“Best Food in Charleston”
Review of Bridge Road Bistro

Bridge Road Bistro
Ranked #26 of 281 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$19 - US$50
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Road Bistro is located in the quaint South Hills neighborhood of Charleston, just minutes from downtown. Since opening in 2004, the Bistro has earned both regional & national acclaim for its cuisine & has earned The Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence for the last 5 Years. Our cuisine is classically rooted with global & contemporary influences while supporting local farmers, regional producers & our community. We specialize in locally grown vegetables and grain fed natural beef, veal & lamb. We support our WV Farmers and provide many seafood and American dishes as well. We have 2 private rooms for intimate settings. The Walnut Room may accommodate up to 50 guest and the Ellis Room 25 guest. We have a wonderful Breakfast Buffet on Sundays. Live Entertainment on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Caterings for weddings, rehearsals, business needs and any other special occasion you may have. Deliveries and Pick Ups welcome as well. We Hope to See you Soon!!!
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Finding decent food in Charleston is like finding a gold in a coal mine....rare. But BRB....seems to have struck it rich. Service is sweet and fluid. Selections are vast and fresh each time. Very nice layout, cool bar, nice area only 5 minutes across the bridge and up the hill.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Walked in around 4:00pm on a Saturday afternoon. Decided to sit in the bar area because the dining area has all of the ambience of a Shoney's(booths, booths and more booths). Stood there in the bar area with my friend for a good eight minutes due to the fact that every single table and every single open place at the bar was cluttered with dirty dishes, dirty glasses,etc. At the time there were only three people at the bar with no one else in the bar area so it wasn't like the staff was extremely busy. We finally got a small table cleared and were seated. We ordered drinks and food. I had the salad with Ahi. The house vinaigrette did a nice job hiding the tasteless, off color and not very fresh tuna. After being there a while and having additional drinks things got better as they often do with additional drinks. Overall, a disappointing dining experience but not a bad bar.

2  Thank PDAdkins
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I noticed there are guest that complain of a "pricey" menu?? But the Bistro has the ambiance, cleanliness, food quality and an excellent staff that caters to your beck and call! They have experienced a tragic loss of one of the owners but Chef Wong's Wife Sherri is still a staple there. The GM and Executive Chef has worked for the Wong's over 2 years now and they know exactly what they need to do. The menu changes with the seasons...they are a Farm to Table independent business! Charleston is blessed to have the Bistro to call it's own. The food quality and to know that it supports local farmers is definately worth the extra dime! They have the Best Servers and Bartenders hands down and not to mention they have an award winning wine list going on 6 years now. I strongly recommend the Bistro if you ever stop in Charleston WV! Experience a sophisticated dining experience nestled in the South Hills away from the Crime downtown.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

The Bridge Road Bistro is a popular bar and restaurant among Charleston folk, especially the South Hills set, yeah, you know who you are. The bar waiters are great at making you feel right at home (thanks, Derek), just like Cheers. That keeps lots of folks coming back again and again. The original owner and chef, Robert Wong, died an untimely death in the past year. He was a successful community pillar, entrepreneur and family man. Chef Wong's original vision was of a "small plates" restaurant, but Charleston wasn't quite ready for that. So the restaurant morphed into a traditional menu, which ultimately took the cost of "small plates" and doubled and tripled them with the larger portion sizes. Frankly, the price points have never matched the quality of the food, the presentation and the atmosphere. Yes, you can absolutely get a good meal there, sometimes even a great one. But when the waiter brings a bill for two for $100+ (including a bottle of wine), I want to feel like I have been "somewhere." That the meal has at least been a romantic or uplifting experience. The booth setting and poor lighting are more akin to a diner than a restaurant charging $7-$12 for house salad portions not included with the meal.

However, the Sunday Brunch at the Bistro is a not to be missed affair! It's as if the Bistro is apologizing for all that overpriced fare during the week, and letting you in to sample all the goodies as a make-up! The bar doesn't open til 1PM (state law), so if you are hankering for a Bloody Mary or Mimosa, show up then, there will still be made-to-order omelets, fresh pastries and fruit, and more, more, more.

The waitstaff there is wonderful and the new management is doing a fantastic job. But the original business model needs revisited and unfortunately, Chef Wong isn't here to lead the effort.

1  Thank NjoyNLifeandLove
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I came here with my husband and parents, thinking that a bistro had more options. They sell buffalo burger which was not buffalo burger as my husband is a chef and knows the difference. I ordered salad that was the most pitiful expensive salad I have ever seen. The salad was dirty, it has black dirt under hidden and the waitress said it was blanched... After my husband explained to her, the difference between blanched, grilled and dirty, she removed it from the bill.It was a long wait and my dad, who paid the bill, had to wait because the waitresses were mixing checks and wanted to put the salad again after being take off of the bill!

1  Thank Atlantic_dollar
Aussieserv, General Manager at Bridge Road Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Hello Atlantic Dollar,

I am writing in reference to your review on Trip Advisor...My deepest apologies for your unfortunate experience with us. I so wish that i was made aware of this situation.

We actually thoroughly clean our romaine hearts before they are grilled so i'm a bit confused as to why it appeared dirty. Possibly the grill markings made it appear dirty...but nontheless you were unhappy. As for the Bison, we special order that as well from a local farmer. We are a Farm to Table Restaurant.

I would love to invite you both back again and please ask for me-Sandy Call, General Manager-i guarantee i will make your visit with us perfect.

Apologies again and we hope to see you again in The Bistro...

Been to Bridge Road Bistro? Share your experiences!