“Great getaway spot”

Ranked #1 of 6 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great getaway spot”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The inn is near Harper's Ferry National Park and town -- both great places to visit. The staff was very helpful and friendly, everything was very clean and neat and offered great breakfast food. Nearby is horse racing which was fun to watch. The attached casino was very busy so we didn't spend much time there. There are great places around the property to relax. I had a facial in the spa and that was fantastic! The nice stroll from the inn to the spa was relaxing, even with the need of an umbrella (provided in the room). They thought of everything!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
It was a true pleasure to share the Inn with you both and I am happy to hear that we “thought of everything”. We take a lot of time trying and love to hear the feedback to help us to maintain and get better and everything we do here at the Hillbrook Inn! I am also happy to hear that you had a fantastic facial! I have to say it is a very popular service and enjoyed by many. I do hope you visit with us in the future to relax and enjoy the area!
Carissa Zanella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I loved our one night getaway to Hillbrook Inn. The Inn was beautiful, the accomodations lovely, the food delicious and the staff very friendly and knowlegable. The spa was also great and relaxing.. We cannot wait to return and have told our friends about our experience.

Room Tip: We loved the Locke's Nest it was the highest point of the Inn and very spacious.
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for your kind comments about your accommodations, food and staff at our Inn! I am also happy to hear that you where able to take advantage of the spa and relax a bit during your stay. It is nice to know that our guests have had a well rounded experience!
Virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I went here for a girls getaway during exam week and absolutely loved it! The place was extremely charming and completely relaxing. The bed was big and comfortable. The fireplace was wonderful. Everything about the room and the experience was perfect for helping us relax during a difficult exam time. The breakfast the next day was delicious! It added a perfect way to end the short getaway from college. I can't wait to go back and would recommend this lovely B&B to anyone!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
I am happy that we got to be a part of your “Girls Get-a-way” weekend during exam week. I know what it is like to study hard and needing an escape. I am glad to hear that you found what you needed at the Hillbrook Inn! Best wishes with school!
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Hillbrook Inn before having our first child, and it was exactly what we were looking for. Beautiful property, friendly staff, great massages, great food. Couldn't have been happier. Great place to get away and just relax.

Room Tip: We got upgraded to the Spring Cottage and it was awesome!
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
We are so happy that you and your wife where able to have a relaxing Baby Moon! More importantly we wish you both a lifetime filled with joy, laughter and love with the new baby! It is such an exciting time in life with so much to offer. Best wishes with creating those memories and appreciate that we could be a small part of that with you both!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband and I spent one night in the Snuggery with a Living Social deal. Before arriving, we went on a bike ride along the C&O Canal and Potomac River in Harper's Ferry, which was a great way to spend the day. The town is nearby and so cute. The grounds at the Hillbrook Inn are beautiful, the staff is pleasant, and the food was fantastic. My favorite part of the experience was getting a facial from Angie. It was the best spa experience I've ever had. The roman tub and ipad in the room and the hammock outside were great features, too. I'm really glad to read that the owners just bought new mattresses for the Inn because that was the only thing that I thought could be improved. If you want a special weekend away, this is a nice place for relaxation, a little bit of luxury, and an outdoorsy adventure. I can't wait to go back.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Thank you for your kind words! It was wonderful to share the Inn with you. I agree with the comment about Angie, she is amazing at facials! I hope you have a wonderful day, and look forward to see you in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Hillbrook is a lovely getaway from the DC Metro area. We stayed for two nights for a little R&R. The rooms are well appointed, and equipped with iPads if you choose to stay "connected." The grounds are semi-pastoral, quiet and pretty. We availed ourselves of the spa for a massage, which was wonderfully convenient. The staff is superb, and we liked that the chefs of breakfast and dinner come out to talk with the guests. They were very accommodating of dietary needs. It's convenient to the Appalachian trail (for day-hiking) and Harper's Ferry (for signtseeing).

