“Where in the world is my Residence?”

Residence Inn Charleston
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Oh where, oh where is my Residence? We were weary travelers driving through Charleston, WV. Our pack of six needed to rest. We are a very picky crew. We only seek the best. When our GPS directed us to a Marriot we were thrilled. We knew that we would have a good nights rest. However, this place is very difficult to find. Perched atop a hill with a very small sign at the end. Barely noticeable. Larger sign please, maybe a little higher off ground, Marriot!
Staff was very friendly. Rooms outstanding with a full modern kitchen, living room with pull out sleeper, fireplace, two bedrooms with two baths. Very comfortable beds! TV in all rooms. What more could a person ask for other than a balcony?
Breakfast in the morning was free and standard. The boys loved the basketball court. The only negative thing I have to say is that the outdoor pool was closed. Either heat it or get an indoor one. This is usually the highlight of our hotel stays!
If we are ever in the Charleston area again this would be the hotel I book.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Melissa G

Reviewed 7 May 2014

With four young kids, it's hard to find a place that will accommodate us in one room so we love Residence Inns. We arrived late and left early so it left little time for us to have any problems.
We usually have terrible experiences with breakfasts at hotels...no tables that can fit six people and sometimes no tables at all because of the crowds. Not a problem here, perhaps because we were up early. The woman who was running the breakfast was very friendly and wanted to give us some local tips but we were jumping on a plane again. She made Charleston sound fun though!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Staying consistently at Marriotts when on the road is interesting because it one begins to see the difference in how one hotel manager handles their responsibilities compared to another and though our stay was satisfactory and as expected for a Marriott, this hotel is little better than average. Gold Elite profile ignored so we had to request a room, floors were sticky in the kitchen area, and even though we do not usually participate in the mgr eve "toast" we were surprised to see empty trays in the early eve and inattention to guests in that area.

Room Tip: Don't miss Pie and Pint and Ellen's Ice Cream downtown right next to the bookstore.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Greg B, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We are always interested in our guests impressions and appreciate being made aware of their experiences. Our best customers and most loyal rewards members are those that give us insight into our business and share their experiences with us.
I am sorry that your kitchen in your room had a sticky floor and that the social was not attended to while you were there.

I want you to know that I have shared your comments with the housekeeping and social hour staff to ensure that we are keeping our cleanliness standards up and that we are out with the guests during our service times.

I am also sorry that you felt your elite rewards memebership level was overlooked. We always want our best customers to feel special. Each morning during huddle we review our elite members that are coming in that day.

Once again thank you for your comments and your loyalty to Marriott, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed night of April 9 for early flight out next morning. Upgraded to two bedroom suite. Very nice and very clean. If early to bed and light sleeper, recommend earplugs as you do hear a few planes. But not enough to be a problem. Three minutes from airport.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sammywv
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Made a stop on the way to Myrtle Beach from Toronto. We were planning to stay at the other Marriott at the Towncentre but had a last minute change of heart. Followed the GPS to a hill just outside of the downtown core. Wife was a little disappointed when she heard the chirping of tree frogs instead of seeing the hustle and bustle of town centre shoppers. That changed when Nalisa greeted us with her wide smile at the front desk. Requested a city view room and was granted the wish. However, when she saw our "large" family, we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite. Yes, three kids is a big family these days!

The hotel is located in a quiet area but all the restaurants and twon centre is a few minutes.

Rooms were spacious and clean. LCD TVs and a fire place is just what the kids needed. The outdoor seasonal pool was closed but my 15 years old had a chance to shoot some hoops on the outdoor court.

Breakfast was good and the buffet was well-maintained. Will recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AKhanCA

Dear AKhanCA ,

Thanks for choosing Residence Inn. I am glad that we helped to make your stay a most comfortable one. I will certainly share your comments with the entire staff and have already shared them with Nalisa. What a great reaction on her part to make sure you were comfortable. I am most proud that she knows that she can make those kinds of decisions and makes them for the comfort of our guests.

Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I've stayed here for 4 nights every month since my dad died in March 2013, (with my 2 scotties) in order to be near my 83-yr old mother who is at a nearby assisted living. It used to be perfect because it's near mom and pet friendly. BUT the evening desk clerk was very rude to me during our last stay and ruined an otherwise ok stay. Her problem: A 6' tall man was bouncing a basketball in the LOBBY (yes, inside at the desk) & one of my scotties jumped for the ball. The desk clerk gave me "Hell" & said my dogs were out of control!!! What about a guy dribbling ball inside at the desk!! We've spent over $6,000 there since 3/2013. But we won't be back due to her public verbal attack on me. There are 10 other pet friendly hotels in Charleston; guess I'll have to stay further from my 83-yr old mom. It used to be a great place & everyone else always made over my scotties but that one person's tongue-lashing at me was unacceptable. We'll find another hotel even if it will be further from my 83-yr old mother. Very discouraging!!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank ScottyK9
Greg B, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. We are always interested in our guests impressions and appreciate being made aware of their experiences.

I am sorry that you felt that you were not treated with the utmost respect while you were with us. I know that you have contacted guest relations regarding this issue. We always want all of our guests to feel respected, comfortable safe and secure, and knowing that you are a long time loyal Marriott customer we know that is why you and others come back again and again.

I want you to know that I have shared your comments and this incident with the entire staff and encouraged them to continue to address any safety concerns but to do it with great compassion for the people involved. I have also shared your positive comments regarding your room and the level of cleanliness.

Realizing that it is never easy to ask a guest to control their child or pet we still need to address these concerns. Had this been the first incident with your pets we would have let it go but we had other guests complaints, including another loyal Marriott guest who stated that his confrontation with your pets was effecting his decision to choose Residence Inn.

We are pet friendly and pet lovers. Not all of our guests are as comfortable around pets as some of us. I am a pet owner. The desk clerk is a pet owner and several other associates are as well. We are our pets’ stewards and owe it to them to not put them in upsetting situations.

When you left you stated that you would see us in a week or two.
We hope despite this incident you will choose to stay with us again.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

In town for graduate school weekend of studies and I arrive on the day of the infamous Chemical Spill on 1/9/14. I had already checked in prior to the DO NOT USE alert but the hotel ended up shutting down around 6pm - I was expecting them to at least let me know what was happening on their end, even though the issue was all over the news. Up to that point, service was great, room was clean, amenities updated, and I was very pleased overall with the property, even with their location being off the beaten path. I asked for a room away from the elevator, ended up getting a room 2 doors down from the elevator. Never heard the elevator but my neighbors were extremely loud - can't really help that too much. But for future reference in an emergency such as a chemical spill where no one can use the water for anything (!), I thought it would have been helpful to at least come see about me - offer options on where to go to get bottled water, explain their decision to shut the hotel down, etc. I know for a fact they contacted one of my co-horts who had not checked in yet, and offered to find them accomodations elsewhere. But, I was left to fend for myself - could have been because they already had my money for the night...not sure. The spill was not their fault - they just could have made it a better experience had they thought of their guests who were left to fend on their own.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevators are always a good choice
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank barbekirk
Greg B, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We are always interested in our guests impressions and appreciate being made aware of their experiences. At times of unusual circumstances we always want to perform in a manner that comforts and builds trust with our guests.

During this occassion a water main break in the city of Charleston was discovered around the same time as the contamination was announced. A decision was made the next day, after we had gotten water back that we would still close the hotel as we could not provide potable water to our guests. We posted signs the next day as soon as we knew, and many guests came and called for assistance which we happily gave. We had many guests that required no assistance and sought alternate accomodations on their own.

During a guests stay or even during events like this we try to anticipate our guests needs but also rely on our guests to let us know what they need to help get them through, be comfortable and have a great stay.

For guests that have not arrived we wanted to make sure that they had made alternate arrangements beore they arrived, which many of them did, or that we were able to help them make sure they had a place to stay when they got to town.

Just so you know, other hotels in the area stayed open through this event and the two Marriott hotels chose to protect their guests despite the loss of revenue.

Thank you for recognizing that your room and service were great. We take your comments very seriously and will share all of them with the entire staff.

Once again thank you for choosing Marriott. We look forward to serving you again soon.