I really like this place and feel like it has gotten a bad rap. This was a stay on the way home from a business/vacation trip.
Everyone at the hotel is very accommodating and pleasant. (The maintenance man who had to bring up a working hair dryer wasn't exactly pleasant, but...) We had a personal cake that we wanted to eat, and the hotel gave us plates and forks. The breakfast was a little bit above the average Embassy Suites experience. The public areas looked great. The furniture was in good shape, which was different from the majority of the properties we stay at. The room was, for the most part, clean.
Some of the big problems people have with this property is the parking situation and room decor. I thought the room decor fit the area and the hotel. If you have a problem with it, you likely have a problem with West Virginia in general. The parking situation is not that bad. In a situation in which parking is limited, you should expect to have to pay for your parking. If you don't get the front lot, the extra parking is right around the corner.
We had the following problems that should be addressed:
1. Bathroom tile grout - Tile floors are hard to keep clean because the grout between the tiles is a dirt magnet. Dirt sticks to the grout and stays within the tiles. If this is not cleaned by something rough, it will just stay there and rub off on everyone who steps on it, causing black feet. I think this can be a problem with tile floors in all hotels, but I think this needs to be addressed.
2. Pay-for bottled water in the room - We were willing to pay for the extra bottled water in the room. However, we noticed that the bottled water in our room had been opened already and filled back up with tap water. (In other words, a previous guest had stolen the bottled water.) The hotel was wonderful to pick up the cost for the water, but I think the housekeeping staff needs to be more cognizant of this, especially in view of the issues the Charleston, WV area has had in the recent year with tap water.
3. Window was not lockable - I wanted to take a picture of the Charleston skyline, but opened and closed the window without locking the window. Not good.
4. The walk-in shower - I think they need to come up with a different solution. It is very nice, but water goes all over the place. You shouldn't have to be so concerned with where the water is going to go when you are taking a shower.
5. Loose hook in the bathroom - there was a loose hook in the bathroom that I hung my towel on and just basically fell off the fixture.
Otherwise, great place. We will stay again if we need to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Embassy Suites Charleston is centrally located in Charleston, WV close to many local restaurants, shopping and more. Enjoy a meal at the onsite restaurant, the Athletic Club Bar and Grill, or visit one of Charleston’s many restaurants. Mingle with other guests at a complimentary manager's reception, held daily each evening. Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge. Featured amenities include a business center, indoor pool and spa tub, WiFi (surcharge), express check-out, multilingual staff and more. A roundtrip airport shuttle is complimentary during limited hours. Parking (subject to charges) is conveniently located nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Charleston
- Charleston Embassy Suites