“Almost painful” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Grayton Beach, Florida
“Almost painful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2005

We spent a long weekend at this Embassy suites hotel, and by the end of our few days were dreading walking into the building. The multiple fountains in the atrium lobby seemed to fill the air with a humid, unhealthy air. We stayed on a non-smoking floor, but I could smell cigarette smoke wafting up through our HVAC vents. We could not control the AC in the living room portion of our suite. It was dark and dreary in the living room; why is the bedroom well lit with a view, and the living room windowless?

We were charged $10 per day for internet service, which conveniently
had a 24 hour period beginning at 2pm. We were charged daily for parking.

The bar had inconsistent hours. The maid arrived one day at 4:00 pm,
then the next day of checkout woke us up at 8:15, then returned at 10.

(Check out was at noon) On the positive side, beds were comfortable. Charleston has a limited hotel selection, and this was the most expensive hotel in town, at $124 a night (triple A rate) With all the extra charges, $500 for a three day visit to a mediocre hotel was a little painful.

• Stayed July 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Nellie D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2005

I used to love Embassy Suites Hotels, but I have come to loathe them. This was the second stay in an Embassy Suites this year, and this is the second time I had the same problem, but this hotel handled the problem poorly. Apparently, when you place a reservation on the website, a hold is placed on your account...and when you have a visa check card like myself, it places a hold on your checking account. Then when you check into the hotel, they attempt to authorize the card, without using the funds they have already held against your reservation. So this locked up all the available funds in my checking account. The front desk called me up at 9:30pm to tell me that when I checked in FIVE HOURS EARLIER they could not authorize my card for the amount they wanted (ofcourse, they are trying to authorize the card for a huge amount over what the actual charges are). So my bank is closed, and Embassy Suites Customer Service Center closed 30 minutes prior to them notifying me there even was a problem. I called Hilton Honors and they did not want to help me because they say they don't get in the middle of disputes with hotels. And there was nothing that I could do. They were not very nice about the problem, even though it was caused by them. They shut off my phone in my room and demanded that I come downstairs right after breakfast to call my bank and get the funds that are being held released. I called another frequent traveler hotel reward company that I use and they gave me the next night free in one of their hotels...so I stayed only one night at Embassy Suites, because I was not going to give them any more of my money. The hotel and the chain do not seem at all interested in the level of distress they caused me. Here I was traveling with three children, and I had only what cash I had on hand to live on until Monday because of their error.

• Stayed July 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Imnotaduck
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2005

I love Embassy Suites and this hotel is exactly the reason! Not only are the rooms bigger and feel more like an apartment, the breakfast makes it all worthwhile. I also enjoy the manager's reception in the evenings and strolling through the open atrium. On top of that the service has been outstanding on each and every visit. :)

I have been going to Embassy Suites for years and this is the best one so far! Enjoy!!!

• Stayed March 2005, travelled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2004

I stayed here 1 Saturday night in April 2004. The suite was large, clean and comfortable, typical of the Embassy Suites chain. The complimentary breakfast was quite nice. My major gripe was the noise level. The rooms are all around a large indoor atrium. There were several high school groups staying there that weekend, and the atrium just trapped and amplified the noise. I felt like I was inside a high school gym at times. I stayed in my bedroom with the door to the living room closed, to muffle out the noise. It may be much quieter during the week, when mostly business travelers are there. I am from out of state, but this is reputedly the nicest hotel in Charleston.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hinton, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2004

I have stayed there 4 times in the last 12 months for different functions and each time has been wonderful. the rooms are big, clean and the service excellent. The all you can eat with cook to order chefs breakfast is worth the couple of extra dollars about the chepest room I have had there was 95.00 and as much as 209.00 location is right off the interstate and beside a 2 story mall in walking distance of the Charleston Civic Center. I am stying there again this weekend I wont stay anywhere else in this town.

• Stayed January 2005, travelled on business