“Nice hotel in an area with limited options”

Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Richmond, Virginia
“Nice hotel in an area with limited options”
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel about a dozen times in the past year....it is well equipped and clean. The front desk staff is usually just ok, but the servers are always excellent. The complimentary breakfast buffet is better than most Holiday Inns with multiple hot options like eggs, protein and biscuits with gravy. The workout room is also a little better than most hotels like this. The pool is very nice as well. Not many places to eat near the hotel and the food on the lunch/dinner menu is only so-so. I have also had issues with the elevators being out of commission on multiple trips. Thankfully they have a 2nd one, but in a hotel this size, you have to wait for quite some time when one of the elevators is out. I have experience issues with no hot water on 2 trips too. The big perk is it is very easy to get to being right off the highway, so convenient when you're there for business and need to come and go frequently. Considering the hotel options in this city, this is one of the best, and one of only 2 with a restaurant in it.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
FrequentTravels3071, Thank you for your comments. I am happy that your overall stay was good and that you enjoyed the pool and workout room. I am sorry for the issues with the elevator during your stay, and thank you for bringing the matter to our attention. We are working with the contractor to eliminate these issues and they should be completely fixed very shortly. Please give us the opportunity to show that to you on a return visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Right off the interchange it was a welcoming sight for our weary eyes and bodies.....nice staff...even had a bar and light dinner fair. The exercise room was clean and well equipped. Beds comfy and breakfast better than some. Charlie our terrier gives it 4 woofs!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisatanker
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Lisatanker, I thank you and Charlie for your comments. I am happy to hear that you were comfortable and rested after staying with us, and we look forward to a return visit.
Torrance, California
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed this hotel for 3 nights and I was amazed by how beautiful this hotel was. I am from Cali. and stayed so many different hotels but I can say this hotel was one of the best hotel I have ever stayed!
Room was nice and pool area was gorgeous, well maintained.
Best thing about this hotel was very friendly stuff, especially those works in the breakfast area. Two ladies were working during my stay and both of them were very kind and hard working. I believe her name was Eli(not sure the spelling but she is an asian girl) she was very nice and went above and beyond to meet my needs during my stay. She was also nice to my entire family and we totally appreciate her kindness.
I highly definitely recommend this hotel and sure will come back next time!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank amiller13
amiller13, Thank you so very much for your comments about our hotel and the staff. Eri was the girl you mentioned, and we think she's great as well. I greatly appreciate your recommendations to others about our hotel and we are looking forward to seeing you again.
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

In town for a conference, couldn't be happier with the accommodations. Great rooms, excellent breakfast.

Jim, a hotel associate, was the highlight of the hotel. As the first person from West Virginia I met after getting off my flight, he made it clear that he was there to make my stay as positive as possible.

He pointed out landmarks, gave restaurant tips and provided all the hotel information I needed. Thanks to him and the entire staff of this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Amfadino, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and that our Associate Jim was able to give you so much information and made you feel so comfortable while you were with us. We appreciate the compliments and look forward to seeing you again.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Our room was nice and clean, comfy beds. In fact I went on line and bought one of the firm pillows. They need some signage on the road because it isn't an obvious address. Breakfast was great. The only odd thing about the room was the sink in the bathroom. It is a beautiful bathroom, but the sink and pedestal are pretty high. I am short, therein was the dilemma. Otherwise all great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Cherri D, Thank you for taking time to write a review of our property. We appreciate the comments and I am happy to hear your stay was restful. We would love to see you again on a future visit.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The hotel had a very nice lobby, clean rooms, and free breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a free shuttle to take you to and from the airport, local attractions and local shopping. There was minimal wait time for the few times that I used the shuttle. Also, you can reserve shuttle times in advance. Although across the river from downtown Charleston, the shuttle can take you to any location within 15 minutes. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the back as a railroad line runs behind the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
professordoctormom, Thank you for the gracious compliments. The Staff and I appreciate the way you went out of your way to name those employees that helped you the most. We are all happy to hear that your stay was exemplary and we look forward to seeing you again!
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Wow, this is a terrific improvement over the old Ramada. The wonderful bird, Mosa, is still there. The entire place has been remodeled and expanded. Mia and Kimberly greeted me. I was working in the meeting room on Sunday night to get set up for Monday. David in restaurant checked on me in meeting room and said it was the first Sunday they were open for supper. The cobb salad is excellent and the bar/restaurant area is gorgeous. It's very open and airy. Both the banquet attendant, Nanami, and Brandon (meeting setup) introduced themselves. Joyce in sales also came by to check that everything was right for our meeting.

Room Tip: There was a complimentary breakfast for guests. This was a nice surprise (and it was delicious).
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business