“Clean hotel with great restaurant staff”

Charleston Marriott Town Center
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Turin, Italy
“Clean hotel with great restaurant staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

My family stayed here while traveling over the Christmas holiday. The desk staff were courteous and helpful when greeting us. The room we booked wasn't available and they accommodated us by bringing a roll-away bed into the room for us. They were so quick about it, that it was in the room by the time we got there. There was an incredibly loud party outside our room, but we had no trouble going to sleep and never complained.
We enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the restaurant in the morning and the staff there was second to none. They all anticipated our needs and took care of us. The chef at the waffle station made waffles for my children before they ordered them and delivered them to the table. Our waiter asked if we wanted our coffee to go before we even thought of it. The food was good, but we'll remember the staff and use them as a standard to measures others by.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for such positve comments in regards to the staff and the care that they provided for you and your family. We take provide in doing our best to be brilliant hosts. I will pass your comments on to the staff who truly deserve to hear this from you as our guest. Thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Bayside, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I stayed at this Marriott for a business meeting in town, and was travelling with a colleague. Since we arrived at around 10 pm, and the hotel was booked, both of us got the short end of the stick in different ways.. my colleague by being sent to another Marriott property nearby and me with getting stuck with a room next to the elevator and a generator/compressor of some kind right outside the window on top of the roof of the lobby of the conference center or lobby making noise.

The common areas of this hotel are nice - the lobby, the dining areas, and the connection to the parking garage next door so you don't have to brave the elements on a cold, rainy day.

Staff were friendly from the front desk and the wait staff in the restaurant for breakfast. The room itself was a good size. The bed was comfortable with a lot of pillows and good linens. But given what I noted up top about the location of the room, I didn't get a good, comfortable sleep during my stay. That probably would have not been the case if I wasn't the last guest to show up that night!

The parking rate was reasonable, but the breakfast cost in the restaurant or even for quick pick-up at the bar were a little on the pricey side.

Since I'm in Charleston a couple of times a year for work, I would consider staying at the Marriott again especially given the limited options in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank petertom25
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay at the hotel. Your positive comments about the staff and hotel are very much appreciated. I apologize that we were unable to get you in a room that better suited your needs. Please feel free to contact me on your next stay so we can make things right for your. Thank you again.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

The lobby and first floor recently completed a nice update; the rooms look to have been updated within the last few years as well. This is a pretty typical downtown Marriott flagship with a very friendly staff. I had to switch my first room because of a very loud holiday party outside my window at the hotel. This was handled very well by the front desk and they gave me some extra points for the inconvenience of having to change rooms. Both rooms were very clean and the common spaces of the hotel are well kept. The restaurant & bar were nice and have good professional staff.

Room Tip: Go high to avoid noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for all your great comments in regards to our staff and service. It is our pleasure to serve you and the entire staff takes pride in making you feel special. These comments will be passed on to all who deserve your complements. Thank you..
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Run of the mill business hotel. Two of three elevators were out which was annoying. It was clean though and comfortable. Nice bar/restaurant area and acceptable gym. The tidewater grille over in the mall is an easy walk and not a bad place to eat.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedbach on your stay at the hotel. I apologize for the elevator issue as we are doing our annual safety tests and repairs in order to keep all guests safe when using the elevator. We appreciate you as a guest and your complete understanding. Thank you again.
Westerville, Ohio, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I have stayed at the Marriott Town Center a few and I have never been disappointed. The central location and walkway to Mall next-door makes an activity for the down time in a conference. The staff rush to help with your luggage and the front counter all had smiles.
If you travel to Charleston, WV you won't be disappointed staying here.

Room Tip: Try to get the higher rooms so you can see the view of the city
Green Features: The Marriott's have gone to a total non-smoking hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
steve L, General Manager at Charleston Marriott Town Center, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you so much for your extremely positive comments. It was our pleasure to have you as a guest and the entire DECA group. Look forward to see you again. Thank you.
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I lived this Marriott property. Very reasonable rate with incredible customer service, nice rooms & perfectly located in Charleston. You won't want for anything at this Marriott property. The staff is unbelievably helpful & absolutely intuitive. I was so surprised by this hotel....everything from the hotel shuttle to the amenities was spot on perfect. I felt well taken care of, safe, comfortable & that I got a great value.

Room Tip: Up high so you can see the area
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your tremendous comments in regards to your stay at the hotel. It is truly a pleasure to have you as a guest and we look forward to your return. The entire staff will receive your comments which they word extremely hard to achieve. Thank you again.
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

What I Liked
-The room was very clean. No dust bunnies behind the TV or dirt swept under the bed skirt.
-Food at the restaurant was very good and the menu had lots of options.
-It's an older Marriott but they've worked to freshen it up. With its architectural nods to brutalism, it's not the prettiest building but the decor inside softens it up.
-Friendly, professional staff.

What I Did Not Like
-The restaurant, Brick Salt, is really a confederation of two venues -- the bar and a separate restaurant under the Brick Salt name. If you're looking for a place called Brick Salt, you won't find it. It's confusing. Good food makes up for it.
-My treadmill was in rough shape. Couldn't go faster than 8 mph and the TV was broken.
-When you serve milk for cereal, put it in a small pitcher and not a drinking glass. Otherwise, it makes a mess when it's poured.

Shower Rod Test: Passed. Nice and secure. (A loose bar is a good proxy for slipping standards.)
Repeat Business: Yes. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. Your comments included, very clean rooms, very good food, and a professional staff which are the three areas we continue to work on to be the best. Thank you for recoginizing the staff for their outstanding efforts which I will make sure they get a copy of your comments. Thank you again. All fitness center eguipment should be working 100% so I will follow up with your concerns as we are schedule for new equipment in 2014. I will also work on the confusion of the Brick Salt Bar and Kitchen concept and we pass on to the chef your very good food comment. Thank you again.