“middle of the road”

Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
New Bern, North Carolina
“middle of the road”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stay at this hotel every year around this time. The people are pleasant and did give us a room where we asked. The hotel has been upgraded with larger tv, nice bed, etc. The picture on the TV was pure snow however and the traffic noise from the overhead highway rumbled all night.I would recommend a room mid hotel. We usually get a room near the end so we can move the car contents easily into the room on a cart...but the side door would not allow entry due to a low battery? breakfast was fine.

Room Tip: stay mid hotel in the front
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel last weekend and they accused us of having a dog in the room???? They then charged us an additonal $400 on our card! When we called management they said they could not do anything and the General Manager hung up on me. We had to file a police report for charging our credit card!!! Stay away from these criminals No wonder they are in a law suit for killing a guest and injuring over 10 others because of not installing CO2 detectors. The City should shut this Hotel down!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Steve Z

Travellers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Midland, Michigan
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed here on our trip from Michigan to Charlotte, NC. Of the two HIE's we stayed at, this was the better one. Still, it is in need of some updating. The room was comfortable, however, and quiet. Internet worked well. We had no problem with parking. There is are several restaurants nearby including a decent Mexican eatery. The breakfast was fine, but my wife and I couldn't eat the pancakes that were made by a machine. They were rubbery and tasteless.

I give a lower grade to this hotel for value since at over $130, you expect more than mediocre.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FlipKal
Vienna, Ohio
Reviewed 16 October 2012

i try to stay at these locations whenever we can. it was hard to find this motel because the sign was hooked to a holiday inn. the room was pretty clean. we had a room secluded at the top of the stairs. but the breakfast was outstanding.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Stayed here for 1 night while in South Charleston for business. Was rather surprised by the condition of the property, old and run down. However, they were in the middle of renovations -- which caused the entire hotel to smell like paint fumes and oil/grease from the elevator shafts that they were working to repair. They offer breakfast in the morning -- its not bad but could use some tweaking. The eggs and potatoes were extremely salty, to the point that I aborted eating and went to cereal and toast. The staff was friendly and the room was average. The bed provided a decent nights sleep but that's about it. I am not sure I would stay here again. There are other options just a short drive away in downtown Charleston that I will probably consider.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Courtney R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
This is not the Holiday Inn Express Charleston South. The property you are referring to is the Holiday Inn Express Civic Center located in downtown Charleston. We are located at exit 95 I64 approximately 10 minutes from downtown. Thanks.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We checked in at nine pm on Sun. Sept. 30, 2012. The air conditioner was on in the room and set to 56 degrees. When I woke up the next morning and turned on the light a cockroach ran across the floor. I captured it in a cup and took it to the front desk. The woman at the desk was friendly and said she would leave a note for her manager. He was not due in for two more hours. When we checked out a different woman at the desk gave us a discount of nine dollars. She acted like this was not unusual. I called Holiday Inn Corporate Headquarters and they offered to send me 11 more dollars. I told them to keep it, I just thought they should take care of the bug problem. I guess freezing them out is not working. I hope they will take the 11 dollars and hire an exterminator .

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank PegB900
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Peg B,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Asheboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 August 2012

On Aug 9th my 20yr old son was traveling from Canada back home to NC. He had car trouble & had to spend the night in Charleston. The only problem was that nobody would rent him a room because he was not yet 21 even though he was 7 days shy of his birthday. It was 2am. He had been traveling since 9am the day before. Despite explaining his situation & offering to have me, his mother, call they still refused. I called Holiday Inn & spoke w/a VERY nice man named Mark or Marcus (sorry, I was upset & don't remember exactly) and explained what was going on and he said under the circumstances he would be happy to rent him a room. I almost cried. So thank you Holiday Inn for taking in my son when nobody else would. You deserve 5 stars in book!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo