“Not a good place to stay for business workers!”

Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Staunton, Virginia
“Not a good place to stay for business workers!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We wanted to stay at this Holiday Inn based on our past good Holiday Inn experiences. What a disappointment!!! After confirming that I was eligible for a substantial discount on the room as a corporate employee, I tried to go onto the HIE employee web site to book my reservation. Guess what! The IHG web side was down and requested that I call the IHG reservation line. After calling 4 times and giving my Rewards Club number 3-4 times EACH TIME to an endless loop recording, I gave up as I needed to get into my room for a video conference session. Imagine my surprise when I found that their "high speed internet" barely supported e-mails. The girl at the front desk desk said that "it happens a lot" and suggested that I try the lobby guest computer. Really!?!?!? A conference call in the lobby by the reservation desk??? I had to go to my cell phone to conference in at least the voice portion of the meeting. Not a good experience! On the bright side, the beds were comfortable and the breakfast lady was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear RickL1509,

Thank you for writing a candid review on your recent stay. We are very pleased to read that you found the beds comfortable and the staff helpful. On the other hand, it seems that our amenities, in particular the internet connection was a let down. Please accept our apologies for the shortcomings you have experienced. As for the corporate discount, your concerns have been forwarded to the respective departments and I am confident that appropriate action will be made to ensure this does not reoccur.

Your feedback is very important to us as this helps us gauge what we are doing right, and what we can improve on. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. We hope you would consider staying with us again when you can enjoy the hotel amenities.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Holiday Inn Express is a favorite road travel brand of mine but this hotel was a major disappointment from poor customer service to way too few parking spaces to way overpriced for a minimally clean room that sits right next to the interstate.
When I arrived the the hotel staff at the registration desk couldn't even acknowledge me standing there let alone greet me like they understand that I have a choice of where to stay and spend my travel dollar. Add to that the housekeeping staff having a loud argument in the hallway outside my room before 9:00 in the morning and I think they need an intensive customer service course.
The small parking lot is way to small for a hotel of this size and it is shared with another hotel meaning there were not enough places to park either night I stayed and no alternative, lighted places to park. I felt unsafe in the situation.
Sits only yards from the interstate with blackout curtains that do not block out the interstate lights and the noise is pretty constant.
This hotel looks and acts like a $69 a night hotel not a $129 a night hotel. Convenient location for my business travel but I will not be staying here again. Definitely not my usual experience at a Holiday Inn Express.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank K L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear K L,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am glad to hear that our location worked for your needs. I understand your stay is not 100% satisfactory. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the noise challenges has caused you. We are also disappointed to know that you found the level of service you received less than satisfactory. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay.

Once again, thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Shelby Township, Michigan
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel location is a bit odd to find unless you have a GPS, and the rest of Charleston is like that as well.

The staff was friendly and helpful, and my room was very clean.

Breakfast has improved unilaterally at all Holiday Inn Express, and this HIX has followed suit.

I will continue to use HIX on business travel as this is a good example of the consistency that I can expect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Patrice L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear mk48066,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express-Charleston/Kanawha City. I am happy to hear that you are enjoying our new healther sections at the Holiday Inn Express Brand. We continue to look for ways to improve and we value our customers opinions.

We strive for excellance and glad we met your service and accomodation expectations. I will pass along to the team your comments. You are correct, it can be tricky to find us when your come off the exit and we are happy your GPS was able to get you here with little trouble.

We hope to see you again if your travels brings you to the area.
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had 2 very pleasant nights here. Reasonable price, very clean rooms. Needed 2 doubles for the second night, and Patty the dayturn manager was very helpful and got us a room directly across the hall that was already cleaned and ready, making the transfer almost painless. Thanks! I'm a light sleeper and I was not too bothered by the road noise of I-77. The breakfast was nice, staff kind and pleasant. One of the best rooms we've ever had in Charleston; we've visited several times a year for the last 4 years. I only wish we had stayed here before. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: King beds are on McCorkle Ave. side, Doubles are on the I-77 side.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Janice C
Patrice L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Janice C,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Express-Charleston/Kanawha City. Thank you for the nice review. We have shared your comments with Patty and the rest of the team. We take pride in providing excellent service and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip through Charleston. Warm Regards, Patrice Lutz General Manager
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

If driving east-bound, just watch out for the very sharp exit off the Interstate. We were towing a heavy auto transport trailer, so it was unexpected and a little intense.

The building was formerly a lesser brand than Holiday Inn Express and some of the features (or lack of) are evident such as the single very slow elevator.

Our assigned room faced the Interstate, so could have been quieter, but we were tired enough to not notice and slept soundly. The room was clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was the basis fare for this class of motel; pretty good, but not anything special; besides most patrons are too blurry-eyed to notice in the early morning.

HI-Express shares a parking lot with an adjacent motel. When we pulled in at 8:30 PM and parked the truck and trailer in what we thought to be out of everyone’s way and easy to maneuver out the next morning turned out to be a different story. Our truck and trailer was surrounded by vehicles and we had to wait for several vehicles to depart so that we’d have enough room to make the necessary turns to drive out of the parking lot. And I thought we arrived late… Fortunately the drive to our final destination was far less than our previous legs of the trips and time was not as important.

Room Tip: Parking lot vs. Interstate side of the building, obvious reasons.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank WA2world
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear WA2world,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the parking arrangement. We will look into this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Terre Haute, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stopped in without reservations and the parking lot was full of vehicles. I felt we had no chance for a room but did actually get a very nice room. We were on ground floor, and the room couldn't have been better. It was clean, large and very accommodating. There was a satisfying continental breakfast and the staff was pleasant. We were driving a 26' U-Haul and they had no problem with us parking it in there lot. There was an area for large trucks to park. Not many, but a few.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 29 September 2013

After a longer then necessary trip and all kind of bad luck. Mia at the Holiday Inn Express in Charleston WV went above and beyond to do what she could to get me checked in. Everything that could go wrong has went wrong today including my phone dying In the process. She not only went above and beyond to take care of my check in issues but also let me use her personal charger to charge my dead phone. Mia made my day a lot better. Thank you for everything and going above and beyond.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business