“Not so good this time”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Florida
“Not so good this time”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stay here every time we head to NC. Normally we have no complaints.This time however both stays (up and back) were not so good. On our way to NC we were in room 514. The toilet was used/dirty (dribble spots). The pullout was extremely uncomfortable. It had zero support, the black canvass that usually covers the bottom wasn't there, just open bars.

On our return trip home we stayed in room 416, which was very large and spacious. The curtains in the living room didn't cover the window. There is about an almost three foot gap. Upon arriving in the room, the left curtain wasn't completely attached and was hanging. My husband had to use a chair to stand on, but before he could he had to tighten the screws on the chair which were very loose. After attaching the curtain, there was an approximate 3 ft gap leaving space for people to see in. The bathroom toilet drips. The entire shower ensemble moves when you turn on the water. Adjusting the shower head was difficult. Water pressure was fine. The bed ruffle was way uneven exposing the box underneath as well as the red gummy candy on the floor. The pullout was in much better shape than the one in room 514 except for the piece of sausage at the bottom when opening it.

For $150 a night?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Murphs314
HolidayInnSuitesC, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Murphs314,

I am sorry for the issues you experienced back in April of 2014. In that time we have commisioned new curtains and had extensive retraining with members of the staff on how our rooms are to be maintained. I assure you the issues you brought up have been taken care of. I apologize for the fact that we were not able to deliver a stay that you could rate as excellent, and I hope that you would let us prove to you on another stay that we have improved our experience back up to the expectations of all our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is my third time staying at the Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, and time and time again, it never disappoints!! We always stay at this hotel while traveling south! The hotel is beautiful from the moment you walk in!! The staff is extremely friendly, from front desk, to the restaurant, to housekeeping. One of our favorites with this hotel is the pool/spa area, with 4 young kids, and lots of time spent in the car, they can't wait to get out and have a lot of fun! The pool is huge, and has an attached small pool for toddlers with "sprayers"! The hot tub is huge and very relaxing for us adults. We always have dinner at the restaurant, which is great because the kids eat free!! In the morning the hot breakfast buffet is complimentary as well! The room is spacious and extremely clean, as well as updated with top of the notch bedding and towels. I always get an amazing price at this hotel, what a great value for such an amazing place! I highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting the Charleston, WV area!!

Holly H,

I would like to thank you for your review, and all the wonderful comments relating to our amenities and staff. It's great that you all enjoyed the pool/spa area so much! I thank you for your recommendation to others and I look forward to seeing you and the family again!
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in all kinds of hotels, all across the US, as well as internationally. My husband, two children, and black lab recently spent a night during a visit to Charleston. It was one of the most enjoyable hotel stays ever. The decor was stylish, the beds extremely comfortable, the pool very fun with its shooting fountains and waterfall, and the price very reasonable. But it was the staff that made our experience so great. They were exceptionally friendly and helpful. I can't wait to return to Charleston and stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lisa R
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Lisa R,

Your comments are very much appreciated. We love your story and that you could stay with the kids and dog and keep everyone busy. Please come back soon and black labs are always welcome too.

S Arnold, GM
Boerne, Texas
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked online before our driving trip to New Hampshire. We didn't know what to expect. We arrived about 9:30 at night. The front staff was great and check in was a breeze. The place is average on the outside but is beautiful on the inside. The hotel has a bar and a restaurant. We put our stuff in the room and changed to hit the pool and hot tub. We stopped by the bar and got a couple of drinks to takewith us to the pool. The bartender was very sweet and made good drinks. The pool and hot tub was great. It is inside and was clean. The pool is a heated saltwater pool. I think the hot tub is cloranated but is clean and does not have a really strong smell. Beds were comfortable and had a good night sleep. We didn't eat there and left early the next morning.

Room Tip: If in the area and looking for a great hotel, stop here.
2 Thank Bill L
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Bill L,

We love to Pleasantly Surprise on guests. So glad you found us during your road trip and thank you for all the nice comments.

S Arnold, GM
Lithonia, Georgia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I simply do not know where to begin! This was a wonderful experience for me! Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was so beautiful! It was a great price! I tell you, I've paid more for less at other hotels! Therefore, I am most impressed with the location!

Michael S. really gave great service! I arrived rather early and he was kind enough to check to see if my room was available. Although it was not, he said that he could make sure that it would be ready within the next 30 minutes. I asked him about locations to eat and have gave me a few great suggestions! When I returned, my room was ready. He was so pleasant to speak to and really made my day!

He asked was I coming in for something special. I shared that I was there for my nephew's wedding. He asked if I had other family members coming and I answered in the affirmative. He was kind enough to go out of his way to ensure that we were all on the same floor! How cool is that?

The pool area, restaurants and large suites were so nice, I felt like I was at a retreat on vacation! This location is not just any other hotel to lay your head! That's for sure! It was a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Every room is beautiful! But... you should definitely choose a suite! It has a full kitchen!
1 Thank LesliesLane
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear LesliesLane,

I need you on my sales team. Your account of the experience is exactly what we are striving to accomplish. Provide you with a great experience with not only our product but more importantly with our staff. Thank you for the kind words about Mike, he is one of our many superstars.

Prairieville, Louisiana
Reviewed 10 June 2014

nice , huge, clean hotel, rooms where very comfortable, a/c was average, we walked to nearby Mexican restaurant Los Agaves, was great, average plate $7, parking good, wifi no charge, nice breakfast buffet

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elisa J
Dear Elisa J,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at Holiday Inn and Suites in South Charleston, WV. We appreciate the nice comments.

Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Was driving from Atlanta to Pittsburgh which is normally a 10 hour drive so I decided to break up the trip and spend the night in Charleston which is only a 7 hour drive. Well I made it in 12 hours so guess what not in a good mood. Everything was perfect room was great etc etc actually woke up refreshed and ready to go. Wife liked the place so much she is looking for a reason to go back and check out the local attractions. win win

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marcos1234
HolidayInnSuitesC, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Charleston West, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Marcos 1234,

Don’t you love it when a plan comes together? Being refreshed in order to again spend time driving always makes a trip better. Tell your wife she does not need a reason to come back to check out the area, just come for a weekend and relax in the indoor pool or enjoy room service and our Comedy Zone shows.