“Don't stay here unless you enjoy parking in dark alleys.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charleston South
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Don't stay here unless you enjoy parking in dark alleys.”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

So maybe the headline was a little exaggerated but showing up to your hotel at midnight only to find there are NO parking spots is unacceptable. On top if that, the staff clearly knew this as the lot was filled with 8 huge electrical trucks.

Our only choice was to park in a handicap spot or a dark alley around the side of the building. No apologies from the staff, no discount, just a 'oops sorry for the inconvenience but you are out of luck'.

Obviously you can't hold this against the entire chain of hotels but at the very least an advance warning that parking would be tough to find was warranted.

The service at this hotel needs some additional training in customer service. Until that happens, stay away.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Brian S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed for three nights at this hotel - two nights too long! When we arrived the room was only set up for one guest, not a couple, and the reception staff were not apologetic about this. The beds were not made up properly on any day (this was brought to the attention of the manager who was appalled), the pillows were really poor and offered no support at all. The breakfast food was mediocre at best. We are seasoned world travelers and expect more value than we received at this hotel.We would strongly recommend against staying here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 186470Jan
oakville, on
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We needed pet-friendly room om the way back from vocation and ended up booking a room in Country Inn. Normally we stay in Marriott or Hampton. Not-smoking room stank of years of smocking; floor was covered with animal fur, and the most disguising - comforter had lots of hairs on it, and had large wet spot in the middle. In the bathroom we found what looked like recycled towels. The manager kept to apologize to everybody, it looked like their only solution to all problems. The breakfast was ok, but the area is overcrowded and food ends pretty soon. Would be ok for $50, not $130

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AnnaOakville_On
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Had to stay here on a business trip in the area. Located right next to the highway, so it was noisy at night. I stay at Country Inn & Suites regularly, and this is one of the poor examples. It wasn't dirty, but it wasn't clean either - and it wasn't totally uncomfortable, but it wasn't great. Overall it was "blah". I survived, but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jtgraddy
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I stayed here five days during a softball tournment. The frOnt desk lady was very helpful accept when we got out if the pool there was no yield and I took her over 20 minutes to get us towls. Breakfast wasn't the greatest but over all I give it a B.

• Stayed July 2011
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 4 July 2011

The front desk lady was very helpful at check in and explained were everything was and the best places to eat. Pool and hot tub was warm and clean. The room, in front of building was updated and very clean. Breakfast was o.k. . Overall a pleasurable stay, will return again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hogaholic29
Englewood, Ohio
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Caught in traffic and still several hours from home, I chose to just get a good night's sleep. So I opted to stay at a "suite" hotel and expected to pay a premium price, but also get a better value for the money. All that was available, or being offered was a king bed, 2 room suite. I threw my bag in the room and went for a nice dinner. I came back late and upon using the bathroom for the first time, found dirty towels still piled up and an overflowing trash can. The rest of the room appeared to have been cleaned and just the bathroom was missed. It was late and extra towels were available, so I just crashed. New soap was available but I ended up using my own shampoo, since none was provided. The breakfast area is very small and was overwhelmed by a tour bus the next morning. At checkout, I mentioned the unclean bathroom and although the room number was noted, I only received a quick apology. Not sure what I expected, maybe a discount on the current stay, or a discount on a future stay. But something more than just an "I'm sorry". If I need an overnight stay in that area again, I will either push onto the next city, or at least choose a different hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo