“Quality place”

Charleston Marriott Town Center
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

Right off the interstate, and it's across from the mall and Civic Center. Clean, affordable and worth a stay if Charleston is a stopping point.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank jackstraw71

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I can't say enough about the smart maintenance engineer and helpful van driver at this hotel.

We had brought along a Netflix DVD to watch. My husband was able to get the sound of the DVD but not the picture. We called down to the front desk for help. They said they'd send an engineer to the room within 15 minutes. Only about 5 minutes had gone by when the engineer arrived. He told us that the TV settings weren't correct to play a DVD so he promptly corrected this. He then showed my husband how to toggle between the DVD and cable channels. We got to watch our movie and were vey happy.

The van driver gave us some good dinner recommendations and dropped us off at one of these restaurants. The driver told us to call him if we wanted a ride back. The restaurant was indeed good. We called for a ride back and the driver was there within 10 minutes. What a great experience!

Also, the cook making omelettes and waffles for breakfast was terrific. My husband raved about the waffles, saying they were light and tasted almost like a doughnut. Also, my husband and 2 other guests complimented the cook on his eggs.

The room we had on the 14th floor was nicely renovated. The colors were soothing and the room seemed to be more spacious than I remembered. We had a great stay and we'll be back.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Macybear
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel once or twice a year for the last twenty years. It had started to show some wear and tear over the years, but we always enjoyed it because of it's great location near the Town Center Mall, Civic Center, Capitol Building, minor league baseball park and numerous dining options. We knew the last time we stayed, about 1 1/2 years ago, that they were making several renovations.
What a great surprise when our family of 3 checked in early July and found an elegant, remodled, modern hotel that now matched the excellent service, location and comparatively low cost. Not only are the rooms much nicer, but also, the hallways and check in area. We didn't get to try the hotel restaurant this time, but have found it quite good in the past.
If you are visiting Charleston, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank WVtravelers3
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed July 3 & 4 for our anniversary and to beat the heat. The entire staff was the most helpful, friendly and genuinely nice people I have ever experienced in a lodging situation. The entire staff knew of our celebration and all went above and beyond to make it special. If all businesses had employees that cared like they do, we wouldn't need rating systems.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rick O
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stayed here four nights for a business conference. The hotel is located in downtown Charleston within easy walking distance of many restaurants and stores, including an indoor mall right across the street.

I was told my room was recently remodeled, but there were a few minor issues with it. The flat screen TV had a line down the middle of the screen. The bathroom door had a hole in the back of it where it appears it was slammed open and hit a hook or something. Strangest of all, the handle to enter the door only worked if I lifted it up rather than pushing it down. As none of these issues were severe enough to request another room, I didn't inform the front desk of them until I checked out. I was then told that several of the room door handles were problematic and that they often tell guests to try pushing up, down, or jiggling to get them to work. I was also told they were all set to be replaced soon.

Otherwise the room was fine. I found everything to be clean and in working order. It was also very quiet. I was near the elevator and never heard any hallway traffic or noise from neighboring rooms.

Most things cost extra here. Internet, parking, phone calls, etc. All about the standard rates you'd find at similar hotels.

Overall my stay here was fine, although there was nothing about this hotel that made it out of the ordinary, especially for the price.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This Marriott is located just across the street from the downtown mall in Charleston, WV. The staff is friendly and the rooms are very nice. If you've stayed in a Marriott before, this one is on par with a top Marriott.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is my favorite place to stay when passing through "Chucktown". I have never been disappointed. Our room is always ready on time or early, without the need to wait. Service from everyone is excellent. While some of the decor (i.e. wallpaper and artwork) in the rooms could stand to be updated, they are always spotless. When making reservations for our next trip, we were informed they would be completing floor-by-floor renovations. I look forward to seeing what "updates" they make. There is a nice pool, whirlpool, and sauna, as well as a fitness room. You can't beat the convenience, location, or service offered at this location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family