“Dog-friendly INN -Attention to detail, great service, and a gorgeous property”
Review of Hillbrook Inn

Hillbrook Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The perfect get away for a spring or summer weekend - and the bonus is they treat dog companions as well as they do the guests. You feel very special from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. There is plenty of manicured glass for any dog friend to find hours of pleasure. Equally enjoyable is all of the special touches and the excellent breakfast and five-course dinner.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

It was a pleasure to hear that you think Hillbrook is a perfect escape for the spring or summer weekend for you and your “furry friend”. You are all important guests to us and also make us feel special when we know we accomplished our goals for you! So, thank you for the kind words and appreciation for what we do every day and noticing the special touches.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

A lovely couples get away. We enjoyed walking the grounds and playing horseshoes.

Room Tip: Do not pick "The Lookout". The room is small, stuffy, poorly insulated and the AC unit is...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the kind words about the lovely get-a-way and the grounds. I read your “room tips” and I apologize for the air unit. Although, I can’t change the physical room size, I did purchase a new one yesterday and it is being installed today. All I can do is try to make things better for guests when they make suggestions. Therefore, thank you deeply for your comments because it makes us strive to be better!

Reviewed 18 May 2012

The property was lovely, the food was fantastic, and the people couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. I loved the pedicure - so relaxing. I felt really pampered. We also liked the little touches like homemade cookies in our room, special coffee whenever we wanted it, and bottled water. We can't recommend this highly enough!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the kind accolades! I am so happy to hear that you felt pampered at the spa and were able to enjoy the entire property. We hope you have a wonderful day and look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Our first experience of the Hillbrook Inn was when we drove up from Washington DC for the Mother's Day Open House that Hillbrook inn had sent us a postcard about. This was about 22 years ago, and our only souvenir of that day is a Polaroid photo of my wife, our 7-year-old son, and me. We enjoyed ourselves that day but (inexplicably) did not return to the Hillbrook Inn until about 15 years later. From then on, we have visited the Inn on average two or three times a year, and we often take friends with us. This year, 2012, I received an e-mail about a special Mother's Day Luncheon they were having, so I decided we would attend the luncheon and bring our now 29-year-old son along so we could re-create the photo from 22 years ago. We all had a most wonderful time -- we had Chef Christine Hale's magnificent three-course lunch, we took lots of pictures, and then our son drove home while my wife and I enjoyed a superb dinner, an overnight stay in a marvelously comfortable room in the Main House, and Hillbrook Inn's signature breakfast on the sunlit enclosed porch overlooking the vast, well-groomed lawn. As we drove home Monday afternoon, my wife and I agreed it was one of the best 24-hour experiences we have ever had.

Room Tip: I like the rooms in the Main House, which are easy and quick to get to after finishing a fantastic f...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Mr. Dick N: “A Most Memorable Mother's Day 2012” was a fantastic headline to read, so thank you! I truly enjoyed talking to you and your beautiful family! It is a wonderful story and I enjoyed seeing that photograph while you visited. We will have to get them copied and framed and hang them in the Inn! Words can express how much our guests truly mean to us and getting to know them is really why we own the Hillbrook Inn, because it makes the guests experience special but also enhances our day! Thank you for being part of our dreams and we look forward to you your next visit! Tell the family we enjoyed the time as well and look forward to the next visit! Oh, please tell Mrs. N that it is "National Macaroon Day" on May 31 so she will have to bake those for all her friends and family!

Reviewed 15 May 2012

My husband and I just came back from our second getaway to Hillbrook Inn, and it was just as wonderful the second time around! I would recommend this place to anyone who loves to be comforted, and who really appreciates fine food made with the best ingredients, in a well-thought-out menu, beautifully presented, and an excellent wine list to accompany it.

Dear Michelle S:
It is always a pleasure to have you at the Hillbrook Inn! I am happy that you enjoyed the sumptuous food again…it often gets me in trouble. It is hard for me to turn down food when the Chefs are busy cooking and ask “do you want some?” So, thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

I would *highly* recommend Hillbrook Inn. Those who write that it's overpriced are nuts. The service, rooms and the food were incredible! I've put all this on my FB page, too -- and all my friends want to go!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MarkieM30242
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Dear MarkieM: Thank you for your supportive words, which really touched me when I read your review. Although I know I shouldn’t take all I read to heart, it is hard sometimes! We work very hard in making Hillbrook special for all our guests and appreciate “all” the feedback, positive and negative! We can only make the promise to continue to strive to provide the best service, atmosphere and experience for everyone that walks through our doors. So, thank you for noticing and appreciating all we offer! It was an honor to have you at the Hillbrook and look forward to your future visits!

Reviewed 11 May 2012

The Hillbrook Inn is such a wonderful place for a getaway! We stayed for two nights in April and our time there barely felt real. The staff helped me plan for the trip in advance and gave us the perfect balance between independence and care.

The grounds and inn are absolutely gorgeous. It's an old place but the inside is perfectly maintained with a nice blend of warm colors, modern amenities and antiques. We stayed in the Point for our first night, and the pictures make it seem smaller than it is. There's a small electric fireplace in the corner, a table and chairs, and Keurig, in addition to the usual bedroom items. For our second night, we stayed in the Bamford Suite and it's hard to articulate how gorgeous it was. Rich purple colors, comfortable bed and couches, and the porch connected for some downtime outside. There were windows all over the room, which balanced the dark wood and hardwood floors.

I really liked the fact that the inn was an experience in and of itself. There aren't TVs in the rooms, which made it less tempting to stay inside. If you do need your dose of technology, the wi-fi worked well and there were iPads in each of the rooms, which I feel was a great alternative to TVs. We played horseshoes, walked around the grounds and spent some time in the common spaces when we weren't out exploring Charles Town and Harper's Ferry.

We had one of our dinners at the Inn and were satisfied - it's hard to complain about filet mignon. Our neighbor didn't like how his was cooked so the chef herself brought him another one, after insisting that he keep (and finish!) the first. Breakfast both days was good; one day was a little lighter, but the second had blueberry pancakes and bacon, which was a nice start to our day.

We also had back, neck and shoulder massages from the Gate House spa. It was a nice option compared to a full body - a half hour at a less expensive rate.

It's worth noting that we used a Groupon voucher and they treated us as full-paying, valuable customers, something that I find to be rare. Overall, I'd come back any day of the week. This place is phenomenal.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for all your kind words! I am glad that we gave you a memorable experience that you felt was done with care! It means the world to us that you felt the “Inn was an experience in and of itself”. We truly want our guests to enjoy, relax, know they are each important to us and most of all feel at home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charles Town
Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
#2 of 3 in Harpers Ferry
Carriage Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!