“A former gem, turned dumpy, transformed back into a gem.”

Four Points by Sheraton Charleston
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
West Virginia
“A former gem, turned dumpy, transformed back into a gem.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I'm a Pittsburgh native, and on and off resident of Charleston, who has stayed in this hotel many times during my "off" times from Charleston, and through several incarnations.

This property was originally a very nice, full service Holiday Inn. I first stayed here in the mid-90s when an employer put me up there for training, which was being held in the hotels conference center on the main level. As I recall there was still a restaurant and bar in the upper levels, my stay was pleasant, although at that time the hotel was obviously starting it's decline. The upper level restaurant and bar closed sometime after that.

I stayed subsequently at the Holiday Inn several times, which was a very hit or miss experience. You wanted riverfront views because, well, those were nice rooms. But on sunny days the old, tired HVAC units couldn't keep up and the rooms would get unbearably hot. If you landed a city facing room in winter, similarly, the rooms would not stay very warm. The elevators became very poor and slow, and generally the hotel declined greatly. It did have a decent outdoor pool, but that too became rather spartan, and even getting a clean towel out there was a problem. Bankruptcy followed, or at least the company that owned the hotel was in bankruptcy, and it showed in this hotel as it reached a very sad, sad point as far as service and quality.

The only food service available was on the main level, was very dated, and limited in hours, with night time offerings being inconsistent, and limited to the small bar area.

The mayor and many others were involved in trying to get someone to buy this property out of it's declining fate, and apparently after several years they were successful in finding a suitor/buyer.

I stayed at the hotel during the "renovation phase" in which it became a Ramada Limited. The renovated half of the hotel at a time, so to speak, and despite staying in a hotel that was constantly a work zone, the hotel became much improved at that point. The elevators were still slow, but once you were lucky enough to get one of the rooms that had already been renovated (during the Ramada Limited "phase" you would first get one of the older rooms, then at some point they had renovated rooms availables), they were quite nice.

I remember once I was assigned a room right next to the half-way point, and the room had been renovated for the most part, but there was a temporary construction door just past my room, and there were heavy duty electrical wires running electricity into the room, clearly on a temporary basis, with TV and lamps running on power strips plugged into the temporary lines. But one could see that the room had been nicely renovated, and the hotel was clearly on the upswing.

As I now am back to being a part time/half time resident of Charleston, I have not had, or needed, the opportunity to stay at the hotel much. But I managed to get in one stay before moving back to town and after the hotel renovation was complete, and the Sheraton Four Points name was installed.

They moved the pool inside. I wondered about that move, as I always thought it would have been very easy to just toss an atrium roof over the outside pool, renovate that area, and run with a very nice renovated pool. But I suppose for year round use, a new, centrally located pool, was in the cards. I wish they would give this same treatment to the Sheraton Four Points at the Pittsburgh airport. The outdoor pool there has clearly seen better days, and there's no pool in winter.

The rooms are now, as can be expected from brand new Sheraton rooms, top notch, with premium bedding, and rank among the best in the Four Points brand. There is a true sports bar and restaurant now finally giving this hotel a place to eat, drink, and/or watch a game without thinking you're making a mistake by not going out to any of the very closeby bars and restaurants that used to offer so much more. Sometimes you just want to get where you're going and relax and unwind without going back out if you've been on the road. This renovated gem now allows that without feeling you're getting left out.

I've read the reviews regarding the staff, and have to say I have not had similar experiences. In fact, I think many of the front of the house staff are holdovers from previous incarnations of this hotel, and I have always found them extremely friendly and helpful, even when they were hampered by the state of the hotel. I am sure those that remain from past years are quite proud now of their workplace, which clearly wasn't the case in past conversations I had with a few of them.

The parking is a bit of a sore spot. It used to be $6 for parking, which the staff would often waive. What people need to understand is the parking garage, I believe, is city owned. So if the hotel doesn't charge you for it, they are paying for it out of pocket. The increase to $10 is a bit much, I would agree. But, if you go to most other downtown hotels in other cities, you will pay for parking. If you go to big cities, you will pay MUCH more for parking. The last time I stayed in 3 and 4 star properties in downtown Pittsburgh it was much more. The Hyatt charged me $25 a night. In DC, Baltimore, NYC, you're going to pay $25-$30 a night. I think in Cleveland I even had to pay $18 and that was 7 years ago. So consider you're getting free wifi, bottled water, etc., and that parking at other downtown hotels elsewhere cost much more, and pay the $10. There are other options as well, such as parking somewhere else and walking in, but do you want to do that? The Marriott and Embassy are in the same boat. They charge for parking. If you want free parking, stay at the Holiday Inn Civic Center, Best Western, etc. But don't expect as nice of a room or a view.

I've written a lot of reviews here and there. Mostly on Priceline and other discount websites that I use as a frequent traveller. But I felt compelled to write this one after giving a friend some advice and recommending this property due to what this hotel means to Charleston.

Yes, Charleston had some nice properties before. The Charleston Marriott has always been a pretty high quality hotel. The Embassy Suites was for some time clearly the best hotel in Charleston. The renovated Ramada Inn in South Charleston, which is now a full service Holiday Inn, is not also one of the top hotels in Charleston as far as quality and amenities.

But THIS property was hugely important to this town, which has in the last decade or so made considerable improvements and investments in it's riverfront, adding the sheltered stage, and renovating the crosswalk over to the stage and that area. This hotel sits on the river, in a predominant place and centerpiece of the city. It NEEDED this!

