“Top notch...will definitely stay again!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Maryland
“Top notch...will definitely stay again!”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Stayed here July 28, 2011-July 31, 2011. When I checked in they upgraded me (w/o me asking) to a corner room suite. It was VERY large. Check-in experience was excellent. Very fast, friendly, and efficient. They had 3 separate check in desks so that process worked smoothly for everyone. The corner room ste had a huge livingroom area with chair, couch, end tables, table & chairs for eating, big TV, Wet bar area w/refrig, micro, sink. The frig was nice but desparately needed the little freezer defrosted. Bathroom was nice size..curved shower rod..wasn't real fond of the shower head..not the high power kind as in other hotels but OK. Tub was a little grungy around the edges & corners and there was hair in the corners of the bathroom but overall it was surface clean. Bedroom area was very large with alot of room for people & luggage. Beds were comfortable and room temp pleasant. Pool area was very nice but there were so many people in it each evening that the noise was deafening so we did not utilize the pool but one night. Now....Breakfast...that's another story. VERY NICE buffet breakfast and a made-to-order egg/omelet bar that was run very smoothly and efficiently. The buffet had scrambled eggs, crisp bacon, sausage, potatoes, pancakes, fresh fruit, homemade biscuits & sausage gravy, and some other items maybe oatmeal, cream of wheat ? Nice selections of breads, pastries, and drinks. Huge area in the lobby/atrium with plenty of tables to sit and eat. Food was all very good and fresh and good temperature. The lobby area is gorgeous at this hotel..open all the way to the top. Lots of plants, greenery, waterfalls with fish, and areas to sit & relax. I absolutely loved this hotel and can't wait to return to Charleston to stay here again. My son got food from the restaurant in the lobby and was pleased with it for quality and price. Just two Cons: parking is inconvenient (price was incl. in our rate) but it was difficult for taking luggage esp. on checkout. Parking lot was very small & crowded so coming out of the garage to just load luggage was not really a good option. So we all toted the stuff to the parking garage. The other con...do not walk around your room in your bare feet...the carpet needs some good deep cleaning! Overall.....A+++

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Lyn60
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Dear Lyn60,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our hotel. I thank you for your kind words and constructive comments. We will use your feedback to improve our operations and your comments as "Top Notch" mean a great deal to me and the staff.
Mark Cherry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Chicago, il
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Nice, newer hotel . The hotel had a nice pool , good workout facility and great lobby.
The staff was friendly (especially the bartender ). The sports bar in the hotel is nice but the food is just ok. Parking next door is incovenient and was not told of the $10.00 charge.
The morning breakfast was very good.

Kansas City, MO
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I have stayed here a number of time and I'm sure I'll be back. it is a nice place and good location and the staff is top notch.

My only grip is that they charge for wifi.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ajayhawkfan
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Nice quality stay. Comfortable, spacious, and no surprises. You've done it again Hilton, Embassy Suites are very nice. Only complaint I have is in the proximity of the parking to the hotel. It was pouring rain when I arrived, and having to park in a lot a block away is not fun when you have items to carry. The room was very nice, comfortable, clean and well equipped. I couldn't get the TV remote to work in the main living area of the room for some reason, but it was not worth calling about since I was tired and watched tv in the bedroom instead, but for future guests I was in room 819. Please check it for future users.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank gliddle1
Norfolk
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We were running away from the hurricane that was going to hit the coast. We have not stayed her for about 6 years this was one of our favorite Embassy Suites but got a little pricey. We always told ourselves we will get back. The hurricane gave us a pretty good reason. We road all night we were not sure if a room would be ready, but was hoping that it would be. When my husband checked us in the man said the room was ready and we could enjoy the full cook to order breakfast. We were so happy we had my husband's parents with us and they had to take medicine it was right on time they was bone tired from the 6 hour ride. The employees were very friendly. I go to school and had to finish my school work online. I had to pay for the Wi-Fi. No problem I knew that from the start. I had problems with getting online. I called the front desk the young lady said hold on she come back on the phone with a code for complimentary Wi-Fi. The cook staff from breakfast was great smiling and friendly. I will not wait 6 more years before I come back again. I am planning a trip in October.

2 Thank Traveler757
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 31 August 2011

My sister and I recently spent three nights at the Embassy Suites during a WV road trip. The hotel is very nice, staff is friendly and service is great. My sister has problems walking, so we requested a room close to the elevator. When the bell hop took us to our room, it was about as far away from the elevator as possible. I told him that my sister had problems walking and he immediately called his manager and had our room switched to a room right by the elevators. I did not get his name, but he was very nice and helpful.

The room had two queen beds, living room with couch, chair, table, wet bar, refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave. It was very comfortable, as were the beds. Linens were good quality. I do think that management needs to take a close look at housekeeping. There was only one trash can (in the bathroom) to service the whole suite. The carpet was in bad need of cleaning. The furniture was showing it’s age, or at the very least needed cleaning. The mirror in our room looked as if something had been spilled on it. The coffee pot was not cleaned and coffee was not restocked.

The hotel charges for parking and internet. Breakfast is complimentary and they offered eggs made to order. Every evening between 5:30 and 7:30, there is a manager’s reception with complimentary beverages and snacks.

The best part of the hotel was Arnold, the bartender at the Athletic Bar and Grill. Arnold was wonderful and could not do enough to make sure guests were happy. He knew all the repeat guests and made it a point to know all the new ones. He had many stories to tell and kept us entertained. He also provided information on what to do and where to eat. Arnold is a very special person. I would make a return trip to Charleston, just to see him.

3 Thank pletzkeb
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Booked through expedia and paid in full in advance. Gave them my card at check in for incidentals. Checked out the same day as planned in the evening. Called front desk to inform them I was checking out and covered the bill for parking. Next day they charged my card for the full price. Called to let them know and they said expedias card declined so they billed mine and they would fix it. After repeated calls and horrible unhelpful service they still haven't corrected the error. I will never stay here again and will go to the Marriott from now on

• Stayed August 2011