“Pet-friendly and convenient”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Princeton, West Virginia
“Pet-friendly and convenient”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at Red Roof mostly because they accept pets free of charge! They are also very conveniently located off of Interstate 77/64 at MacCorkle Avenue. The front desk staff are nice, but not what I would call overly friendly. They were very accommodating for us, as my Mom can't climb stairs well and needed a room on the ground floor. The room was nice and clean. It is half carpeted and half linoleum. The only sign of dirtiness was a few white specks on the grey carpet in between the beds. The counter between beds was very small and didn't have a drawer underneath like most do. Also, the A/C unit worked only when it wanted to (hi/lo cool), so we usually had to use the fan. The heat control is on the other side of the room. The beds were comfy, you can drive to your door, and there are many restaurants within walking distance. There is a Wendy's literally 2 steps from the hotel. It's only about 5 minutes to the airport and downtown Charleston. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor, drive up to your door!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate you choosing Red Roof Inn for your family and your pet. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Charleston.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I am just floored by how amazing the experience was. First, when I arrived at the Red Roof Inn, they greeted me not with a simple "Hello", but as though I was someone they had seen every days for years. I felt like I was home the moment I stepped into the office. Second, when I asked any questions about the area or activities, they were knowledgeable about everything and made me feel very secure and stress-free about my stay.

I fly 3 times per week, and often stay at 4-5 hotels per week. I have never had this level of superior customer service. I would sincerely and truthfully drive an hour out of my way to stay here again just because of Connie and Sherry. This feels like a warm, inviting location because of these two employees. I wish I could have this type of experience in other businesses, it is just amazing and refreshing.

Aside from the remarkable service, the room is clean, organized and very cozy. I am easily a loyal Red Roof Inn customer after this experience. 10 out of 10 in every aspect.

Room Tip: I saw Connie and Sherry help another customer after me, and they treat everyone like a friend, so ju...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a pleasant review. Connie and Sherry are great assets to our company. They both go out of their way to make every guest feel at home. Thank you for sharing. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Charleston.
West Yellowstone, Montana
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Stopped here passing through. supposed to be 100% smoke free but the first room I looked at smelled like a cigarette. Second room seemed ok after a quick sniff and glace so I took it. Room turned out to be very moist, black mold in bathroom, and cigarette burn holes on the underside of thr comforter. Comfortable mattress. Upon showering in the morning something about the added moisture brought out a strong urine odor most likely from the rug on either side of the bed. Mesh chair at desk had bits of this and that stuck in it, a few hairs that did not belong to me on the floor as well. Mini fridge was too cold and froze my food. A few additional things to note, there is only fast food closeby for meal options, there is a decent grocery store close. There is an automatic charge on the bill for use of the safe you must tell them you did not use the safe upon checkout to avoid the charge.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
We appreciate your feedback and will address every issue with my staff. I apologize that your stay didn’t meet your expectations. We take pride in our rooms and yes we are 100% smoke free, unfortunately we do get a few rebellious guests that choose to smoke anyway. We do charge them for the cleanup and use every means to get the room back to the smoke free experience. I’m sorry that didn’t happen in your case. At Red Roof Inn we want our guest to have a great experience and we were unable to meet those standards for you, and I do apologize for that. Please let us make it up to you. I ask if you ever pass through Charleston again you will give us another chance to better serve you.

Travellers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Fairmont
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Well...maybe these room have been redone..did not see before...or maybe we didn't get one..but we were told we got the premium...but...not as nice as pics on internet. Front desk was wonderful..everyone so over the top kind. wooden floors I like.no nasty carpet. Place was ok clean...I spilled water on the floor and wiped up with white towel and white towel was black...so, guess the floor don't get moped much...bed mattress didn't seem to old...ok comfort, which was good...pretty quite and water was hot...so it fit the bill...flat screen tv if you are a tv watcher. Had a pretty nasty odor which never when away. Actually the worse Red Roof we have ever stayed in...most of the time Red roof's are pretty nice...not Marriott..but then does not cost like the Marriott...No bugs in sight so that is a huge plus...If looking for a plain place to spend the night and don't expect anything fancy...this will work. commode and sink and bed were clean...A MUST!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spicysince2001
I appreciate you taking the time to write this review. First let me apologize that your floor didn't seem to be mopped properly. I will address this with my staff. At Red Roof Inn we want your experience to be the best possible. We didn't meet those standards for you and for that I do apologize. I hope if you are ever in Charleston again you will give us a second chance to better serve you.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have been staying at this inn several times a year for the past 30 plus years. In recent years it was getting a bit run down but it was convenient for me. They have now renovated all of the rooms and added a premium room category. Very nice. I appreciated the new king bed and the large desk for my computer and paper work.
Special mention for Connie at the front desk who is always very accommodating and pleasant and recommended the premium room. Thank you Connie!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
I’m so glad you like the new rooms, and recognizing the premium room, it is our best room. Connie is always there to take care of her guest; she just received an award from Red Roof Inn for all of her great accomplishments. We thank you for telling us about your stay and appreciate you taking the time to give us this great review.
Foster, Kentucky
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I want to thank Connie at the Front Desk she is the only one that ever gets my boyfriends reservation correct and put his corporate code in to get his discount...the rooms are nice and clean I would differently recommend this hotel to anyone...Thanks Connie you are awesome

Room Tip: I like the preminum king room it is nice to have that snack in the morning
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cindi A
Connie is an awesome employee and has recently won a very prestige award for her great customer service we are very privileged to have her as an employee. She always goes above and beyond for her guest and makes them feel at home. Thank you so much for recognizing Connie for all the hard work she does.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Lets begin by talking about Vin, the awesome gentleman who was at the front desk. We used this as a midway point while traveling for the first time with our infant daughter. We arrived pretty late and we exhausted but he was very kind, cheerful, and quick at getting us into our room. He asked us if there was anything he needed he'd be there and I think he genuinely meant it. On our way back home we stopped here again and he was even nicer (I didn't think that was possible). The hotel itself has just been renovated and is pretty nice for such a cheap price. A good "stop over" place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
We appreciate the kind words about our renovation and Vin. He hasn't been with us but a short amount of time yet he has been able to step up and make our guest feel welcomed. We hope the next time you are in our area you will continue to choose Red Roof Inn.