“Business Stay”

Canaan Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Davis
Reviewed 4 April 2014

On a Monday night after ski season has closed and the summer tourist season has not started, Canaan Valley is very quiet. The last time I stayed in the resort, the remodel was not completed. The new facilities looked great. Lobby was expansive and check in was easy.

My room was new and clean including the bathroom. The TV was excellent and the internet service was efficient.

Only one complaint. In room coffee and powered cream does not cut it for me. I went to the lobby at 6:45 am looking for some fresh brew. There was none available and the front desk sent me to the restaurant which was closed. I did finally find the kitchen entrance and the very nice chef and server lead me to brewing java. This is not a deal breaker but fresh coffee at 6:45 am should be easy to find!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Liz M, Director of Sales at Canaan Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for taking some time to post your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the new Canaan Valley, and hope we might have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Thank you as well for offering your constructive notes regarding coffee service. We pride ourselves in taking care of the little details, and as a result of your comments, we are considering several ideas to most efficiently offer fresh coffee service for our guests. I am confident that during your next visit, we will have a wonderful solution for you.
Thank you again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

All the Best.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I decided to take a weekend getaway there in October. I registered through their website for a package deal that included ziplining with a nearby company and breakfast at hotel. When I checked in, the clerk did not know anything about the package and went to get a manager. She got angry with me for booking a room through their website. That's right, she blamed their lack of organization on the fact that I booked the room through their website. Then she insisted that the zipline tour had been shut down. When I asked her about the envelope on the shelf behind her that clearly had my name on it, she angrily handed it over. It had the zipline information, but when I got to the room, I realized that I didn't know how to redeem the breakfast or where the restaurant was. Back to the lobby where a third clerk was angry that I didn't know where the restaurant was, even though the building was being remodelled and everything was torn up. Again, it was apparently my fault that the tickets for breakfast weren't in the envelope (hey, what is that second envelope with my name on it?). Then I asked about trail maps for the property and was told that I had to buy one.

I had also wanted to book a massage, which the property claims to offer. The spa area was completely dark, with no hours posted. There was no information in the room about how to make arrangements. So I waited in line for the one book in the lobby that was supposed to have information. It told me to ask at the front desk, but no way was I dealing that that group again.

I would go back to the area, but I would absolutely not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank HappyScientist
Liz M, Director of Sales at Canaan Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for offering your feedback. All critique, whether good or bad, offers our team an opportunity to learn and grow. We've taken the liberty of forwarding your comments directly to our entire management team as immediate reminders of the hospitality standards we hold our teams accountable for upholding are required. It is true - the timeframe of your stay may not have shown us in our best light, but that is no excuse for anything less than flawless service.
We are so very sorry for your experience at Canaan, and hope that you might accept our apologies.

Our Best.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We took our first trip to Canaan Valley. We stayed in a cabin. Very rustic, but very clean. The kids had a great time as did we. When we were not skiing (very scenic!), the kids enjoyed the outdoor skating rink, and indoor pool. Both the breakfast buffet and dinner buffet in the main lodge were delicious, many options, and very reasonably priced.
Are already planning our next visit!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I went to Canaan Valley Resort last year around President's Day weekend. When we pulled into the parking lot, it was clear that major renovations were going on. At the time, the accommodations were adequate at best. Everything else was good to great in terms of food, service, etc. The skiing was great and the scenery was breath taking. We returned this year and from the time we walked through the front doors, we were stunned at how beautiful the renovated Canaan Valley Resort was. The rooms were incredible! My previous job required me to travel throughout the United States and I've stayed in some very, very nice hotel rooms. I would put our room at Canaan Valley up against any of them. The bed was enormous and as comfortable as could be. The decor in the room was very tasteful. Every amenity that you could possibly want was in the room (refrigerator, microwave, etc.) We brought our infant son with us and required a crib. When we asked for one at the front desk, they delivered one within five minutes and did so with a smile. We ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant in the resort and couldn't have been more happy with the food and the service. We had a few drinks at the bar the night we arrived and had great service there as well. Our bartender, whose name was Amber if memory serves me correctly, was very pleasant and attentive. She even remembered us from our last trip which was impressive considering the hundreds if not thousands of people she meets each year. The skiing and the scenery were as excellent this year as they were the previous year. We plan on returning to Canaan Valley Resort for many years to come. On an unrelated note, this was a particularly nostalgic trip for my wife and I because it was when we returned from our trip last year that we found she was pregnant with our son Cole!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Liz M, Director of Sales at Canaan Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Wow! Your review is everything we could ever hope for. We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed yourself, and we would be honored to welcome you back for years to come. Nothing would make us more happy.

