“nice facilities and good location, staff half-and-half”

Hampton Inn Charleston - Downtown
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Ohio City, Ohio
“nice facilities and good location, staff half-and-half”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stopped in at this downtown Charleston, WV, location on the way to the southern U.S. for a one-night stay. As a diamond-level Hilton brand member, I have stayed at Hampton Inn's all over the country. This hotel is close to all of the major highways, so it is a very good loction for people passing through town.

My room was clean, amply large, and equipped with a fridge and microwave, both of which are very helpful while traveling. The hotel has a small workout room and swimming pool, which are also nice when one is travelig. The front desk staff were helpful.

However, when I left my room to go downstairs for the (free) breakfast, the cleaning staff made me feel uncomfortable by nudging me to checkout from my room earlier. It was 10 AM and checkout time is noon, so I felt this behavior inappopriate. I called the front desk staff to ask for a late checkout at 12:30 PM and made sure to insist that the front desk inform the cleaning staff.

Room Tip: This is a busy hotel during the week, so getting a room on an upper floor will make life less noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Ddan7777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here in April/May for business. As always, the staff are very accommodating. I had one issue while I was staying there. I left some magazines on my bed before heading out for the day. When I came back to my room expecting my bed to be made, I instead found a note that said "Too many personal belongings on the bed. Couldn't make. Enjoy your stay." I've never stayed at a hotel not make my bed regardless of whatever was on the bed. I called the front desk and told them I didn't want the girl to get in trouble but that I just wanted them to be aware. They were very receptive to my call and promptly came up and made my bed for me; which I greatly appreciated after a long and stressful day of working away from home. Other than this minor mistake, which was quickly and efficiently resolved, I always have the best stays at Hampton Inn!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking lot and if at all possible on the end of the hotel furthest away f...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Mt. Carmel Tennessee
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on three different nights within a ten day period. Our first night was perfect and went off without a hitch, they even let us check in a couple hours early. The third night was also great. The second night was a disaster! We booked online as usual and when we checked in it never occurred to us to make sure we were getting the room we actually booked. After the front desk clerk checked us in with only a moderate amount of politeness We found our room on the dingy fourth floor and to our dismay instead of finding the king bed we reserved we found a teeny tiny full size. And it only got worse from there. There were hairs in the shower and on the bathroom floor. When I turned on my bedside light the bulb popped and so we thought it blew and called the front desk, by this time there was a shift change and though the man seemed upset at first he came up promptly and politely fixed the lamp. Unfortunately we had to call this poor man back up after discovering that the bedsheets would not stay on the bed (at first we thought it was too small but after changing it ourselves,which we were happy to do, we are a bit worried that it was just used). While he did bring up the sheet promptly he only brought up the bottom sheet and so that's the only fresh sheet we had. My husband and I are quiet people and would never submit complaints but the sheets and dirty handprint on the top of the shower wall were too much for me. I had hoped that when we checked out we would have an opportunity to let them know about the room but we handed in our keys and the young lady dismissed us with a thank you and went back to the computer without ever asking if everything was okay. I suppose I should also mention that the drink machine on the fifth floor (the fourth was out of water) dispenses HOT drinks. Our other two stays were on the second floor and the level of cleanliness was incredibly better than the fourth floor. I would advise to bring your own clorox wipes as we did have to clean up some coffee off the desk but those little things don't bother us.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Bolingbrook, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Overall this is a nice hotel. Although our room was claimed to be non-smoking, there was certainly an odor that made me believe the contrary. The breakfast was adequate, but if you're looking for a place to sit and eat, it wasn't available.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Reno, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel is average, the staff is excellent, and the downtown entertainment is out of this world. Who would have thought that Charleston would have river front entertainment. While I was there on business, the front desk staff shared the river front entertainement. I saw Mother Nature and a lead singer who sounded alot like Stevie Nicks. The free concert was out of the world! I will not stay at this hotel for pleasure but will go back to Charleston just for the entertainment. Thank you Hampton for asking my opinion!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Joe C
Dickson, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My stay was very pleasant and the staff were very helpful and courteous. The location of the hotel allowed easy access to where I needed to go. The breakfast was healthy and provided many choices. The hotel also present many perks, i.e. fitness room and pool that make for a nice stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Charleston, WV and would love to stay there again when I go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Old Lyme, CT
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed one night while we were on the road. It's adjacent to the highway so road noise might be an issue w/ rooms on that side, we stayed on the opposite side from the highway and didn't have any problems. The A/C unit was quiet too. The shuttle driver will take you wherever you need to go. Took us to the Kroeger in the evening and waited for us (said he doesn't like to leave people there after dark, as it's a "bad" part of town) Good free b'fast as with all Hampton Inns.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family