“Hidden GEM!”
Review of Hillbrook Inn

Hillbrook Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 January 2012

What a wonderful experience! My fiance and I bought a living social deal and were so amazed by our stay here. It was like staying at a friend's vacation home with amazing service and unbelievable food! We checked in on Saturday afternoon and Bobby provided a tour of the Inn as well as provided a brief history of her family taking over the property. This Inn is family owned and operated and they really welcome you and make you feel like a part of the "Hillbrook Family". We had a plate full of delicious home made cookies as a bottle of Champagne and strawberries waiting for us in our room. We chose to stay in the Lock's Ness room which had a beautiful view of the property and the limestone. We chose to make reservations in the dining room for the 6:00 Three Course dinner. The setting was intimate and the service was wonderful. Before we went I wasn't sure whether this place would be able to provide a "fine dining" experience but my expectations were exceeded. The dinner began with a wonderful homemade tomato soup and was followed by the best filet mignon I have ever tasted. It was served with carrots, asparagus, sugar snap peas and risotto. The herbed butter on top of the filet was the perfect touch. The filet was cooked to perfection! We ended the meal with coffee and the most amazing dessert I have ever tasted. I cannot even begin to describe the amazing confection the executive chef created.

Sunday morning breakfast was also included in our deal and as with dinner, the food far exceeded my expectations. Fruit parfait to start followed by a delectable piece of spinach quiche with crisp bacon and roasted tomatoes that were to die for! There was also a homemade banana nut muffin to close out the meal.

So I know I have gone on and on about the food but I must also share that the hospitality and service that was provided by these wonderful people beats anything that I have seen at a 5 star hotel. They were friendly, warm and inviting. All there to make sure your stay was an amazing experience. My favorite part was that the chef's visited everyone's table after each meal and asked if everyone enjoyed their meals.

This place is truly a special place that I would highly recommend to anyone. We will definitely return!!

2  Thank foreigngoddess
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

Dear Foreign Goddess:
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience! It is an honor to hear that you felt as if you were staying at a “friends vacation home”. Our goal at Hillbrook is for everyone to feel at home from the moment they walk through the door. Our guests are “our family and friends”, and it is important that each guest feels like they are the first and last to walk through the door. My step-father always notices when someone walks into a room, and greets them with a smile no matter how busy he is. It is the best feeling in the world to know someone cared enough that you were present…I want each of my guests to walk away from Hillbrook feeling that they are that special! I am excited to tell my staff how thrilled you were about the “amazing service and unbelievable food”. We look forward to seeing you in the future. Sincerely, Carissa Zanella

Reviewed 29 January 2012

This was our second stay at Hillbrook and we were not disappointed. We stayed in the fall cottage and everything was as advertised.
We also did the five course dinner and it was excellent.
They go out of there way to make you feel welcome.

1  Thank Cj1701
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear CJ1701,
It is nice to hear that you were back to the Hillbrook and enjoyed your stay. It is always nice to see familiar faces! We will tell Christine that you had a delightful five course dinner and will commend the entire staff for making you feel welcome! We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

The property is very nice in a rural setting. The dinner(not included in rate) and breakfast were very good. The service was good but the room's heat was supplied by a noisy and variable in-wall unit. The temp seemed to vary 20 degrees at what ever setting (there was no temp. indicator). We went on a "Living Social" deal which turned out to not be much of a deal with us paying $28 more thant the room rate for a bottle of champagne, some cookies, and two after dinner drinks.

Room Tip: Don't get the smaller rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your honesty! This was the first living social special that we ran and enjoy hearing the feedback. We wanted packages to be value added packages, giving each guests something more for their stay. We had a very positive response to the "living social package" and apologize if you feel it was not the value you had wished for. If you want to contact Hillbrook I would be happy to talk to you and make things right for you on your next stay if you choose.
Carissa Zanella

Reviewed 25 December 2011

Best B&B my wife and I have stayed at, the main house is charming, rooms were great, the property is beautiful and the food was top rate. There were no flaws in this B&B, no expense spared. The Ipads in the rooms were a nice touch! Best one in the area by far!

Room Tip: We booked in the main house but were upgraded to the summer cottage. It was a wonderful room!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom B

Thank you for the comment "hidden gem", it is an honor to share Hillbrook with each of our guests. Thank you for taking notice to all the touches, especially the i-pads and the food. We are happy to hear that you were able to upgrade to the summer cottage and were able to enjoy every minute of your stay! We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed for two nights and enjoyed every bit of our stay! The rooms are beautifully decorated and the entire property is fantastic. Every single person at the Inn was friendly, accommodating, and professional. We truly enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was quite good and we enjoyed that as well.
We did eat dinner there one evening and felt it was good but not worth the hefty price tag but that did not detract from our enjoyment of the beautiful property. We'll just explore dining options in the local area during future stays. We will return for the wonderful ambiance of the property.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank BBBSTEPS
HBInn, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

We are so happy you were able to spend two nights with us! Thank you for mentioning our rooms and property! Our staff works very hard to create an atmosphere that is warm and inviting, therefore, I will be happy to tell them you enjoyed your stay. I will also share your feelings about the dining, I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the dining experience, but happy to hear that it did not distract from your stay. In the future we would love to make it up to you…or point you into a direction for dining in the area. We look forward to seeing you in the future and hope you enjoy the day! Sincerely, Carissa Zanella

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Carissa is an amazing hostess! Everything was taken care of for us; room was spectacular --- everything the website showed and more! Christine in the kitchen did an amazing job with our 3-course dinner - including coming out to the dining room afterwards. It was the perfect weekend getaway where we didn't have to do anything except relax and enjoy the beautiful inn and each other!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Tim B,
It was a pleasure to share the Hillbrook with you and your wife. I am happy to hear that your wife was able to take advantage of the spa while visiting and you were able to get to read. Hillbrook is a special place to us and anytime we can create a relaxing atmosphere for guests, we feel we have accomplished something great. Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed in the main house and enjoyed a stress-free stay. My wife enjoyed both a pedicure and a massage, while I spent time catching up on my reading. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was very good. The rooms were comfortable and spacious, and we would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Carriage Inn Bed and Breakfast
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 6 in Charles Town

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!