Charleston Marriott Town Center
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$146
US$123
Travelocity
US$115
US$108
All reviewsthe concierge loungeacross the streetcivic centerparking garagelobby barbreakfast buffetfront desk staffvery nice hotelnice staycomfortable bedsenjoyed my staystayed one nightstaff was friendlymallconferencewhitewaterbellman
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is one of two full service hotels in Charleston. The one major draw back to this place is that the parking garage for the hotel is not owned by Marriott, and subsequently you have to pay for parking ($12.00 as of this review). It is one of the nicest hotels in town. I have always had excellent service here. I have stayed in some very nice (and expensive) hotels, and this one does not compare to those....but I can assure you there are oodles of hotels out there that are much worse. If you want a good clean place to stay, this is it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheProfessorDReed
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for all the positive comments in regards to the hotel and the service you received. We always appreciate guest like yourself taking the time to inform us on what we can do better and how we can make your next stay even better.Thank you again.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel is well appointed, clean and neat, for sure. Great place if you are on business and have a company expense account. Near the Civic Center and Mall, but otherwise in a terrible neighborhood. For most people, it is probably a great place to stay. BUT IT IS A HORRIBLE PLACE TO BRING BUS GROUPS, and this warning is for anybody in the group tour business who might be thinking of doing that. I am a bus driver, and brought a group from Saranac Lake, NY down here for a few days. They treat drivers like dog crap. There is no place near to park, and even though they had about a dozen buses in for a National Soccer Championship, they would not provide any of us with transportation the mile away to our buses. They charge $13 per day for internet access. It cost almost $3 for a small cup of coffee in the morning, and yesterday I waited 20 minutes in line to get one, only 4 people ahead of me. The sliding doors to the balconies are bolted shut... God help us if there is a fire. The operations manager is very rude and demeaning.. Cost me $39 for two glasses of house wine. An omlette for breakfast is $12, coffee extra. They have, because of their location, lots of corporate kinds, and seem to view groups as an imposition. Most hotels comp bus drivers' meals, these people want to extort every last dime for those who are forced to stay here. There are plenty of very nice places on the outskirts of town who charge reasonable rates and actually want group tours to stay there.. If I ever have to come here again, I will pay for my own hotel room in another location... it would be cheaper that having to survive here for a week.. Group Tours, stay away!!!

Room Tip: At another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kippo_the_hippo
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for your feed back in regards to your stay at the Charleston Marriott Town Center. Your comments in regards to the facility being neat and clean is always good to hear as this is what we have control over, as well as, service so it is very important we do well in these catagories. I apologise that you felt you were not treated with respect, that is not how we host any of our guests no matter what they do and I can assure you that out of the 600 individuals hear during that time frame no one would be able to tell what an individual does and by no means have I had this comment made in regards to bad service before so I do apologise. We do many bus groups at this hotel even though we are a downtown property. We had 15 bus groups hear during your stay and unfortunately the individual in charge did not set up transportation for the bus drivers to get to the buses and we were unable to make that happen in a short notice. It will be noted for future bus groups. In response to the sliding doors not opening the entire way is strickly a saving issure for kids, possible drinking, and also do to items being thrown out. It is not a fire code issue as only stairwells can be used in an emergency. You may find pricing for downtown properties a bit higher than properties on the outskirts and some of that is due to location and convenience. We do cater to groups as over 40% of our business is from groups and we pride ourselves on excellent service to each and everyone of them. Again I am sorry we did not meet your expectation but we would certainly like to have another opportunity in the future to serve you again. Thank you.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I reviewed this Marriott and gave it a 3 a few years ago but they have made a number of improvements so I am bumping them up to a 4. The lobby area has be remodeled and is much more pleasant. I stayed in a room on the executive level and it was very nice. Very clean with comfortable bed and bedding. The executive lounge was closed when I arrived. The breakfast the next morning was just so-so. Nothing great. The staff was very pleasant and check in and check out was quick and easy. My only complaint, and I complain about this every time I stay at a Marriott, is the ridiculous cost of wifi. Marriott really needs to give loyalty club members free wifi or at least a break in the price, especially on the executive floors that cost more.

Room Tip: Executive level rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your stay. We truly appreciate your business and are glad you were able to see improvements from your last visit. Thank you for all your comments as we are always trying to improve.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

The location of this hotel is great, can't beat it, easy access to the area. The place does get a bit loud when you have weekend kids' tournaments such as when I was there, but most of the kids were well behaved and hotel staff kept them in line where and when appropriate.

The morning coffee bar was very nicely set up and the staff there were probably the nicest, politest, friendliest, and smilingest of anyone we encountered at this hotel. Kudos to them!

The restaurant staff were not so friendly. The host stand or cashier guy (dark hair, Mediterranean perhaps) frowned and was impolite. The breakfast servers were non-chalant and MIA most of the time. The buffet itself was decent but not memorable.

Rooms are decent sized and the bed was very comfortable. All standard amenities were provided and the room was clean with a nice view.

The biggest problem though is that Platinum members get treated with no respect here. No free breakfast as promised. No late checkout as promised. Nothing. For the amount of travel we do each year and the brand dedication to get to Platinum level, you would think that a full-service Marriott location would do better than a CY or FF sub-brand. Nope.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank MGoBlueBoy

Thank you for your comments on your stay here at the Charleston Marriott Town Center. Thank you for your kind words in regards to most of the service you received. The restaurant service will be addressed as it is totally out of standards to provide such lack of service. Your comments will help us to focus and improve in that area. As a Platinum you should have received all the items you mentioned and for that I apologize. Please stay with us again and we will make sure you have a tremendous stay. Again thank you.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I usually stay at Marriot hotels whenever we can. This hotel made a great first impression. Front desk staff and room cleanliness were great.

We were on the 11th floor in a room with a door adjoining the room next door.....this was so noisy and the walls are so badly insulated that I literally heard the guest next door snoring! The staff were great and willing to move us to another room .....but I won't be staying here again when I need a good night's sleep. Maybe other floors have a different level of insulation between rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JohanPittsburgh
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for your very important feed back. I truly am sorry that you experienced a noise issue during your stay. We cerainly would love to have you back as a guest as we have many rooms that do not have adjoining doors that can create a bit of a noise issue. Due to your comments we will look at ways to reduce the noise in these particular rooms. Thank you again and I hope you would consider us again in the future.