All the Best!

Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed last year during the same weekend before the new lodge was renovated. All I can say is WOW! The new lodge is beautiful! The reception area is large and lovely! There is a nice cafe open right by the front desk, with reasonably priced provisions, some foods, salads, pastries, coffee....and such kind, pleasant employees- we used it a lot - would be nice if they opened a little earlier than 9 am. Beautiful gift shop next door with wonderful employees as well. We didn't eat at the restaurant this time. The pool and game rooms are not changed. We had a 2 queen room, they are brand new and super comfy! They have a mini fridge and a microwave which made it nice to have cereal in the morning in the room, pop some popcorn, etc. We had a wonderful family weekend again. So happy the renovations are complete! Nice job!

Stayed: March 2014

A year does make a world of difference, and we couldn't be more grateful for your continued support of Canaan Valley. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the new Lodge and new guestrooms. They truly make Canaan an even more remarkable experience. We hope you might make it back to Canaan this summer - so you can enjoy the beauty of the park and lodge from a different perspective!

All the Best!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I love to visit Davis, WV. We've spend several vacations in the area, but this past weekend was the first we've spent at Canaan Valley Resort State Park.

We've stayed at other Resort State Parks in WV, and, since the extensive renovations, this is one of the best! The room was large and well-appointed. Flat-screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, and large, comfy bed made for an excellent in-room experience. The bathroom was nice and they have a good brand of shampoo/conditioner/soap. We also enjoyed both the dinner and breakfast buffets offered by the Hickory Dining Room. The food was very good, especially the deserts at dinner. Yum!

Now for the bad. Let's talk about the Wi-Fi. The connection was OK. Not blazing fast, but fast enough to check e-mail and do normal web-surfing EXCEPT THAT SOME WEBSITES ARE CENSORED! I don't know who this provider is, or who makes the decisions on what sites are blocked, but imagine my surprise when I found my favorite time-waster, Reddit, totally blocked due to "Adult Content". While it's possible to find adult content on Reddit, it's barely 1% of the site. Even still, why is anything being blocked on a public WiFi service? I have to admit that I was shocked by this, and it's the main reason I docked the stay a star.

The other bummer was the location and access to the fitness room. First, it was difficult to find. You have to go THROUGH the pool room to get to the fitness center. Not only that, you have to ask the pool attendant for a key to access the fitness center. Once inside, one can find a pretty good variety of workout machines. But the access and locale seemed unorthodox. Once might think that with the renovation, they would add separate, key-card access. Perhaps this might be an upgrade for the future.

All-in-all, we had a really wonderful stay. Would I refuse to stay here again just because of a stupid WiFi policy and weird fitness center location? Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, I hope they might reconsider their policy, and work to improve these two issues. Otherwise, they have an spectacular location and very comfortable rooms that about anyone would enjoy staying in.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review, as well as your suggestions for improvement. We must admit, your comment regarding WiFi censorship threw us for a loop, and we've been investigating for quite some time. From the hotel's perspective, there are no blocked or censored websites, and according to our guidelines with our provider there are no filters. We will continue double-checking to ensure that this is correct - but please know that it is not at all our policy to filter web browsing.
Our fitness center does have a unique location, and please accept our apologies for your difficulty in locating it. Renovating this is not in current plans, but having nature's playground out our front door is a nice perk (in our humble opinions).
We hope we do have the honor of welcoming you back in the future.

All the Best.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

They really did a great job with renovating this hotel. The rooms are really nice and comfortable. I got a junior king suite for our group and we were able to fit at least 20 people in there comfortably. The staff were friendly and helpful. Huge, huge improvement over the old 1970's motel style rooms.

The breakfast was included in the package and it was really good, much better than your typical hotel breakfast in that it had real eggs, bacon, pancakes, sausage, grits, fruit, etc. We also had the prime rib dinner in the dinning room and it was definitely worthwhile, although a carving startion would have made it better. The Lounge was pretty happening over th weekend with a DJ/Karaoke and lots of dancing.

The only reason I don't give this an excellent is that you have to drive several miles to the slopes or ride on a bus, I really wish that they had built this place at the base of the mountain.

Room Tip: The junior suites are very spacious