With it's central location and riverfront views, and the festivals that occur on the river, downtown Charleston again has a primier property on the river, and not the embarassing hotel that it once became.

So kudos to the Sheraton Four Points and it's new owners, for a job well done. And a thank you from the city for helping to restore a little glory to a once proud, now proud again property.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter and have better views. I prefer the views from the riverfront rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank mcgervey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very nice and located in a great part of Charleston (walking distance to restaurants and stuff). It's right on the river across the street from a large stage that is used for events like the 4th of July. It was kinda noisy till about 11pm because of the 4th celebrations but that's okay because the 4th is for America and America is awesome. The hotel is very clean and the beds were comfortable. I thought for the price it was more than acceptable. I agree with some reviewers that charging for parking is an amateur move but it's in a garage and its nice to have covered parking. As for the lack of free breakfast, I'm fine skipping the watery eggs and stale toast that are the hallmarks of complimentary breakfasts and going to sheetz nearby and getting one of their many phenomenal breakfast items for a few bucks.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Charleston, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear agxb99,
We are happy to hear you loved our hotel and enjoyed our convenient location near Charleston’s best attractions during your 4th of July visit. Thank you for your review, and we hope to see you again in the future. Take care.
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped here to see fireworks. Hotel was right in front of all the action. Could see live on the levee concert md fireworks from our room. Staff friendly. Would definitely stop here again if we are ever traveling through again.

• Stayed July 2014
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

First, I give ratings based on an actual scale--thus, a 5 star hotel is usually a legitimate 5-star hotel, comparable to AAA 5 diamond or CNT or T&L top hotels.

That being said, this hotel was one of the nicer name brand hotels I have stayed at. We were randomly passing through Charleston and it was between this and the Marriott. Although I am a platinum Marriott member, we chose this one, and I am very pleased we did.

LOCATION: You cannot beat the location. We knew we would be in town on July 4, so we loved that we could walk, quite literally, across the street to enjoy "Live on the Levee" and watch the fireworks. The hotel is also in easy walking distance to the Town Center mall and a lot of good local restaurants. We did both. Being on the river was fantastic.

SERVICE: Our check in experience was great, although at check out, the man was a tad short, but not rude. Every worker we encountered inside and out offered assistance or asked if we needed anything.

DECOR: The lobby/bar was very modern, very new, and very clean. This hotel must be very new.

ROOM: We had a double full room with a river view. The rooms were modern and very comfortable, very similar to the new Courtyard decor. The only thing missing was a refrigerator in the room. The room was also very quiet, despite the fact that the hotel was packed. I appreciate the soap dispensers in the shower and Sheraton's efforts at being green.

AMENITIES: The hotel does have a market at the front desk in case you forgot anything, and the prices looked reasonable. The fitness room was well above average with 7 cardio machines and dumbbells up to 50#, a bench, and several mats and exercise balls. Plenty enough to maintain your fitness. The indoor pool was small, but it is a pool! We did not eat at the restaurant, but it sure smelled good in the morning and the bar looked nice enough.

OTHER: As I said, we stayed here on July 4, so with Live on the Levee across the street, you can imagine the hotel was packed with non-guests who were using the bathrooms, lounging, or drinking at the bar. Once the fireworks were over, the lobby was packed and a little chaotic. Lines were long to get into the elevators and I heard a lot of complaining. People should get a grip--what do you expect? It was July 4th and I assume everyone at the hotel was coming back in from watching fireworks that were literally right our front! Some were complaining that the stair access (outside) was locked...as it should be!! That is a security issue! And, this isn't a major city where you have to use your key to access the bathrooms or elevators or lobby. I didn't think it was that bad, so if another reviewer complains, they may be being picky, based on what I saw.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Manila
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was recently remodeled. Thus, we enjoyed the newness of the room. The lobby and restaurant are nice and modern. The young man who checked us in was absolutely great! The room had the view of the River. However, there was no refrigerator. Another thing is that everything in the room and bathroom were very nice and seemed new except for the tub which seemed old. Otherwise, this is a very fine hotel with a great location!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank yokohamamama
Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We arrived one hour after appointed check-in time. The lady at the front desk was engrossed in her computer and only looked up after we stood there for a few minutes. We had considerable trouble with this lady from the onset. She was rude and unsympathetic to any requests we made. Instead of using good customer service practices, smiling or being kind, she continued in a brusque manner until we had to have another employee help us. Not a good first impression of the hotel. This hotel has been rebranded and refurbished recently and we found the room comfortable and clean. Breakfast was good (not complimentary) and service was excellent. Both a lady and gentleman served us. Upon check out we were hit with a $10.00 self parking fee which was a surprise. I had even asked about parking when we arrived and was not told of any fee, nor were there any signs in the parking lot.( We stayed later in the week at a Hilton in downtown Columbus which was much more expensive and did not charge for parking.) The front desk staff blamed housekeeping staff for the room availability problems and never accepted any responsibility for the lack of proper room upon arrival. They blamed Expedia for not telling us about the parking fees. So bottom line is, if you can get by the front desk and their lack of good customer service, you may enjoy your stay. The location is nice and a river view was lovely.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J I
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Room was clean and comfortable. Enjoyed the river view. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was excellent. Food tasted fresh and server was very friendly and efficient. Her name was Tensie. I will have to say she was the only friendly person we encountered. Front desk staff was brusque and less than friendly. Maybe they just didn't like our Texas accent and western wear. :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple