“Smelly rooms, felt unclean”

Days Inn Charleston East
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Pros - nice shower
Cons - hallway smelt musty and smokey going to the room, room wasn't much better even though it was non-smoking; bed had a dip in the middle; floor felt damp; the soap looked like it had fallen in the tub and it was left to dry for us; TP ran out and spare roll had watermarks like it fell in the nearby toilet - would have asked for more but clerk was rude when we called for the wireless password, I could hear her eyes roll on the phone; pool was really small and full; Hotel is 4 separate buildings and parking was tight.

We skipped breakfast as we were fearful about cleanliness.

Basically, after 8 nights of camping I was looking forward to a nice hotel to end my vacation. This was not it! We should've found a campground last night and saved our money.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed 29 June 2012

Clean, well maintained room. Comfortable bed. We would stay here again. Hotel backs up to Kanawha River, which makes for some beautiful views. Ask for a room on the back side of the motel.

Room Tip: Away from the truck stop to the west of the motel. With the a/c running, they were not a problem.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We decided on the Days Inn even though there were some less that enthusiastic reviews primarily because of the rates and were pleasanty surprised. The buildings and rooms were clean and well maintained. The front is just a parklng lot but the rear faces the Kanawa River with benches provided for relaxing after a day on the road. It's certainly not a park setting but still more that one would expect for this level of motel. There's a McDonalds, Lone Star Steak, Subway, and Bob Evans within walking distance, although you will have to cross a fairly busy street for all but McDondalds, and a wide choice of chain or local places within two or so miles. We found the breakfast to be more than adequate, no fresh eggs or waffle machines but the waffles or french toast heated in microwave or toaster were very good. As noted in other reviews the neighborhood is commercial but you aren't paying 100+ dollars either and for us it was perfect for a one night stop while taking in a show at the Clay Center (about 10 min. drive) before moving on the next day. The fan in the wall AC unit could be set not to cycle with the compressor so there was a good masking sound for the street traffic.

Room Tip: A rear unit would overlook the river and be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My stay here was more trouble than it was worth. At check in they clerk gave me the wrong key. When I went to the room the key wouldn't work. I returned to the office to get the key rescanned. Upon my return to the room I found that the room was occupied, with someone's belongings in the room. I returned to the office a third time to learn she gave me the wrong room all together. This was a lot of trips up and down the stairs and walking to the detached office since the elevator was out of service. After finally getting the right key my family and I went to our room and found that the refrigerator was turn off. The had to be turned back on and took a while before it even cooled down. Next the fire alarm began to sound, which is still a mystery on why. I think I will pay more and get a nicer hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I must disagree with the other post for this site. It was not what we expected on our arrival. This is no more than a truck stop located behind a local bar with a assortment of patrons.The carpet in halls were dirty, the trim moldings were chipped the elevator was nasty. As for the room it was ok, but not newly remolded the firnishings were dated.The bed and coverings were clean and the room was quiet. There is a outdoor pool located in front of building next to the bar. The breakfast was a true disappointment, I had a coffee and headed to McDonalds for something to eat

Room Tip: Use as a last resort
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Was passing through, it was late so I chose this hotel based on the fact they advertised "recently remodeled".....WOW, I wonder where??? When I checked in I was given a room but the couple that was in the bed wasn't impressed or interested in sharing the room. I went back to the desk and was given the room the other people was supposed to be in. It was really loud, right by the door leading out of the hallway, you could hear everyone coming & going all night. The desk clerk told me he was going to adjust the bill.....yeah by $3.00....hope they could afford it.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor....pass this place up!!! Don't get the rooms by the exit door to the hallway...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Never had much luck with motels in West Virginia, but this one was very good. Clean and neat and the staff was pleasant. Not the easiest place to get ot. Tallest beds we've ever seen, but very comfortable. Lrge bathroom is a big plus.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple