“Good food and decent service. ”

La Carreta Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #122 of 279 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I eat here often and enjoy it every time. Though not the best, it is good food at a great price. Similar in taste and decor to so many other Mexican restaurants, but that's ok.

1  Thank joelc63

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I feel I should disqualify myself from this review, because 1) I live in Chicago, where we have a huge Mexican community and two of the best Mexican restaurants in the US (Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill and Topolobampo. 2) I have travelled to Mexico over 10 times and know Mexican food beyond what passes for "Mexican" in the US. I was visiting the area and went to the restaurant at the insistence of a friend who lives there. The place was not very crowded, generic décor in a strip mall-like setting. The servers were shy and reticent when I spoke to them--I am sure they do not have many Hispanic customers. My friend is not a foodie, and he absorbed the "taco salad served in a fried tortilla" without comments. My chile relleno was, well, not very good, the rice was dry and the refried beans almost industrial. Perhaps it's good for Charleston, but I am, in this case, an "unreliable informant."

1  Thank Tomás D
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Just off exit 95 at MacCorkle - it's next to the Lowe's which you can see from the highway. I've eaten here 3 times recently on trips travelling through Charleston. Very good CHEAP mexican food in a new building. Main parking lot is behind the restaurant. Food is delicious and the salsa is excellent. Quick service too - you can be in and out in half an hour at lunch so it's perfect for a road trip stop.

1  Thank ovg
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The food is really good and very affordable. It's been moved to a newly built location and is very clean and pleasantly decorated.

4  Thank HannahN92
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I used to eat at this restaurant a couple of times a week before I moved away from Charleston. Back then I knew the owners and their families and they were great. There is plenty of food and their cheese dip is the best!!!

4  Thank Barbara S