“It was ok”

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
OHIO
“It was ok”
Reviewed 18 October 2008

Room and property were clean but the area was a little shady. We were approached in the parking lot by a scarey looking man asking for money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Strange man
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ohio
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Two words: Stay away.

My son and I were whipped and thought we could find a place in Charleston to rest and crash for the night. Unfortunately, a big convention was in town, and the Motel 6 had three rooms left --- so I grabbed one.

I travel a lot, and this hotel was the worst I've ever stayed at, by far. The carpets were so stained I told my son not to take his shoes off. While the sink and toilet were clean, the bathtub looked as if someone from Dirty Jobs had just used it. The room smelled like an old sock. BUT, the beds appeared clean, and we were so tired we slept with our clothes and shoes on, on top of the blankets. We arrived at the hotel at 1 a.m., fell asleep in about 30 minutes, and were out by 8 am that morning ... not because we wanted to, but because the place was so vile that we had to leave.

Do yourself a favor: If this is the only hotel with a room, keep driving, if you can. The next big town is a hour south.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Smell, dirty tub, stained, disgusting carpet
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Ohioray

Travellers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Ann Arbor MI
Reviewed 13 June 2008

We were traveling home from a beach vacation and needed a place for the night. This was right off the highway and was the first hotel that we went to that had a room. We got up there and should have turned right around as soon as we turned on the light. First ... the smell.... HORRIBLE. A non smoking room that smelled like a dirty ashtray. Ironically there was even an ashtray in there... but had a no smoking sign on it. The first thing I did was pull back the sheets and look at the mattress. Only to find a couple of dead bed bugs. While waiting for my husband to find a room at the Country Inn next door (which by the way... is where we stayed that night) I took a look at the rest of the room. The bathtub floor was black with dirt and filth and there wasn't a bar of soap to be found. And come to think of it I'm not even sure there were towels. Just thinking back to the 10 minutes I spent in this room makes me itch. On top of the nasty, filthy bug infested room.... there were some pretty unsavory characters hanging around this place. Unless you prefer filth and the occasional shady character I strongly recommend you stay away. Honestly the president of this hotel chain should have to stay the night in this dump.

• Liked — The hotel next door
  • Disliked — The bed bugs!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Betcie
innovadude
Reviewed 12 June 2008

People are quick to give bad reviews to Motel 6's, but I've stayed at nearly 50+ of them in the past few years, and never had a major problem with any of them. This one has a huge 2-bed room, was clean, tv worked great, good parking situation, did have soap..
for 40$ vs. 60$ for across the street, you can't go wrong. Any hotel could have a smoke-filled non smoking room like in a previous review, it happens when some fool doesn't follow the rules. I am very sensitive to smoke and my non-smoking room was smoke free.

Stayed June 2008
West Virginia
Reviewed 24 September 2007

My non-smoking room (I'm even a smoker, but not indoors) smelled like a dirty ashtray. I am allergic to molds and dust mites--had to go to an important meeting with puffy eyes and respiratory distress. There wasn't even a mini bar of soap to be found in the bathroom. It's a good thing that I travel equipped!
Some of the other guests that I saw looked like pretty unsavory characters.

It was a dump, but you get what you pay for!

Stayed May 2007
Grosse Pointe Park, MI
Reviewed 17 June 2007

Terrible motel and room. The beds were hard and the room was shabby. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family