“everything looks good on the internet”

Brass Pineapple Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2012

This B&B is best described as dark, cluttered, and vastly overpriced. My husband and I had a room on the second floor that was very cramped and the electrical arrangements were enough to keep you awake at night. Small rooms can be cozy but that term would never be applied to the room we had. We did not stay for breakfast because we could not wait to get out of that house. I could not even bring myself to use the shower. It was so dark and claustrophobic.
My husband made the reservation and did not ask the price. I was shocked when I saw the amount posted on our credit card. The Brass Pineapple is not a good value.

Room Tip: Do not choose the English gentleman's room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shirley p

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I spent two nights at the Brass Pineapple with my husband, two kids and my parents. Accomodations are ideal. I booked the Grandmothers room upstairs for my kids and then we had two rooms on the second floor. This was actually my second stay at the Brass Pineapple. The first was about 4 years ago with just my husband (we were in town for a high school reunion). Anyway, this trip was for a funeral unfortunately but the Brass Pineapple made for an excellent gathering spot that was far superior to a run of the mill chain hotel. Cate was a fantastic hostess and the environment was ideal for a family gathering. The first night we were the only guests in the hotel, but the second night there were others but it never felt too crowded or more "social" than we were up for. I stay in lots of very nice hotels for business travel and for vacations and when given the choice in Charleston, WV, I'll go with the Brass Pineapple. Plus, you can walk to some of the best restaurants in town.

Room Tip: I seem to always go for the bathroom in the room but I really don't think this makes a big diffe...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jbf2
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Lisa is a fabulous hostess and truly made our experience a great one. She warmly greeted us, helped with our baby and answered every question we had during our stay. She offers snacks during the day (tea cookies/pound cake/nut mix/mini sandwiches/pasta salad/drinks) and brought out some special alcoholic items that evening, as well as kept extra snacks in the main frig if anyone wanted a nibble overnight. The morning breakfast consisted of carrot-ginger pancakes, fried eggs, sausage from a local farm, fresh fruit salad with Greek yogurt and coffee/tea/juices. We stayed in the third floor Hearts and Flowers room, as we had two kids in tow. We found the room very inviting and comfortable, and it was nice we had the option of the adjoining suite to spread out in. I found the king bed exceedingly comfortable...I have back issues and it was the first morning in months I woke up without problems. The inn is one block away from the fantastic state museum, which we highly suggest visiting. Would stay again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Hearts and Flowers room is great chocie for a family.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Our first time in WV and in Charleston, and we could not have chosen a better place to stay. Lisa is a wonderful hostess (very accomodating to our ever-changing late arrival). Her breakfasts were excellent (she uses local products where available), and offers fruit and other snacks in the off-hours. Our room was very clean and comfortable (the size of the bathroom did take a little getting used to). There's cable and Internet service, though you shouldn't need them much as there's plenty to do in town, or if you're chatting with Lisa and the staff. There's good off-street parking, and some cool restaurants either walking distance or a very short drive away. The Pineapple is also close to the Capitol and the Museum (both free and worth taking a look around). Definitely a home away from home.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DJMAlbany_NY
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We had a great stay this fall at the Brass Pineapple. Our room was warm, clean and inviting.The home is a victorian gem full of charm and antiques. Lisa is a very gracious hostess. The dinning room is always open and stocked with treats and wine.
The location is great - a short walk to the Caoital building - a must see - and the river walk.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We just enjoyed our fourth stay at the Brass Pineapple. It is located on a street of mature trees and large homes, within easy walking distance of the Capitol Building and the Cultural Center (both are a must see and free). There is ample off-street parking, and a nice front porch to relax on and watch bicyclists and joggers go by. There is a cake or some type of delicious sweet treat in the dining room at all times, crackers, assorted shelled nuts, along with coffee, hot water and an assortment of tea bags. In the refrigerator is a vegetable tray w/dip, cheese (for the crackers) and iced tea and/or lemonade. We have stayed in three different rooms during our four visits, and all have been comfortable. We will definitely be back, as this is our preferred place of lodging in Charleston while visiting our son at college.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CEJTraveler
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Lisa and her staff were wonderful. Fun, friendly and so helpful. The rooms were lovely, clean and cozy, they try to think of all that you might need. The house is so beautiful and we loved sitting on the front porch cuddling with Pineapple the cat. Every morning at breakfast there was something different and delicious. We loved the fact that Lisa buys from local organic suppliers and works her magic. The location is ideal, we jogged along the river most mornings and strolled the Capital grounds and river each evening. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple