“Old, needs work but decent & good value for the money”

Motel 6 Charleston East
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Clayton, North Carolina
“Old, needs work but decent & good value for the money”
Reviewed 24 July 2010

We stayed on a Sunday night just passing thru, 2 Adults, 2 Kids.
It was the halfway point of our return trip home. I had found them online a week earlier but waited & called when 2 hours away. Great Price was the same as advertised. Plenty of empty rooms when I called but was filling up fast as we arrived. Must be very popular. I noticed other families, couples & singles arriving including 1 lady asking to stay a second night.

Staff was friendly on phone & in person. Great location right off hwy & close to several eateries. Room was quiet even though near road & train tracks. We stayed in a non-smoking ground floor room on front of buidling. It was also clean with good a/c, curtains that closed all the way, microwave, dorm size fridge & plenty of hot water. We all had a good nights sleep.

Free morning coffee in office but no breakfast which didn't matter to us since the hotel we'd stayed at a week earlier had free breakfast & we didn't eat it as it was only cereal & muffins. We prefer make your own waffles at hotels.

Negatives:
Hotel is old & a bit run down. Shower surround was cracked in 1 place, tub looked to have been repainted but paint had peeled off & sink was cracked. There is cable but tv is small. No pool but that didn't matter as we checked in late & out early only wanting a clean, safe, low priced place to sleep for one night. You get what you pay for & everything was pretty much what I'd expected. No real complaints.
Not a bad place & a good deal for the money.
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 4 July 2010

As a Comedian, I travel and stay at a variety of hotels and motels. This by far was the worst I have ever been in. I spent my night swatting bugs. Crawling ones in the bed and flying ones too. The matress has long since out lived its usefulness and burn marks in quilt and rug everywhere. Build up of soap and scum, in the tub as well as on the floors. No shampoo and 1 wash cloth. The trash outside had set there way too long and was smelling ripe. All for $40.00. I suggest sleeping in your car at Wal-mart first.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Hambleton, West Virginia
Reviewed 24 May 2010

First impressions say alot. when we arrived at out room, the front door was rotted at the bottom and all around the edges. We booked a nonsmoking room...when we entered the smell about made us sick. The lighting was horrible. The bathroom was covered in mold and mildew. Beds were extremely uncomfortable. No pictures on the wall. Was not impressed with anything. We have stayed at motel 6 before, but will never stay at another one after this experience.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 September 2009

You know, the staff were great - better than many $100/night places I've stayed, but the room was dingy, the shower curtain was 10 inches too short and water leaked everywhere, there were weird smeary caulking stains in the bathtub and the shower nozzle was broken so we couldn't figure out where to find the happy medium between stinkin' hot and freakin' cold. We had googled hotels that accepted dogs, as we were traveling with our two medium sized dogs, so we didn't actually see the place beforehand - we were just traveling through. There indeed was no hassle about the dogs, but I'd pay extra money to have someplace clean. If we'd had our toddler son with us, I wouldn't have felt comfortable letting him crawl on the rugs - they were just old and dirty and smelled a bit funky. So did the comforter when I snuggled in that night - it smelled like some lady's perfume...yuck. It's worth the extra money for us next time to stop at a more upper class place, where the room has all functioning parts, is spotless and even maybe has a coffeemaker, or offers a continental breakfast. It's just sad to me that $50 can't even get us a decent room anymore. SO - great staff, no hassle pet policy but man, what a dump...Ohyeah - they advertised free wi-fi, but we could only access it when my husband had the laptop over between the sink and the tub, holding it in the air... :-)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heatherwrighteous
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 21 May 2009

We arrived at this location to check in and the staff were very friendly. After we find the room (nobody told us which direction and there were no signs) which is suppose to be non-smoking we open the door and are hit with rotten smoke. This room must have been smoked in for years. There is an astray in the room which has a no smoking sign on it (ironic), The room was decent except you couldn't breathe. I called around and no other hotels had any vacancy. I should have slept in the car. We recieved a wake up call at 0530 which would have been great if we requested one! Do yourself a favor and stay at the Motel 6 at the Cross Lanes. The difference between them are night and day. I did email Motel 6 and they sent a letter saying they would look into it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scotty1302
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 January 2009

We ended up here on a road trip because the older places looked scary. This wasn't bad, just completely blah. The price was okay, at $51 for two. We ended up on the back of the ground floor behind a fence. The parking situation wasn't ideal, and the lot is in terrible shape. Our room was what you get at a Motel 6. Clean enough, small, boring. Our card did not work at first, so I had to run around the building to the lobby.

Of course, the next morning, I spotted a cute old motel on the way out of town.

• Liked — Clean and reasonable
  • Disliked — Dull, long walk from the little back lot to the room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank roadtripperMaryland
OHIO
Reviewed 18 October 2008

Room and property were clean but the area was a little shady. We were approached in the parking lot by a scarey looking man asking for money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Strange man
  • Stayed October 2008