“Intense But Thrilling”

NROCKS Outdoor Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: NROCKS Outdoor Adventures, formerly known as the Nelson Rocks Outdoor Center, is a privately-owned adventure destination that encompasses 145 mountainous acres, including the two Tuscarora Quartzite fins of Nelson Rocks. Located in the beautiful North Fork Valley of Pendleton County, West Virginia, NROCKS is home to a Via Ferrata, The North Fork Valley Canopy Tour, and incredible guided rock climbing trips. Come visit and experience an adventure of a lifetime!
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My wife and I decided to take a long day-trip from DC to do the Via Ferrata. I was excited to go and see what kind of challenge it presented, but I wasn't quite ready for just how intense the rock climbing would be. After making the trek to the bottom of the first rock face, you will encounter what's basically a sheer rock wall (maybe 200 feet tall?). I actually found that to be the most difficult climb of the whole trip. The challenge isn't necessarily as physical as it is mental, if you have any fear of heights. What I'm trying to communicate is that you need to be prepared to be extremely focused and a little bit physically strained for about three hours.

Now that I've scared you into doubting yourself, I'll tell you that this was one of the most amazing experiences of my entire life. The views are absolutely incredible, the geology is interesting, and the rope bridge is straight out of Indiana Jones. The climbing is tough but fun. I would highly recommend you take part in this adventure, even with the relatively steep price tag. The customer service we received was excellent, as we missed our scheduled 11:00 tour because of a traffic jam outside of DC. They shifted us to 1:00 with no problem. Our guides were awesome as well.

If you are an adventuresome person with limited climbing experience, I highly recommend the Via.

There are newer reviews for NROCKS Outdoor Adventures

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We made reservations at Nelson Rocks Outdoor Center, for the Canopy Tour and to stay in the Primitive Cabins on the property. The total reservation and follow-up experience went very smoothly and professionally. Everything was done on line and I made one phone call.
Upon arrival, we found the staff very personable and professional. We drove up to our cabin, and found them to be just what we expected! We are tent campers, but do enjoy a hot shower. The cabins were wonderful. The shower/bathroom facilities were right along side the cabins, very close. So, it's like roughing it, but cleaner!!
NROC guides on the Canopy Tour were very knowledgeable, safety oriented, personable and FUN! Planning on a return visit for the Via Ferrata.

2  Thank JustSandy
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I'm agreeing with the advice of the other reviewer to not make reservations in advance. While the via ferrata is a very cool idea and there is great potential for the site, they also have terrible customer service and do not have an effective way to deal with contingencies. When I needed to reschedule a climb, the manager never even responded to my email. It was one of those, sorry this is our policy, you are simply out of $115. They will not work with you. I don't know what they would do if weather was poor and not good for climbing. So before you risk losing out on a hefty fee, just call ahead when you are already there. We made reservations for 4th of July weekend thinking it would be booked, but even on that busy weekend there was still availability. Given their overly restrictive policy and poor customer service, it doesn't pay to reserve ahead. And with the other climbing opportunities in the area, this is comparatively expensive and you would think they would work harder to keep people happy.

I climbed the via ferrata a few years ago, so they are getting some stars for that experience. I was put off trying again because now they make you climb in a group with a guide. But my friends who completed the climb and did not have to reschedule said only positive things about the guides.

4  Thank Loraine H
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My wife and I were looking for something adventurous to do on our 25th anniversary. Neither of us had much climbing experience (just a small rock wall at a sporting goods store), but though this looked interesting. Unlike traditional climbing, your path is pretty much defined by the cable you use as a safety line. It is a lot like a high ropes course on rocks. The views are a great reward for the work you do climbing. This is not a good choice for anyone with a fear of heights. The guides do not push you out of your comfort-zone, but they make sure you can safely experience this adventure. Definitely a bucket list worthy activity.

2  Thank columbus_phil
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My friends and I did the Via Ferrata tour. No prior climbing experience. I am afraid of heights, but it was totally worth it. The first part of the climb was a little scary, but once we got to one of the peaks, the view was absolutely breath taking! I didn't even feel like I was in West Virginia anymore. The swinging bridge was fun too. If you can get past the fear of heights, this will be one of the most amazing adventures you will ever go on. The guides were great at keeping us calm and directing us where to go.

2  Thank Lauren S