“Incredibly dirty” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Incredibly dirty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

First the good: The lobby, pool, weight room and rooms had an incredibly layout. The staff were sweet but didn't quite act like they should and seemed to focus too much on remembering to say ma'am or sir instead of telling you where the elevators are or which room you're in.
The bad: When we first walked in the room, it looked absolutely incredible. That is until you look a little closer. The fridge had insane dents in it, the couch was broken, there was hair and dried semen (or so it looked) on the bed. The stools were rotting (one of them broke just by moving it) and the room looked like it had not been dusted since it opened. Not to mention how dirty the rest was. The inside of the fridge was dirty, the dishes in the room had stains and dried food on them, the carpets looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in a few weeks and the mirrors were covered in finger prints from at least a few different people.
They switched our room, no problem, but the second room wasn't much of an improvement.
On a better note, the food, although it was bar food, it was great and worth the price but certainly did not make up for the rest of it.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Pennsylvania,

Thank you so much for your comments and concerns. We always appreciate your feedback so that we can make any necessary improvements. Please accept my sincere apology for your experience and my humble regret that we did not meet your expectations or mine. I assure you this is not typical of our Holiday Inn & Suites and I have shared these comments with my entire team. Changes will be made. We would love to be able to show you our sincere regret and would value the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please feel free to connect with me at the hotel for further discussion.

Sandy Arnold-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were tired and looking for a pet-friendly hotel in Charleston. We were so pleasantly surprised and lucky to find this hotel. Unfortunately we did not have the opportunity to enjoy the lovely pool and fitness center, but we did obtain a decent meal and beverages when we arrived at 9:00 pm. We had to pay an extra $25 for the dog, but overall we could not have been more pleased with our experience here. This is our first time traveling with a pet and it would be nice if Trip Advisor would add pet-friendly as a category. Will definitely return when passing through. The service was very good with no exceptions, even the server at the breakfast buffet - very customer oriented.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank browns_1950
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
browns_1950, I'm happy to hear we were able to accommodate you and your pet, and I do wish you had had more time with us, but I understand busy schedules while traveling. Thank you for the compliments and we will be looking forward to your return visits when you pass this way again. Thank you so much for your stay!
Forest Hil, WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I stayed the night at this Holiday Inn overnight after a Brad Paisley concert we were going to. I booked this hotel because of the price and good reviews. It is a VERY good value. We checked in promptly at three and the check-in was seamless. There was a very nice gentleman that checked us in. We were notified that there would be a free breakfast buffet the next morning, which I knew about from the reviews on here, but was not advertised with booking. We went to the room, went to eat, then concert, then back to the resort about midnight. I went to the lounge area starving only to find out that we barely missed the kitchen closing. Someone nearby was eating a pizza and it looked good. They did have a market with some microwave goodies, chips, and such. The bartender was abrupt and did not at all seem to enjoy her job. The hotel market sufficed. The hotel itself is well-appointed and nice. The pool and hot tub area seemed nice, but we didn't utilize it. The room was clean, but there was an odor of cleaners - reminded me of powders used to clean up after pets. This is a very pet-friendly hotel. The pillows were too soft for our liking. If it had been a longer stay, we would have likely requested new pillows. Breakfast was plentiful with a good selection. Check-out was again seamless. Overall, a good stay. I would stay here again. Price was definitely right!

Room Tip: We had room 101, very quiet. No complaints.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Couplesgirl
Couplesgirl, I would have loved to see the concert, I'm glad you got the chance to go and happy that we were able to be your hotel of choice for your stay. I am sorry to hear about the issue with our bartender and want to assure you that that is not typical of our service. I will address that, so we can provide a better experience to all our guests. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and hope you will come back again.
South Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

A great hotel. Great pool and hot tub. Good breakfast buffet and Very friendly staff. A special thanks to Andrew who went above and beyond during our stay. He went out of his way to help!

The only complaint that I have was that trip advisor requires 200 characters to submit!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Happystaytoday
Happystaytoday, Wonderful! Thank you so very much for the compliments especially for Staff member. I would love to see you again during another trip and show you the same great time!
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Super nice employees. Great breakfast. Great comfortable room. We were totally pleased! THANK YOU for allowing us to bring our little dog with us. We will be staying there again as long as they keep the pet policy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Haymaress
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Haymaress, What wonderful compliments! I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay, and were pleased. We are pet-friendly hotel and have no plans to make any changes to that in the foreseeable future. Thank you for staying with us and I will see you again soon!
Cumberland, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

A good hotel, staff was very friendly, stayed there one night. Only complaint was bathroom floor was dirty, and tub stopper did not work. Bed was extremely comfortable, quiet sleep. But other then that great, complimentary breakfast was great. All restaurant staff was friendly, lava cake was great

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
countrygirl507, I apologize for the issues with your bathroom floor and tub stopper want to make you aware that we have taken care of this issue with the staff. Thank you for the compliments to the Restaurant staff and I'm glad you enjoyed the Lava Cake! I look forward to seeing you again on a future visit.
Buckhannon, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I have been attending an Early Childhood Conference for 15 Years and always stayed at the Marriott...I found this hotel and will never go back tot he Marriott again..This hotel is nicer, pet friendly,free Wi-Fi, free breakfast with every stay, plus cheaper than the Marriott...We rode the free shuttle with a young man by the name of Andrew and he was such a delight...I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, with or without children or pets..I came for business but also as a mini get away with hubby and kids...we will most certainly return next year if not before.. .Truly a great find...:)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephanie W
Stephanie W, I am so glad you found our hotel such a great place to stay for your conference! I appreciate your compliments to the staff, especially to Andrew, and I wanted to thank you for the pictures you posted while you were enjoying the hotel. I can't wait to see you again the next time you are in Charleston!