“Not a good place to stay if traffic noise keeps you up”

Motel 6 Charleston East
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My daughter reccommended this motel as she frequents it about 4 times a year. Here are my impressions
Pros, inexpensive, dog friendly, clean, and friendly employees,

Cons, very, very, very noisy with both traffic noises from the interstate and a train. No coffee pot in room but they do have free coffee in the am in the lobby. No way to heat water for hot tea but there is also a microwave in the lobby. Nothing to heat the water in, as styrofoam melts.. Finally somone in the office found a plastic cup that I used to heat water. Bed was not that comfortable, and I am happy I brought ,my own pillows. Forget shampoo or conditioner, or anything but a small handsoap in the bathroom, so be prepared to carry your own. Non smoking room had an ashtray in it, and the room had a faint odor of smoke.

It was doable for a night, we were on the third floor and there was an elevator. I will not stay there again because of the traffic noise but if you can sleep through noise, this is an inexpensive clean place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask fir a room away from the expressway.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Peanutz53

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for a week. The tub was very slick Phone in room did not work. I had a reservation, but when I got there they did not have it. Had confirmation number and all. I had a severe head injury from fall in the shower and had to get a CT of my head, which is expensive. They offered me free wifi for three days as compensation. This is a dangerous dump.I know of another person who fell in their tub also.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Suzy S
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We pulled in off the road without checking. Big mistake. Non smoking room had blankets on the beds full of cigarette holes. Not the cleanest. Very questionable patrons. Signs up everywhere not to leave valuables in vehicles. Had we not been so road weary and looked around a bit more - we would have stayed elsewhere for sure. In the morning, we left early, but the parking lot was covered in pizza and bottles. Yes, pizza, entire pizzas dumped in the lot. No effort of staff to remove the trash. Definitely cannot recommend this one.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Playswdogs
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My family and I was traveling and we just needed a place to stay for the night so we decided on the Motel 6. I wish I would have researched it more, because this place was the wrong place to stay. The room was not the cleanest, it was suppose to be non-smoking but reaked of smoke, with burn marks and hair on the bed. If it wouldn't have been so late we would have went somewhere else. None of us could sleep that well. There were strange noises all throughout the night and our room was just a few feet away from a busy highway. It would have been a lovely place to stay with the new updates, I loved the orange color, but they obviously have not kept the place up.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Mamabear1218
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Although this hotel was right off the highway and surrounded by restaurants, gas stations, and other ammenities, it is awful. Dirty, no carpet, loud A/C (if it works), no wi-fi, no mini-frig. We stayed the following night in a Motel 6 in Kansas, and for the same price, had a clean room, with 2 beds, carpet, good A/C, free wi-fi and a frig...two totally different experience for the same $56.00. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank FoodieDDB
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We stopped here because we had been driving for 5 hours and needed rest. When we pulled in at 2am, it was so dark and just had a creepy vibe but we Were tired and needed a bed to sleep in. There were 2 women near the end of the building that I can only assume Were prostitutes. My husband went in to pay for the room and said there was a bullet proof window between him and the employee which is scary. We had to carry our children and pretty much run to our room because of how unsafe we felt being outside there. The room was supposed to be non smoking but it clearly wasn't!! It was disgusting!! I am pregnant and we have 2 children and it was just unacceptable. The bed linens were not the cleanest either. There were shady people hanging around outside which didn't help with the feeling unsafe. Had we not been so tired, we would of gotten our money back and drove far away from that place. Luckily we only stayed for a couple hours and got out of there. I'd never recommend this place to another person and I'd certainly never go back. Stay away!!

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Jhogan523
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Charleston East, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Jhogan523,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.We sincerely apologize for the cleanliness and safety issues you encountered during your recent stay. These conditions are note consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. We encourage your contact our guest relations department to report your experience so may serve you better in the future: 1-800-557-3435.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed here because it was pet friendly and there wasn't rooms available at any other near hotel. It's not cheap considering how bad it is. Since you get to the parking lot it has a bad vibe, looks gloomy, dark and unsafe. Most of the nearby restaurants close at 9 pm. There is not front desk, you are checked in through a window. There is just one employee for the whole hotel during night hours, no maintenance, housekeeping, etc. There were empty beer cans everywhere, and some shaddy "customers" were smoking and drinking beer outside. The supposely non-smoking room smell like cigarrettes and there was an empty ash tray in the room. There were safety precautions recordatories everywhere, in flayers, in the room key holder, behind the door etc. The bed covers were dirty, and burned. The sheets looks clean but had holes. The pillow cover was stained with what looks like black make up. Towels were not enough for more than one person and were stained. The big old tv is screwed to the table so you can not move it... Which tells about the kind of people who stay there. Overall a terrible experience that thankfully lasted less than 7 hrs.

Room Tip: Stay away from here if you can
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Sam G
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Charleston East, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Sam G - Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We sincerely apologize for the unwelcoming environment you encountered upon arrival and for your unpleasant stay with us. The odor, cleanliness and bedding and towel conditions you found in your room are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.