.

In terms of location, the hotel is about 10 minutes to Harpers Ferry. An IHOP is a 10-second walk from the lobby. There are several other eateries, a grocery store, and a gas station all within a 5-minute drive. Regarding other hotel amenities, I did not have a chance to evaluate the fitness center or the complimentary breakfast.

In summary, I’ve come to find Hampton Hotels remarkably consistent. From room décor to amenities, there is no deviation from the mean. This hotel is true to form. There is nothing about the room or the property which departs from the typical Hampton hotel. My impression of the staff, however, does deviate from the norm. I just wrote another review of an aging property which was kept afloat by a dedicated staff. This is an example of a fairly modern property which is weighed down by a disengaged staff. Fortunately, I did not experience any issues during my stay. But my interactions give me little confidence that they would care to resolve a problem. I would stay here again because there is nothing troublesome about the property itself. But the staff’s lack of consideration does give me pause. In other words, “Buyer be aware”.

Pros:
• True to form Hampton Inn property
• Extensive cable channel lineup
• Convenient to Harpers Ferry
Cons:
• Disengaged staff
• Décor will not earn any Jeff Lewis compliments

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank scl44
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Friendly and helpful staff, pleasant room, attractive lobby, and good location. Have stayed here several times over 2+ years and always had a good experience. Breakfast service offers many choices, hot or cold, and has excellent staffing--a nice change.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
#2 of 3 in Harpers Ferry
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
#3 of 3 in Shepherdstown

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town? Share your experiences!