Room Tip: We stayed in "Point" which has a hilariously tiny entryway, but is a lovely cozy room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
We appreciate the time that you took to write a review of the Hillbrook Inn! We are happy that you were able to take advantage of a little R&R while visiting. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed Harpers Ferry! It is so beautiful there and many of our guests spend the day on the river, hiking or even biking. We hope that you will be back to visit in the future!
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Initially I was supposed to go on this trip with my husband, but due to a last minute work situation he wasn't able to attend. I had to arrange for my dear friend to come with me so we reschedule the date for the following weekend after the original one. The employees at this location proceeded to share different information with me every time I called, there were many inconsistencies in the planning. This place only offers a 7 course dinner and a 3 course lunch. The breakfast is already pre-arranged so there is no menu. We were greeted by the inn-keeper with a major attitude. Every interaction I have had with this place was a negative one. One hour before arrival I received a call from the owner inquiring as to why I wasnt there for my scheduled "lunch at 1pm" which really annoyed me because I had never scheduled a lunch or dinner and had already by that point had several conversations with different staff members about that very topic. So, upon arrival the owner greeted my friend and I with a very fake smile and treid to tell me that her staff is right and that they would never do anything poorly because she has trained them well. I simply told her that I was repeating what I had heard from several other members about the booking, but she interepted to defend her staff telling me how this could never happen.

So clearly my experience was not a good one and I would like to let others know so that they know what they are getting themselves into ahead of time.

3 things; service is bad, food involves many courses and is very expensive (85 per person) atleast, there aren't many choices, they tell you what you will order and try to get your food allergies under consideration.

the propery does'nt have much life to it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank angel f
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Angel F:
I appreciate that you took the time to write a review and apologize if you felt that the Inn was not right for you. In addition, I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I was unhappy with you at any point in time. That was not the case. I realize that sometimes circumstances that are out of our control arise and therefore we have to make adjustments. This is why we honored a move to the first cancellation to the following weekend even though you called to cancel your reservation at 6:00pm the same day as your reservation. We were clearly within the seven day reservation cancellation policy and had also prepared your 6:00pm dinner for you as promised for your original reservation, which we also cancelled after it was already prepared. We thought accommodating the move was the right thing to do since your husband was called to work unexpectedly, with no additional fees attached.

Again, I deeply apologize for any miscommunication you may feel my staff may have had with you. As I stated at the inn, I was asking for details because it is my job to make sure that each employee has the right information for guests. I need to make sure during trainings my staff has the tools and right information for guests. If I gave you the impression that I was telling you I was a perfect trainer and my employees are perfect I deeply apologize! I can assure you we are beyond perfect, however, I can say we do strive to do the best we can in every circumstance.
Through the miscommunication a lunch reservation was made for you, and I called to make sure you were able to attend when you did not arrive, to find out that you would not be joining us for the afternoon again. We apologize for making the reservation and assuming that you would be joining us for lunch on Sunday evening with your dear friend. Although, I am happy to see that you joined us at breakfast though, and I hope that our adapted menu for your friends gluten free diet was acceptable to her and she at least got to enjoy her time with you, because that was the most important part of the trip anyway. Time with someone special!

Typically we do have three-course dinners $45.00 per person and five-course dinners $65.00 per person offered Thursday through Sunday as we had the weekend before. But for our guests that are repeat and requested a seven-course dinner such as we used to do, we only felt it fair to answer their wish a few times a year. Therefore, we will be bringing it back a couple of times a year with lunch as well, and apologize if that interfered with your stay. As for the menu, we buy fresh for our gusts and also try to use local growers when possible. Therefore, we design menus off the dietary needs, restrictions and dislikes of everyone in the dining room and accommodate the needs of our guests, whether they are gluten free, diabetic, or simply just don’t like mushrooms.

Therefore, I am sorry that you had a very negative experience at the Hillbrook Inn. If there was anything more I could have done to make the stay more enjoyable I wish I could have done so. I do wish you the best in the future in finding an escape that is fitting for you, your husband or your friend.
~ Sincerely, Carissa Zanella
The Ledge House Bed and Breakfast
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 6 in Charles Town

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!