“Very disappointed!”

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Kanawha City, West Virginia, United States
“Very disappointed!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed at Motel 6 for 5 consecutive days. On the fifth day, I went to the front desk to get my key remagnetized, which we had done every day during our stay. When I asked the clerk to recharge my key, she refused to do so because the room was registered to my husband and not me. I had to call him back to the room from work just to let me in our room! Our puppy was in the room and they wouldn't even let me in to get her!! There were two clerks on duty and one had actually fixed my key for me 2 days prior but refused to do it today. So when my hubby finally showed, we decided to leave and get a refund since we were booked to stay another night and had already paid. When we went to get the refund, my husband stayed behind and I went back to the room to pack our things and the clerk actually left her desk, followed me to the room and told me to "make sure we checked out because they didnt want people like us at their hotel!" I fully understand her point about verification for the room for security reasons, but we had been there a week, I knew all the info for the room, and wanted my dog, but was refused like I was trash. I will NEVER EVER stay there again and I advise other travelers to avoid it as well. The rooms are mediocre with no amenities no shampoo or any of the little touches you expect at a hotel, the staff was very friendly other than the two on duty today.but that was enough for us. Also, the room was always damp. The floor and sheets always felt slightly wet for no apparent reason and it wasn't just our room. We spoke to other guests who had the same issue. The wifi was $4.99 per day and it was extremely slow. The rooms are also next to the interstate so your hear traffic literally all night. We were very disappointed with our stay.

Room Tip: choose one anywhere but here!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CootieBoo C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My daughter reccommended this motel as she frequents it about 4 times a year. Here are my impressions
Pros, inexpensive, dog friendly, clean, and friendly employees,

Cons, very, very, very noisy with both traffic noises from the interstate and a train. No coffee pot in room but they do have free coffee in the am in the lobby. No way to heat water for hot tea but there is also a microwave in the lobby. Nothing to heat the water in, as styrofoam melts.. Finally somone in the office found a plastic cup that I used to heat water. Bed was not that comfortable, and I am happy I brought ,my own pillows. Forget shampoo or conditioner, or anything but a small handsoap in the bathroom, so be prepared to carry your own. Non smoking room had an ashtray in it, and the room had a faint odor of smoke.

It was doable for a night, we were on the third floor and there was an elevator. I will not stay there again because of the traffic noise but if you can sleep through noise, this is an inexpensive clean place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask fir a room away from the expressway.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Peanutz53

Travellers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for a week. The tub was very slick Phone in room did not work. I had a reservation, but when I got there they did not have it. Had confirmation number and all. I had a severe head injury from fall in the shower and had to get a CT of my head, which is expensive. They offered me free wifi for three days as compensation. This is a dangerous dump.I know of another person who fell in their tub also.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Suzy S
PA
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We pulled in off the road without checking. Big mistake. Non smoking room had blankets on the beds full of cigarette holes. Not the cleanest. Very questionable patrons. Signs up everywhere not to leave valuables in vehicles. Had we not been so road weary and looked around a bit more - we would have stayed elsewhere for sure. In the morning, we left early, but the parking lot was covered in pizza and bottles. Yes, pizza, entire pizzas dumped in the lot. No effort of staff to remove the trash. Definitely cannot recommend this one.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Playswdogs
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My family and I was traveling and we just needed a place to stay for the night so we decided on the Motel 6. I wish I would have researched it more, because this place was the wrong place to stay. The room was not the cleanest, it was suppose to be non-smoking but reaked of smoke, with burn marks and hair on the bed. If it wouldn't have been so late we would have went somewhere else. None of us could sleep that well. There were strange noises all throughout the night and our room was just a few feet away from a busy highway. It would have been a lovely place to stay with the new updates, I loved the orange color, but they obviously have not kept the place up.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Mamabear1218
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Although this hotel was right off the highway and surrounded by restaurants, gas stations, and other ammenities, it is awful. Dirty, no carpet, loud A/C (if it works), no wi-fi, no mini-frig. We stayed the following night in a Motel 6 in Kansas, and for the same price, had a clean room, with 2 beds, carpet, good A/C, free wi-fi and a frig...two totally different experience for the same $56.00. Don't stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank FoodieDDB
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We stopped here because we had been driving for 5 hours and needed rest. When we pulled in at 2am, it was so dark and just had a creepy vibe but we Were tired and needed a bed to sleep in. There were 2 women near the end of the building that I can only assume Were prostitutes. My husband went in to pay for the room and said there was a bullet proof window between him and the employee which is scary. We had to carry our children and pretty much run to our room because of how unsafe we felt being outside there. The room was supposed to be non smoking but it clearly wasn't!! It was disgusting!! I am pregnant and we have 2 children and it was just unacceptable. The bed linens were not the cleanest either. There were shady people hanging around outside which didn't help with the feeling unsafe. Had we not been so tired, we would of gotten our money back and drove far away from that place. Luckily we only stayed for a couple hours and got out of there. I'd never recommend this place to another person and I'd certainly never go back. Stay away!!

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Jhogan523
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Charleston East, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Jhogan523,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.We sincerely apologize for the cleanliness and safety issues you encountered during your recent stay. These conditions are note consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. We encourage your contact our guest relations department to report your experience so may serve you better in the future: 1-800-557-3435.