“Dickens of an inn”

Ranked #1 of 6 Charles Town B&B and Inns
BRISTOW
“Dickens of an inn”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My wife and I stayed in the aptly named Snuggery, a wonderful little room at the top of stairs on the rear upper level of the inn. We loved the cozy room, with its little private deck. The room is warmly decorated in patterned wall paper and curtains. There is a double bed, a love seat, an armoire for hanging things and a small bathroom with a jacuzzi soaking tub. Cookies, wine and coffee were provided in the room (wine at extra charge). The inn itself is right out of Charles Dickens. I was moved to start Little Dorrit from the Dickens collection in the library. We joined friends for the three-course supper one night and enjoyed two breakfasts. The food was fresh and expertly prepared by executive chef Christine Hale. Our supper was a large salad, very fresh and flavorful Mahi Mahi, and an delicious slice of pecan pie. There are natural springs on the property and the streams run amazingly clear, with several fat geese to greet you. Side trips to Sheperdsville, Harpers Ferry and Charles Town are recommended; the area history is rich and still evident in buildings, museums and exhibits.

Room Tip: The snuggery is the smallest room, but we loved it!
Dear Phil4dar:
I loved the title “Dickens of an Inn”! More importantly thank you for taking the time to write a review. It truly means the world to both my husband and I, as well as our staff. It was nice to read about your room, reading, dining, the property and relaxation. In addition, we love our geese, and have also welcomed the goslings onto the property as well. It is truly an honor to work and Hillbrook and share it with so many wonderful guests! We look forward to visiting with you in the future and hope you have a wonderful day!
Carissa Zanella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The inn is near Harper's Ferry National Park and town -- both great places to visit. The staff was very helpful and friendly, everything was very clean and neat and offered great breakfast food. Nearby is horse racing which was fun to watch. The attached casino was very busy so we didn't spend much time there. There are great places around the property to relax. I had a facial in the spa and that was fantastic! The nice stroll from the inn to the spa was relaxing, even with the need of an umbrella (provided in the room). They thought of everything!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
It was a true pleasure to share the Inn with you both and I am happy to hear that we “thought of everything”. We take a lot of time trying and love to hear the feedback to help us to maintain and get better and everything we do here at the Hillbrook Inn! I am also happy to hear that you had a fantastic facial! I have to say it is a very popular service and enjoyed by many. I do hope you visit with us in the future to relax and enjoy the area!
Bethesda, MD
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I loved our one night getaway to Hillbrook Inn. The Inn was beautiful, the accomodations lovely, the food delicious and the staff very friendly and knowlegable. The spa was also great and relaxing.. We cannot wait to return and have told our friends about our experience.

Room Tip: We loved the Locke's Nest it was the highest point of the Inn and very spacious.
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for your kind comments about your accommodations, food and staff at our Inn! I am also happy to hear that you where able to take advantage of the spa and relax a bit during your stay. It is nice to know that our guests have had a well rounded experience!
Virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I went here for a girls getaway during exam week and absolutely loved it! The place was extremely charming and completely relaxing. The bed was big and comfortable. The fireplace was wonderful. Everything about the room and the experience was perfect for helping us relax during a difficult exam time. The breakfast the next day was delicious! It added a perfect way to end the short getaway from college. I can't wait to go back and would recommend this lovely B&B to anyone!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
I am happy that we got to be a part of your “Girls Get-a-way” weekend during exam week. I know what it is like to study hard and needing an escape. I am glad to hear that you found what you needed at the Hillbrook Inn! Best wishes with school!
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Hillbrook Inn before having our first child, and it was exactly what we were looking for. Beautiful property, friendly staff, great massages, great food. Couldn't have been happier. Great place to get away and just relax.

Room Tip: We got upgraded to the Spring Cottage and it was awesome!
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
We are so happy that you and your wife where able to have a relaxing Baby Moon! More importantly we wish you both a lifetime filled with joy, laughter and love with the new baby! It is such an exciting time in life with so much to offer. Best wishes with creating those memories and appreciate that we could be a small part of that with you both!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband and I spent one night in the Snuggery with a Living Social deal. Before arriving, we went on a bike ride along the C&O Canal and Potomac River in Harper's Ferry, which was a great way to spend the day. The town is nearby and so cute. The grounds at the Hillbrook Inn are beautiful, the staff is pleasant, and the food was fantastic. My favorite part of the experience was getting a facial from Angie. It was the best spa experience I've ever had. The roman tub and ipad in the room and the hammock outside were great features, too. I'm really glad to read that the owners just bought new mattresses for the Inn because that was the only thing that I thought could be improved. If you want a special weekend away, this is a nice place for relaxation, a little bit of luxury, and an outdoorsy adventure. I can't wait to go back.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Thank you for your kind words! It was wonderful to share the Inn with you. I agree with the comment about Angie, she is amazing at facials! I hope you have a wonderful day, and look forward to see you in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Hillbrook is a lovely getaway from the DC Metro area. We stayed for two nights for a little R&R. The rooms are well appointed, and equipped with iPads if you choose to stay "connected." The grounds are semi-pastoral, quiet and pretty. We availed ourselves of the spa for a massage, which was wonderfully convenient. The staff is superb, and we liked that the chefs of breakfast and dinner come out to talk with the guests. They were very accommodating of dietary needs. It's convenient to the Appalachian trail (for day-hiking) and Harper's Ferry (for signtseeing).

Room Tip: We stayed in "Point" which has a hilariously tiny entryway, but is a lovely cozy room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
We appreciate the time that you took to write a review of the Hillbrook Inn! We are happy that you were able to take advantage of a little R&R while visiting. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed Harpers Ferry! It is so beautiful there and many of our guests spend the day on the river, hiking or even biking. We hope that you will be back to visit in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charles Town
Carriage Inn Bed and Breakfast
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 6 in Charles Town

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!