“Excellent place to stay”

Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Oakwood, Illinois
“Excellent place to stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in June 2012 as a halfway point between central Illinois and Williamsburg, Virginia. I did extensive research to find a hotel in the Charleston area with a pool, in room fridge, free wifi and breakfast that was close to the interstate with decent reviews. This Holiday Inn certainly fit the bill, and we were very pleased with our stay. The room was very clean and comfortable, and the indoor pool area was fabulous. The included continental breakfast was better than most restaurants(!), and there was a good Mexican restaurant within walking distance. In fact, this was our favorite hotel of the entire trip! We would not hesitate to stay here again - highly recommended.

Room Tip: There is some train noise all over Charleston due to all of the railroads, but the noise seemed to b...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Natalie S
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Thank you for your review! I am always happy to hear from our guests. I am glad to hear that you had a great time at our hotel and that you enjoyed the pool area. I look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel through Charleston, West Virginia!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Room was clean and well decorated, complementary breakfast was good with hot sausage and potatoes (eggs were powdered so I didn't eat them). Staff was helpful, courteous, welcoming and professional. I'd say the best thing about this hotel is the staff. Unfortunately on my second night here at 4:00 am I encountered a cockroach in my room. The man running the front desk refunded me for one night of my stay and the maintenance man came and killed the cockroach for me, but I didn't get any sleep after that. Then at 5:30 am one of those creepy water bugs with 10 long legs went crawling across the wall. I couldn't get out of the room fast enough. I spent the day falling asleep at work due to no sleep. I'm not going to stay here again because bugs bother me too much. Next business trip I'll stay elsewhere and encourage others from the company to do the same. If you don't mind bugs this is a good hotel.

Pictures of the bugs for the curious:

• Stayed July 2012
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you for your review and the kind words regarding our hotel. I am terribly sorry for the problems you experienced as well. I want to assure you that it is not typical for our hotel and we are taking steps to investigate and correct the problem. If you would like to talk to me about the incident and ensure that your stay has been handled to your satisfaction, you can reach me at (304) 744-4641 and ask for Joe Baber.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The hotel is a little older, but the rooms are still very nice and the lobby is decent. The staff was fairly friendly and I found the place to be pretty clean. The location isn't the best, but it's still downtown.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Malvern, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Met my expectations for a mid-level hotel chain. Candidly, this hotel was not my first choice for staying at a Charleston area hotel; but many other hotels were booked full during my stay. The positives: comfortable bed, good water pressure and ample hot water, small fridge in room, good housekeeping, friendly & professional front desk staff. Things to work on: climate control fan appeared to be louder than what I am accustomed to; lighting in bathroom is not bright enough; there are areas in the hallway and other common areas where the air conditioning does not cool adequately; the interior of the elevator cars are in desparate need of a facelift; and free breakfast is below average compared to similar hotels offering free breakfast. Also note that it appears the hotel allows pets; saw two dogs in the hall. Beyond the control of management: hotel location. I couldn't find a past review that mentions the close proximity of a railroad track along the back of the hotel. Despite the loud room fan, I was awoken twice by the rumbling sounds of trains. The neighborhood and general area is very unappealing; there is a chemical plant close by and the hotel is set near I-64. This is not the best place to take a walk or jog if you are so inclined. Overall, a good mix of pros and cons.

Room Tip: request a room as far away from the railroad as possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Keystone_Traveler
Thank you for the review. I appreciate your comments about the Housekeeping and Front Desk staff and will be sure to relay those to them. Our elevators are scheduled to be replaced in August, and I have brought up your other comments to our Maintenance and Kitchen staff for review. If you would like to contact me to let us know which room you stayed in so that we can look at the fans and lights, please call me at 304-746-4641 and ask for Joe Baber, and I will be happy to talk to you.
Sylvania, Ohio
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our way back from Myrtle Beach. The area had just expereinced severe storms and the hotel was full with people displaced from there homes. The staff was very busy but they handled the situation professionally. They were very courteous and helpful. The hotel was clean. The restaurant was very good. The free breakfast was very good and offered a variety of hot and cold foods. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you book through Travelocity, you may not get a non-smoking room, even if you specified this when...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Joe B, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that we were your stopping point on the way back from Myrtle Beach. Thank you for your comments about the professional, friendly staff as well. It is great to hear that a guest would stay again, and I look forward to your future visits!
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Our family loved their stay...remodeled hotel made our stay fantastic! Kids loved the pool and rooms! Confirms the review of the #1 hotel in Charleston!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for the review! I appreciate your comments I'm happy that your kids loved the pool and their rooms. I hope to see you and them again!
Fort Ashby, West Virginia
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This hotel was formerly a Ramada Inn where I stayed 35 years ago. It has been completely remodeled. The lobby, pool, rooms, and breakfast nook are beautifully decorated. The drawbacks were the s... l... o... w... motion elevators. More than once, I bolted for the stairs rather than wait. The free breakfast was just that, but not much was offered. No juice, just cereal, pastry, or instant eggs and cold sausage patties. One other plus, it is pet friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by the elevators and would like to let you know that we are replacing the elevators in August, and that should take care of the problems that you experienced. I'm also sorry that your experience at breakfast was less than satisfactory. I hope you will give us a chance to show improvement in our offerings in the future!