“Not as good as other Marriotts”

Charleston Marriott Town Center
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Toronto
“Not as good as other Marriotts”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Positives:
- good location, right across from the mall
- clean room, comfortable beds
- well equipped gym with individual tv's
- friendly staff, gave me room on higher floor when asked
Negatives:
- no wifi, only wired internet, fortunately free for the summer
- inconsistent hot water temperature. only had cold water for 10 minutes when I initially turned on the shower.
- silverware, glasses, plates not cleaned from hallways for many hours
- one of the older Marriott properties that's looking a bit tired both inside and out, needs renovation

Room Tip: Get a room above 5th floor, the lower level rooms' view is blocked by a tent built for a restaur...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
vidor tx
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Here for a funeral, not familiar with area was a good choice, easy to get to location... next to mall Great helpful friendly staff. Room was clean and bed very comfortable ! They also let us use a wheelchair to take to mall for my 83yr old mother ! Which was wonderful ! let my sisters and i shop much longer! = )

Room Tip: any room should be great, we were on the 9th floor rm 926, close to elevator which was great with 8...
Bridgeport, West Virginia
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The Perfect hotel. All kinds of activity across the street Mall Movies. Great food and bar area. Well maintained. My Home away from home when I need a get away to Charleston...Close to AirPort Great Shuttle service. Evening mini Meal for elite guess. Real food and Beverage are complimentary for the top elite there. Always welcome with a smile. Would Recommend to all and the Price is Right!!!

Room Tip: Plenty to see and do Great Hospitals all around. Great for all occassions
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Me and my family stayed here first week of Sept for my cousin's wedding and i'm impressed with the service we received. Housekeeping was friendly (we got chocolates and ice every night), feather pillows and blankies are comfy, our room and washroom didn't stink and the A/C worked perfectly.

I just wanted to give a big thank you to JERICA from the Front Desk. In the rush rush process of the bridesmaids (me) going from one pavillion to the other, I left my eyeglasses in the Tent. I was scared that I wouldn't be able to drive home; and she assured me that she will talk to the Banquet Manager to find it. Soon enough, I got a call that they have it. You guys are amazing !

I would also like to thank the kitchen staff of the banquet hall we were on. The food was yummy ! It's the best Lemon Sorbet i've tasted so far ... not to mention the bacon wrapped shrimp and crab in beurre blanc was mmmm !!

We'll stay at the Marriott next time, take care you guys :-)

- CHRIS B.

5 Thank Chris B
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I have been a Marriott Rewards Member for over 40 years and experienced the Marriott brand when it was new and many of the properties were Marriott owned. Time and the current business model have reduced many of the properties to also rans, when compared to the competition. The Town Center is no different. Over the years, I've stayed in rooms with peeling wall paper, water leaking into the room during a rain storm, noisy HVAC system and less than adequate cooling in the summer.

What brings me back (obviously the rewards points also) is a wonderful staff. Front desk reception is always very, very good and you are made to feel welcome and appreciated. If you're lucky enough to be checked in by Daniel (rooms manager) you'll see what I mean about being made to feel like a really "welcomed guest".

The concierge lounge is a joke. Not so much the area itself, but the meager and cheap snacks offered - greasy pigs in a blanket anyone?

For years I've complained about the condition of the garage elevator. Entering it from the garage, you feel as if you are about to be taken to a run down road side motel. Dirty most of the time and noisy and rough operation.

Forget about dinner and/or lunch. Check out the Tidewater and Chop House right across the street, in the mall. However, the breakfast buffet is very good, with great variety, lots of fresh fruit, custom made omlets and a very accomodating and sincerely doting waitstalff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noise of the HVAC system, ice and vending machines.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Bob46890
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Thank you for your feedback in regards to the Charleston Marriott Town Center. You are correct that the hotel is in need of a redo. Although the staff does a great job of keeping it clean and maintained to the best of their ability at some point as with any structure you need to reburbish and upgrade the facility. The plans are set for a complete rooms redo and a lobby redo to be started in January of 2012. We will start with the rooms in January and then finish the year with the lobby. We will also be addressing the HVAC issues and making improvements. I will pass on your compliments to the Front Desk staff and particularly Daniel. Thank you for acknowleging them. I encourage you to try the concierge on your next stay as the Chef has change all food items and I know you will be impressed. Although we do not operate the garage I have addressed the cleanliness issue and can assure you progress has been made. The Chef has also designed a new menue for the the Whitewater Grille and I encourage you to give it a try. Again thank you for your nice comments in regards to the breakfast buffet and the waitstaff, I will be sure to pass them on. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts, very much appreciated.

Steve Lemmerman
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I was in this hotel for only one night, and that was more than enough. The location is super, but the hotel is older and has nott kept pace with the time. I was upgraded to a suite, which was extremely large, but smelled old, was filled with outdated furniture, and had an air conditioner that was not sufficient to adequately cool the room. I have stayed here before, and have noticed the steady decline in the property - but it is time for Marriott to get on the ball and update this property before it gets any worse!

The Concierge Lounge was probably one of the worse ones I have ever encountered...we still aren't sure what the appetizers were that they were serving!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank StevenVA
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Thank you for your comments. All these things have been addressed and a complete rooms redo is scheduled to start in December of 2011. This will include the concierge lounge. Again thank you for your comments it is always very helpful in helping us improve our product, as well as, our service.
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Room was clean and comfortable. Staff was very professional. Location was great. Would recommend anyone to stay at this property

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple