“Perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Pleasant Ridge, Michigan
“Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We were driving cross country and needed a first stop for the night. We've stayed in Charleston before but never at the Holiday Inn. The room and breakfast were great. The kids wished we had time for the pool which looked really nice. Short drive to downtown.

Stayed April 2014
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear KDonley,

Next time we hope you will be able to enjoy the great indoor pool area. Maybe on your way back. Thanks for the review.

S. Arnold, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Kitty Hawk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Have stayed here before but this time sheets were very pilly, A/C did not work properly, took forever for water to heat up and grabbed yogurt and a banana on way out in the morning. The yogurt, although in a mini fridge in the lobby, was NOT cold and the banana was mushy!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jackie C,

I regret that your visit this time may not have been as perfect as in the past. Please accept my sincere apology and know I have addressed the areas you mentioned. I hope you stopped at the front desk and shared these same concerns so that they would know the room number. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to your return visit so we can show you our improvements.

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Very modern looking hotel. Clean and lots of amenities. I only stayed here for the night as I passed through and just needed a bed. The room was just big enough and comfortable.

The tub didn't drain very well though. I understand maintenance things like that can happen, so didn't let it bother me too much (we were only there for 10 hours anyway. I made sure the front desk knew so they could get it fixed.

They also had free continental breakfast (stay away from the "eggs"!) and they have free wifi

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Wherenow3,

Ten hours is definitely not enough time to really enjoy all the amenities of the beautiful indoor pool, fitness room Jacuzzi and video room. Sorry that your tub drained slowly but really appreciate that you told us about it so that we could address the repair. We look forward to a return visit soon.

Thanks,
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was traveling with my dog and needed an overnight stop as I couldn't make it all the way home. I was referred to the hotel by Bringfido.com. I will never stay here again. The room was dirty, hairs in the shower, no drinking glasses, no bags in the trash cans, candy or icing on the floor in the bathroom, looked like someone laid on the one bed, I was going to go to another room, but it was worse & I was so exhausted from driving 10 hours I just sucked it up and stayed. But I will not return. It was a shame I had to pay to stay in such a place. I had just come from another Holiday Inn at Asheville North Carolina & it was awesome in every way. So sad this was not up to the same par. The breakfast was so so. The breakfast hostess was very friendly & helpful and the check in staff was pleasant. But that is not enough to make up for the other.

Room Tip: Room on the small courtyard seemed better than those facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear OliviaJoys,

As a pet owner who travels I understand the joy in finding a hotel that welcomes my dog, I am so sorry for your experience and I would really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you so that we can make this right. We value all our guests and when we do not meet their expectations we want to be told about it prior to your departure so that we can make any necessary changes and improvements. I have shared your comments with our managers and we will address all the issues. Again please connect with me so that we can discuss how to make this right.

Thanks, S. Arnold, GM
Madison Heights, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel. Not fond of the location but not much you can do about that. The free breakfast was good and plentiful. The pool was nice. Restaurant was good. All stag I came into contact with were friendly. Parrot was a little distracting during the class I was taking in a conference room, but a cool touch to the hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Travel/ByBrandon,

Thanks for the review and the positive comments. Mosa, our parrot can be frisky some days but is always something to talk about. Especially when she decides to whistle. Come back soon.

S. Arnold, General Manager
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I particularly want to go out of my way to write a positive review about this incredible hotel! While traveling from Chicago to Raleigh, my friend and I needed a hotel to crash overnight at in Charleston. This place truly was a diamond in the rough. We booked through Hotwire pretty late in the evening and got a great rate. When we arrived, we were really surprised to see how modern/updated the interior of the hotel was. We were pleasantly greeted by the front desk attendant who quickly checked us in. He told us we could use the pool (this was awesome, and had we not been exhausted from travelling, we definitely would have taken him up on this offer. Most hotels close their pools by 10 PM. This pool also looked brand new and super swanky). He also let us know there was a full free breakfast served at 6 AM. We made our way to our room and we were very pleased. Both beds had giant fluffy pillows. The room and bathroom were both clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The TV was also an LCD flat screen (believe it or not, I have stayed at some hotels that still have tubes!) Yes, the room might be slightly outdated, but honestly, what mattered the most was cleanliness, comfortable beds, and working appliances (TV, mini fridge, microwave, AC, alarm clock, lamps, etc – and all worked perfectly fine!) We both woke up refreshed and agreed to check out the breakfast spread before heading on the road. We were not expecting much considering the breakfast was free. We made our way down and WOW. I have stayed in plenty of hotels before (different brands, not just Holiday Inn’s) and this was the best free spread I have seen. There were so many choices (both hot and cold offerings): eggs, ham, sausage, potatoes, different name brand cereals, hot oatmeal with toppings, breads/muffins/bagels with a toaster and spreads available, yogurt, fresh fruit, and coffee. Did I mention this was all FREE? I took a peek at the people complaining here about the FREE breakfast. If anything, toast yourself a bagel and take a packet of Philadelphia cream cheese. Or a box of Frosted Flakes and milk and have a bowl of cereal. I was shocked at how much was offered for all the guests in the morning. And I will mention this once again. IT WAS ALL FREE. We left full and happy and did not need to stop and eat again all the way to North Carolina. We received such warm and friendly customer service from the front desk attendant while enjoying our breakfast. She had a cute Southern accent too (definitely not used to that in Chicago!) This was a great hotel and I am happy we found it on Hotwire! I would ABSOLUTELY stay here again if I ever had to drive through Charleston again. Thank you Holiday Inn for taking care of me and my friend and for the AWESOME free breakfast the next morning!

Room Tip: First floor is for pets
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Terri S
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Terri S,

Such a wonderful review! Thank you so very much for taking your time to write that detailed review. I was sorry to hear that you were unable to use our pool, but given your trip and destination I can understand being so tired. I'm glad you got a restful sleep and enjoyed the room so much as well as our breakfast and the staff. We do offer a complimentary breakfast, as well as a made to order option for those who want something not found on our buffett. Thank you again for the kind words on our staff and the property and please, stop by anytime you come through the area!
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I'm a former resident of Charleston, and I currently reside in Brooklyn, NY.
I am an experienced traveler.

My wife and I stayed here while visiting my family for a few days. The hotel, on its face, was nice. The lobby and restaurant were clean and bright. The staff was friendly and attentive. The set up of the pool area was a bit unusual for me, as it was next to the lobby, separated only by a glass wall so every one could see you while trying to have a relaxing swim. Seemed odd, to me. It was very nice and modern though. Too bad that all ended there. To the room...

The room:
The over all set up of the suite with the kind bedroom was a nice set up. It had a full kitchen with a nice bar counter. It also had a nice sitting area. The bathroom had a spacious counter, but would have been better used if it had a second sink.

It all needs renovated and modernized. desperately!

We were in a smoking room, and upon first entry, BAM!, the overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke. ran, didn't walk, to the nearest store, 7/11, it was 11:30,to get air freshener. I was planning to buy them out. sadly all they had was Fabreeze for fabrics, but was ok as we drenched the carpet and furniture in the stuff. With the addition of a few candles and a can of air freshener by the third night the stench had nearly subsided. You're welcome next person. The hall also smelled like they had never cleaned the carpet. Elevators too! Could not sleep the first night, we arrived late and wanted to go directly to sleep but could not due to the horrendous smell. Have stayed in other hotels across the U.S., Europe, and Japan, and have never experienced such a bad cigarette smell. There was even this one time in Albuquerque....

A big plus was the parrot that lives there. Was fun to visit with him, he is twenty, was able to get him to say hello. He likes Cheetos but maybe a healthier option should be considered, lol.

As for the free breakfast... was NOT the greatest, at least not for my wife and I. The coffee was good, so were the frosted flakes, lol! Blueberry muffins, meh! Biscuits were ok, gravy was as well. But the eggs, ham, and sausage were not good, seemed processed. Glad it was free, did not partake in other than to get coffee, and oranges after the first morning. Go to Tudors Biscuit world on the west side, Virginia St. (I think), for a good, cheep alternative. My fave is the Mickey, coffee is weak though.

The smoking rooms need air purifiers.

The rooms and halls desperately need renovation. Things need to be brightened up, like the lobby. seems like they just added on a new Holiday Inn lobby, pool, restaurant, and conference area to the old Ramada Inn and didn't renovate the old Ramada building. Too bad!

I don't mean to seem harsh but my hope is to improve the over all quality of the hotel and for those that stay there.

Room Tip: choose a non-smoking room unless you have a good supply of Fabreeze for fabrics, and air freshener...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank B H
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear B.H.

As an experienced traveler, you know how difficult it is to find hotels that meet a lot of the diversified travelers needs coming through Charleston, WV. Yes we do still have a smoking floor within the hotel, as well, we also are pet friendly. Both Amenities, offer unique challenges. My humble apologies for the odor, we continue to investigate special products to reduce the issues and the demand for these rooms is very high.

I truly appreciate all the comments, especially about Mosa, our parrot. Our complimentary breakfast includes both hot and cold varieties and we also offer a full a la carte menu for purchases should you choose a cooked to order option.

Again, thank you for sharing and I hope the next time you are in Charleston WV you will give us the opportunity to improve your experience.

Sandy Arnold