On our way to HHI from Ohio, we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Columbia, South Carolina. This location was beautiful for a HIE - see my other review from last week. I spent around $110 with tax for that hotel.
At this location, I spent nearly $130. This located is clearly a converted hotel. Other reviews speak to it formerly being a Comfort Inn, which looks/sounds about right. The room layout was a bit odd - the sink was outside of the shower/toilet area. Though, that's typical for hotels like a Red Roof, etc. So, it's not like it doesn't happen; I just wouldn't have expected it at a Holiday Inn Express. Was it a major issue? No.
The room was clean and updated in the last few years, is my guess. We did have a room against the highway. You could hear the noise, but only barely as we had the HVAC going. It didn't bother us, overall. It was a nice touch to have a fridge and microwave in the room. The kids used the pool/hottub and both worked and were clean. Bfast was good enough - the eggs were clearly some sort of "substitute." The wifi was slow - I tested it a few times and never got more than 1mbps down. That's barely good enough for email with any sort of attachment.
Overall, I found it to be a clean and safe hotel. I believe it's overpriced at $135 and even what i paid for it through Hotwire. It's a $79/night hotel before tax.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City. Located only minutes from the majestic West Virginia State Capitol, Yeager Airport, beautiful downtown Charleston and the historical East End district. Other points of interest are the Clay Center for the Performing Arts, the University of Charleston and Appalachian Power Stadium home of the West Virginia Power. As our guest of the Holiday Inn Express, you will stay in one of our totally renovated, spacious king, queen or executive suite room with high speed Internet, your choice of plush pillows and great nights sleep mattresses. Also enjoy our complimentary hot breakfast buffet with the worlds best cinnamon rolls. Fresh brewed coffee is available every evening. After a busy day of work or travel, you can energize yourself in our fitness center. Then, cool down in the heated, indoor pool and hot tub. Enjoy the many food options near the hotel that include everything from fast food to steak houses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Charleston/Kanawha City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Charleston South Hotel Charleston
- Comfort Suites Charleston
- Charleston Comfort Suites