“Gem in the woods”

Hillbrook Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Charles Town B&B and Inns
“Gem in the woods”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We were looking for a quiet spot to stay for a one night getaway while the kids were both away at camp. We were delighted to find this gem tucked back in the woods outside of Charles Town. We stayed in the Snuggery tucked under the eaves on the back of the house with a lovely view of the amazing grounds.

The grounds are filled with great spots to sit and enjoy.. The wooden swing hanging from a huge old tree, hammocks strung tree to tree, a patio with fire pit niched behind tall boxwoods and crape myrtles. Lovely spaces to set the stage for quiet moments.

Breakfast was beautifully set with antique china and crystal, the perfect compliment to a delicious start of our day. We reminisced about our stay over grilled pineapple crepes. By the time the second course of delicate omelets served with a creamed spinach and wild mushroom puffed pastry, we determined that there was no reason we couldn't stay a second night!

The only down side of our stay was that we stayed on a Tuesday and Wednesday when dinner is not served. That, however, is a perfect excuse for us to return for a weekend this fall to enjoy another season at Hillbrook!

Room Tip: The website for Hillbrook allows you to see exactly where your room is located in a great 360 view
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2011

Thank you for noticing all the "lovely spaces to set the stage for quiet moments" and our sumptuous two-course gourmet breakfast. It was truly an honor to have you extend your stay to two evenings! I understand the downside was it was during the week, so dinner was not being served. However, I agree that it is the perfect excuse to return...I know you will not be disappointed in Christine's dining experience.

We also appreciate that you noticed the room locator on the web-site. We want to make things are simple as possible for guests! We hope to see you this fall! ~ Sincerely, Carissa Zanella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 18 July 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at this spectacular inn. My husband is from England and was impressed with the beauty of the home. We had the five course meal and the food was magnificent and the staff were very friendly.

It is a tidbit hot in July but each room had its own air conditioning unit. There wasnt any television in the room but we came to enjoy one another and not a show.

There is no fitness center but no worries because the mountain trails are only down the highway and you can get plenty of exercise walking the area.

We would definitely visit this place again.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I stumbled upon the Hillbrook Inn while looking for a place to stay with my husband for our 12th anniversary. The pictures online were beautiful and the price was perfect. I loved the setting so much - we are big fans of the outdoors and loved being able to walk the grounds, enjoy a cup of coffee outside in the morning, and feel like we were out in the country. Our room was small but very cozy and comfortable. It would be great in the winter to have the fireplace going! I also loved the added bonus of the Ipad and Keurig!! My only complaint was that I couldn't get the water in the shower to an even temperature - it was either scalding hot, or cold. But that didn't bother me too much.

Breakfast was delicious and filling the next morning, and we definitely appreciated the later check-out time. All the staff that we met were incredibly polite, friendly, and helpful. I will definitely recommend this to my friends!!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
I am happy to hear that you stumbled upon the Hillbrook and that is was worth your visit to celebrate your 12th anniversary! Thank you for all the wonderful comments and noticing all the amenities in the room. I do apologize deeply for the shower, but appreciate your honesty so we can have someone look at it for us.

We welcome an opportunity for you to join us for dinner in our elegant dining facility. It is truly an experience I think you would enjoy. However, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Mediterranean Cafe in town.

We enjoyed a delicious meal at the Mediterranean cafe in town, but will definitely be back to enjoy a meal at the Hillbrook, maybe at Christmas - we heard it is beautiful in the dining room at that time of year! Although we are happy you enjoyed breakfast on the sun porch in the morning, as well as our staff. I will be sharing your information with them! We appreciate any recommendations that you share and always look forward to seeing you in the future. ~ Sincerely, Carissa Zanella
Biglerville
Reviewed 11 July 2011

My husband and I shared one of the nicest weekends at the Hillbrook Inn. Our cottage was absolutley beautiful, the food was out of this world, and the staff was more than accomodating! We will definitely return! This is truly a hidden gem!

Room Tip: Staying in a cottage on the premises is truly a delight!
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
It was such a nice visit with you and your wonderful husband! It was our pleasure to spend the weekend making it special for you both. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed a cottage and our food! We feel we are the "best hidden secret in Charles Town"! We look forward to hearing from you in the future. ~ Sincerely, Carissa Zanella
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed her for our anniversary. It was a wonderful, relaxing experience. Our room was "The Point" - compact and comfortable. THe grounds were lovely. We had a two night package with dinner. The dinner was exquisite - the high point of our trip. We will definitely come back.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the hospitality and "exquisite dinner"! It was an honor to share the Hillbrook Inn with you and create a wonderful anniversary experience for you both. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the Point - I love the tunnel entrance to the room, you don't find that often! We look forward to future visits with you. ~ Sincerely, Carissa Zanella
Midland, Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2011

My husband and I visited Hillbrook for a special anniversary. Although I had visited the Inn before, I had never stayed overnight, so this was a real treat. Though short, it was an amazingly relaxing trip. The Inn and the grounds are absolutely beautiful and completely took me away from the stresses of daily life and work.

We stayed in the Bamford Suite, where I'd love to just move in permanently! There was lots of room to spread out and the furnishings were very comfortable. Loved the antiques in the room and all over the Inn. The iPad was a nice touch, and now I may have to buy one for my husband, he loved it!

The breakfast was wonderful! If I ate that well every day, I'd be in trouble! We visited on a Tuesday, so did not have the opportunity to have dinner there too. Wish I had planned that better so we wouldn't have had to go out, though we did enjoy a local restaurant on Carissa's suggestion.

Carissa, Naysa, Bobbi ... thank you for making my anniversary extra special. The service was perfect, and I couldn't have asked for anything more. My biggest regret is that we only had one night there. I look forward to recommending Hillbrook to all my friends who enjoy the B&B experience. This was first-rate, and by far, the best B&B we have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Bamford Suite has a private entrance and its own parking spot.
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
It was such a pleasure to share the Hiillbrook Inn with you! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the Bamford Suite, one of our personal favorites as well! I am even happier that you spent such a special anniversary with us and we were able to help create a memory to last a lifetime! Best wishes today and always ~ Sincerely, Carissa Zanella and Your Hillbrook Friends
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I loved the Hillbrook Inn. My husband and I took a brief weekend getaway and decided on the Hillbrook. The grounds were absolutely beautiful . The Inn is gorgeous and I loved all the antiques throughout.

The room was perfect, especially the jacuzzi tub! I rarely take baths in hotels, but I couldn't resist. The room was also very well air-conditioned, which is rare in a historic hotel. The ipad in each room was a nice touch.

We had the four course dinner one evening and breakfast the next day - both meals were fabulous and the staff lovely. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Dear CityGirl6,
I am happy to hear that you and your husband got to enjoy a great escape from the Baltimore area to our Inn! Thank you for all the wonderful comments on the grounds and antiques the Inn has to offer guests.
I am ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed the whirlpool tub in the room, they are hard to resist. We do have a wonderful air conditioning system in the cottages that guests often enjoy and we are happy to hear that it made your stay comfortable. The extra amenities in the rooms are very important to us as well. We want guests to enjoy the new i-pads, the robes, wines and more. It is important that no stone goes unturned and appreciate your feedback…we always like new ideas too!
I will tell the staff the wonderful review on the food. They spend an extensive amount of time planning menus around the dietary needs, restrictions and dislikes of the guests in the dining room, and appreciate when it does not go unnoticed! We hope you have a wonderful day and look forward to visiting with you in the future.
~Sincerely, Carissa Zanella
Carriage Inn Bed and Breakfast
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 6 in Charles Town

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!