“Great sushi - can't believe its in Charleston”

Kaifu Japanese Cuisine & Sushi Bar
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I'm always hesitant to try sushi that (a) not near a major city with an airport and/or (b) not near a place where fresh fish is easy to obtain. However, Kaifu is awesome. Great sushi. The chef knows his stuff. I'm in Charleston about once a month for work, and I eat lunch there frequently. Very good prices too.

The restaurant is very small (if you walk by too fast you'll miss it), and the décor is a bit worn, but the sushi makes up for it.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Our family frequents Kaifu regularly. The waitresses are very friendly and service is good. The sushi is wonderful! Our favorite roll is the Red Roof. The spicy fried tofu is also delicious!

2  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

My husband and I love this place. I always come for Hawaiian poki roll. He gets the sushi combo. The sushi chef, Yoshi, is always very friendly and does a wonderful job. This is the best place for real sushi in WV. This is not the place to come if you want fancy rolls covered in too much sauce and you can't taste the fish. This is a place to come it you want the real deal.

1  Thank Angelanov
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Just plain nasty and expensive for food we couldn't eat. Canned peaches dumped out into bowl...sushi was slabs of raw fish...yuck...service? I guess trying for Flo but missed the boat and just seemed rude!

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Should really be Average and a half on rating, but cant do halves... So its good but not great, a little pricey but not totally unreasonable. Went late in the evening. Staff was very good. Portions are more than fair. Choices are limited, but they have the basics, tuna and salmon, nothing exotic that I saw. Rolls may be the best deals. Location across from the mall and down the street from several hotels is very easy to access. Food was good. They do charge you for alternatives, so make sure you ask wht you are getting. Not a fan of fake crab sticks which they served as a sushi, would've rather had another piece of tuna or salmon, but didn't really think to ask until we finished. Would visit again if in Charleston and wanted sushi.