“Fantastic Stay”

Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 14 April 2014

WOW! From the courteous Kimberly at the front desk, to the clean & beautifully updated room and the delicious food9 best french onion soup I've ever eaten!!) and the gorgeous indoor pool & a nice breakfast bar...I will only stay at this spot each time I visit the area...Great Job to all staff at this hotel!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Rosemary W.

We love WOW’s. Thanks for all the compliments and we look forward to you coming back and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here at the Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West.

Sandy Arnold, General Manager

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I am originally from the area and return home from time to time for pleasure and, from time to time, business. The last two times, I have stayed at this hotel. The somewhat recent renovations are amazing, to say the least. As someone else mentioned, I too have stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Westin's, etc., but I'd just as soon stay here. The facility and rooms are excellent and everyone is very helpful and friendly but the morning breakfast is the clincher. Not the breakfast itself, it's very good, fresh and has a good variety, but Gwen makes you feel like she owns the place and is THRILLED that you have chosen to stay with her. Hospitality doesn't begin to describe her. Again, to the owners, there's your meal ticket and if she goes anywhere else, please let me know where it is.

Dear Robb J,

Gwen is never allowed to leave us! We share your high regard for her. What an asset we have and our owners are very grateful for her years of service to our guests. Thanks for recognizing her amazing customer skills.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Sewcond Ave in Charleston, WV on April 4th. I am writing this review because the satff were so outstanding. I have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, the Four Seasons, and the Plaza Hotel and none of them had more attentive and friendly staff. Everyone and I do mean everyone that I came into contact with was friendly and eager to serve. Special thanks to Gwen and Nanami. This facility is very clean and atrractive. My room was very clean, with no smells, the bed was very comfortable and it had a great selection of pillows. The buffet breakfast was nothing special and the hallway of the florr that my room was located smelled of stale cigarette smoke.
Did I mention that the all the staff (front desk, shuttle driver, restaurant, facilities, meeting services) all were happy?! Who has happy employees working at a hotel these days. At most places it seems the staff is on community service, but not at this place.

Dear Joe L,

Thank you for your kind words. We really do attempt to have a great staff and keeping them happy will keep our guests happy. I have shared your mention with Gwen and Nanami. Hope to see you again at the Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I go to monthly meetings at this hotel. The hotel is clean, modern and pleasing to the eye. The rooms are up to date and very comfortable. Great service and friendly staff especially Will, Ray, Sam, and Naimi. The food is delicious. Everyone has been great to work with from the front desk to the grounds keepers. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Milton, Pa.

Thank you so much for your kind words. We love hearing about our people because they make us Great. We appreciate your business and your loyalty. See you next month.

Sandy Arnold, General Manager

Reviewed 19 March 2014

First the good: The lobby, pool, weight room and rooms had an incredibly layout. The staff were sweet but didn't quite act like they should and seemed to focus too much on remembering to say ma'am or sir instead of telling you where the elevators are or which room you're in.
The bad: When we first walked in the room, it looked absolutely incredible. That is until you look a little closer. The fridge had insane dents in it, the couch was broken, there was hair and dried semen (or so it looked) on the bed. The stools were rotting (one of them broke just by moving it) and the room looked like it had not been dusted since it opened. Not to mention how dirty the rest was. The inside of the fridge was dirty, the dishes in the room had stains and dried food on them, the carpets looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in a few weeks and the mirrors were covered in finger prints from at least a few different people.
They switched our room, no problem, but the second room wasn't much of an improvement.
On a better note, the food, although it was bar food, it was great and worth the price but certainly did not make up for the rest of it.

• Stayed: March 2014
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Pennsylvania,

Thank you so much for your comments and concerns. We always appreciate your feedback so that we can make any necessary improvements. Please accept my sincere apology for your experience and my humble regret that we did not meet your expectations or mine. I assure you this is not typical of our Holiday Inn & Suites and I have shared these comments with my entire team. Changes will be made. We would love to be able to show you our sincere regret and would value the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please feel free to connect with me at the hotel for further discussion.

Sandy Arnold-General Manager

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were tired and looking for a pet-friendly hotel in Charleston. We were so pleasantly surprised and lucky to find this hotel. Unfortunately we did not have the opportunity to enjoy the lovely pool and fitness center, but we did obtain a decent meal and beverages when we arrived at 9:00 pm. We had to pay an extra $25 for the dog, but overall we could not have been more pleased with our experience here. This is our first time traveling with a pet and it would be nice if Trip Advisor would add pet-friendly as a category. Will definitely return when passing through. The service was very good with no exceptions, even the server at the breakfast buffet - very customer oriented.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank browns_1950
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

browns_1950, I'm happy to hear we were able to accommodate you and your pet, and I do wish you had had more time with us, but I understand busy schedules while traveling. Thank you for the compliments and we will be looking forward to your return visits when you pass this way again. Thank you so much for your stay!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I stayed the night at this Holiday Inn overnight after a Brad Paisley concert we were going to. I booked this hotel because of the price and good reviews. It is a VERY good value. We checked in promptly at three and the check-in was seamless. There was a very nice gentleman that checked us in. We were notified that there would be a free breakfast buffet the next morning, which I knew about from the reviews on here, but was not advertised with booking. We went to the room, went to eat, then concert, then back to the resort about midnight. I went to the lounge area starving only to find out that we barely missed the kitchen closing. Someone nearby was eating a pizza and it looked good. They did have a market with some microwave goodies, chips, and such. The bartender was abrupt and did not at all seem to enjoy her job. The hotel market sufficed. The hotel itself is well-appointed and nice. The pool and hot tub area seemed nice, but we didn't utilize it. The room was clean, but there was an odor of cleaners - reminded me of powders used to clean up after pets. This is a very pet-friendly hotel. The pillows were too soft for our liking. If it had been a longer stay, we would have likely requested new pillows. Breakfast was plentiful with a good selection. Check-out was again seamless. Overall, a good stay. I would stay here again. Price was definitely right!

Room Tip: We had room 101, very quiet. No complaints.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Couplesgirl

Couplesgirl, I would have loved to see the concert, I'm glad you got the chance to go and happy that we were able to be your hotel of choice for your stay. I am sorry to hear about the issue with our bartender and want to assure you that that is not typical of our service. I will address that, so we can provide a better experience to all our guests. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and hope you will come back again.