“Dirty and disappointing”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Dirty and disappointing”
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I booked one night in this hotel on a long car trip from NC to Chicago. I arrived in a terrific mood after the gorgeous drive, only to learn I had to park in an adjacent public parking lot. This parking garage was full of grafitti and didn't feel safe. After schlepping all of luggage down a public sidewalk and into the hotel, I found my room to be a trip to the 1980's - and I doubt anything has been updated since then. The room AC unit is an enormous noisy box suspended from the ceiling. The grout on the tiles in my bathroom was dark brown with grunge (on the edges it was cleaner as an example of the intended color). The plants in the atrium were cheap plastic, the furniture was quite worn. At breakfast, anything that wasn't custom made was cold. At the "custom" omelet station, I overheard a woman ask for a smaller sized omelet, and the cook told her they only come in one size. Come on - he could have poured half the amount. The juice was watered down, and the pastry did not taste fresh. This would have been an adequate hotel if I had been paying motel rates, but with a final bill over $200 I was extremely disappointed. I won't return.

• Liked — I liked having a microwave and fridge in the room
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank BostonJoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 August 2008

I didn't know what to expect in Charleston West Virginia, but this is an excellent Embassy Suites. Every single employee we encountered was helpful, pleasant and ready to work. Whatever their customer service training program is needs to be copied by lots of other hotels!
also, the manager's reception is available every night and includes an open bar! breakfast was a full breakfast including cooked pancakes, omelettes, etc.
room was very nice.

• Liked — employee customer service
  • Disliked — parking location and access to hotel
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
wv
Reviewed 13 May 2008

The hotel charged my credit card for charges I did not incur. When I checked out I was informed I had no charges but later received a bill. When I called the hotel, I was informed that the card number had been used at the hotel restaurant. I did not charge anything from the restaurant. My credit card number was leaked.

• Stayed April 2008
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 22 April 2008

This is a very nice hotel overall, no doubt one of the nicest in Charleston. The free drinks in the evening and the breakfast was great. Not having a noisy AC unit in the room was nice as well.

Two complaints however: First, although it's nice, I can't justify $185 per night in Charleston. Second, at that price I would expect free internet access in the rooms, which they did not offer. You could pay for wireless or go to their business center.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Robson, West Virginia
Reviewed 26 March 2008

We stayed in this hotel while the Regatta was going on. My boyfriend's uncle had a coupon that got us a free night, somehow due to bad service at a previous visit. I don't see how he had bad service, because being here was like a dream! Free drinks in the evenings, and free hot breakfast in the morning, what could be better! The ambiance of the place made me feel like I was in New York instead of Charleston. Our room was huge and had the feel of a nice apartment. We will definitely stay again if we have a reason to stay downtown!

• Liked — everything!
  • Disliked — the bustle, but it really didn't bother me much.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
NC
Reviewed 9 March 2008

Me and my gf needed a weekend away from work. so we decided to give this hotel a shot. we stayed in alot of embassy suites. and i think this is a great hotel!

We got to check in early like 145 which is great. got our room on the 6 floor. just a great room that i was expectable. We went to the pool and the sauna which was great. The only complain that somebodys kid got on back in the pool. he was just a small boy. nobody was paying attention anyway. IF you have kids please watch them they are not the only people in the hotel and i dont like stress. anyhoo no biggie just a complaint. There is a little store in the hotel which was great. Also there was a business center which was great so i can check my works email. We ate at chillis at the mall it was okay nothing fancy buy good.

We went downstairs to the bar which was great and relaxing. Prices were high but okay.

The best part of the hotel was the breakfast that is the best. So much variety anything you want they got it there. lots of choices.

I guess there was a basketball tourney at the civic center alot of kids there. This is a great hotel to relax and just take a break from life and work. me and my gf will be back.

• Liked — The breakfast, pool, rooms
  • Disliked — parents NOT watching their kids running around in the pool and in the hotel.!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Martinsburg, WV
Reviewed 8 December 2007

I arrived at the hotel on a Sunday afternoon, in the pouring rain. After a five hour drive, it was nice to be greeted by such a friendly staff. The bell service there, both upon my arrival and my departure was wonderful. The room was very spacious and very, very clean. The hotel is within walking distance to the Civic Center and right across the street from the Mall. I ate in the hotel's restaraunt and it was very good. Try the Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake! I had to leave one day early because of impending weather, and there wasn't a problem with that.
The morning breakfast is very good - eggs, biscuits, fruit, bagels, sausage, the works. Complimentary USA today every day. On site fitness center, pool, and restaraunt. Cocktails and snacks each evening.
I would happily stay there again.

• Liked — The room had a kitchenette
  • Disliked — The sound of the Christmas music from the mall.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business