“Becoming my home away from home!”

Charleston Marriott Town Center
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Weston, West Virginia
“Becoming my home away from home!”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I spend alot of time traveling to Charleston for meetings and if I have to choose, I pick the Marriot hands down! Have had great experiences except of one, but they did everything possible to fix the situation. The food is always good too!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Zebulon, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed in heart of Charleston for a quick trip. Very nice hotel centered in the city center. Recently updated you could tell and was very clean. I had driven up and needed a early check in and they were very accomodating. Had to sleep the day due to working the night prior and could tell there was renovations happening. Thankfully, I had taken a small fan to help avoid the noise. Mall was across the road with many places to eat. Close to airport.

Room Tip: High floor to not hear city noise
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Princeton, West Virginia
Reviewed 2 April 2012

New experience: I was the first person to ever stay in the room I was registered for...what a nice feeling! It was just completed a couple hours before I arrived. The new furnishings look super, colors are bright and cheerful, lobby and hallways also look great.

Checking into to this meticulously clean hotel was a pleasure. The staff was friendly, helpful and efficiently placed me in a room.

I've stayed here often in the past and it looks better than ever.

• Stayed March 2012
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I've been staying here for over 5 years on my regular business trips to Charleston. On my last stay, in January, I was fortunate enough to be booked in a renovated room. Very, very nice indeed. Improved lighting, functional and attractive furnishings and bright and pleaseant bath room decor. Murals on hallway walls a nice touch.

The whole property has a new vibe and feeling to it. The lobby is now more sophisticated and comfortable. As always, the entire staff rates as one of the best I've had the pleasure of coming across.

Food is greatly improved. Service is top notch and the waitstaff and front desk staff always make you feel like you are at home, regular quest or not.

I truly enjoy this renovated property and look forward to my next visit in early April.

Nice job guys!

Room Tip: Higher floors where renovations have been completef
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words in regards to the Charleston Marriott Town Center. We really appreciate your feed back in regards to the new rooms product and yes it definitely needed a complete redo. Although we have added some new furniture in the lobby area we are doing a full scale redo starting in August and will transform the entire area into what we refer to as a great room. I know you will enjoy the new lobby as much as the rooms. Most importantly thank you for your comments in regards to the staff. Service is and will always be the number one priority and we will continue to improve in that area as well. Thank you again for your feed back.
Wheeling, West Virginia
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed for 2 nights. The staff was excellent! Very friendly and helpful. The building is going thru some renovations, but we had no problems.
I do hope they clean the bathtub handle soon, it was gross.

1 Thank dga75
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2012

On a recent business trip to Charleston, I decided to stay at the Marriott Charleston Town Center since it was convieniently located to shopping and dining. I've stayed at other places before but thought I would give this property a try. Bad idea...

1) Rooms are small, bathrooms are tiny - I don't care how much remodeling they're doing, there some things you just can't change.
2) I didn't get the room type I requested and the front desk said they wouldn't be able to fullfill my room request all week. I had my room booked a month in advance...
3) The floor I was on smelled like maybe it used to be a smoking floor? Have no idea but air the place out, get some freshner.
4) The internet CRAWLED, very very slow to the point it wasn't usable... I had to just give up.

I ended my multi-night stay and checked out early, got booked at another hotel and very very pleased. The front counter personell seemed nice overall but they didn't seem to fo out of their way at all to make sure i was happy. I honestly don't get why the hotel is so busy, I am assuming some die-hard Marriott point collectors? I'd rather sleep in my rent car to be really honest. Its good to hear they are remodeling but perhaps they should knock the entire place down and start fresh. My 2 cents.

PS: as I was filling our my ratings, I had forgotten to mention how dirty the room was, everywhere... I did not want to remove my shoes... I should have taken photos...

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
3 Thank langeleer
Raleigh
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Just finished a 4 night stay in Room 1607, the top floor. This is one of our favorite Marriotts, and we stay their properties over 150 nights a year. There are a lot of Marriotts built in the 70's and 80's that desperately need updating. Charlotte and Norfolk come to mind.

The renovations are almost complete in this Marriott, and make a huge change. Completely new furnishings make the rooms seem larger and more comfortable. Love the new carpet in the room and colors that are lively yet relaxing. The concierge lounge will be finished in a few days, and the lobby looks fantastic with the redo.

The people make this an outstanding Marriott. When you walk through the lobby, they all greet you....four hellos from the front desk is the norm as they all look at you and ask how things are going. Hubby responded "hello, hello, hello, hello" to all four people addressing him, and we joked repeating things four times to each other.

The maids are wonderful; Eui and Stacey on the top floors do a great job keeping the place clean. Our room looked spic and span each day. The food is usually excellent in the downstairs restaurant, Whitewater. And we love all the photos of the whitewater rafts turning over in the rapids. Evidently an employee won the restaurant naming contest.

The third floor pool is one of the best....it is almost square about 10 yards wide, and perfect for laps. Usually empty during weekday work hours, so getting a good workout is easy. You can even swim diagonal laps if you remember to push off with one foot from both walls in the corner. Lots of room for lounging in pool chairs and reading that novel in your bag.

Everyone has mentioned how handy it is walking across the street into Macy's and the surrounding mall. This time we ate at Soho's at Capitol Station and Pies and Pints on Capitol Street. We adore Taylor Books and Ellen's Ice Cream on that block as well. And we always stop at Tamarack Art Center at Beckley (45 miles away) on our way to and from Charleston for the Greenbriar gourmet food and lovely WV art on display.

Charleston is a wonderful city to visit, and this Marriott is the perfect home base. The hotel is usually full, so make your reservation early.

Room Tip: We usually get the St. Francis Hospital rate of $115. If the hotel is full and that rate is not avai...