“Fine brewpub, not so hot as a restaurant”

Blackwater Brewing Company
Ranked #13 of 22 Restaurants in Davis
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Brewery and brewpub, offering an evolving menu of fresh-cooked meals as pairing and compliment to our award-winning European-style session beers.
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The previous management had run a German restaurant of moderate quality; the new management offers a brewpub with a small, verbally given (no printed menus available) menu that runs from hamburgers through bratwurst. The sauerkraut and potato salad sides that came with the bratwurst are excellent.

While they cannot entirely be held responsible for this, we had the misfortune to visit during a football game involving the state university, so the pub was full of noisy fans and the service was glacial/atrocious -- it took us 1-1/2 hours to be served a simple bratwurst lunch, while we saw some people who had arrived after we had placed our order being served, dine and leave before we received our meal.

In summary, I'd come here for their brews (very good, and for which they have strong competition from a brewery in nearby Thomas WV) and dine elsewhere.

1  Thank AfricaAsiaTraveller

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Since we last visited Blackwater Brewing, owner Lincoln Wilkins has continued to make improvements, and to redefine the brewpub to fit his personality. He is a fine brewer, with several session beers that are high on taste, as well as some "big" beers that are complex, yet balanced. I had the bratwurst sandwich with sauerkraut and warm German potato salad, which matched well with the delicious marzen. This is one of my "go to" places in the Davis, WV area.

2  Thank Mary Ann Y
Reviewed 13 August 2013

First off I'm a beer snob and when I heard that Blackwater Brewing was under new management I was cautiously optimistic. New owner/brewer Lincoln Wilkinis has exceeded my expectations by a bunch. I'm, like most of my buddies, an IPA nut and to get me to appreciate another style takes a very good beer. Lincoln did that on a recent visit. I got to drink a very nice Kolsch, a 3200' Alt and a Baltic Porter brewed with locally sourced maple syrup. By the way, Lincoln can also brew IPA's and during an earlier visit I got to attest to their excellence. On Monday nights the restaurant features steak night and, again, on an earlier visit I got to take part in their Wing Nite. My wife still raves about the sauces. Lincoln's WV roots run deep and, although he and his wife could have chosen to live anywhere in the world, they returned home. Blackwater Brewing is one of my favorite places in WV and, if it continues to make the progress I've personally witnessed in less than a year, it will meet Dr. Wilkins goal of world class beer & food.

2  Thank Yevuta
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We've been coming to Davis and Canaan Valley every summer for a week for the past 10 years. Many years ago we came to this restaurant and were underwhelmed. But a sign out front said they had remodeled and had a new chef and menu so we tried it out. We were told to seat ourselves and then it took a fairly long wait before the waitress came to us. We asked to see the menus and were told there weren't any menus. She said the menu was in her head. She told us about the few items available. They were hamburgers, a veggie burger, spicy wings, and bratwurst. The children's menu was spaghetti and some sandwiches. We ordered drinks first. Of five adults, four ordered beers, the other a soda. The 2 children ordered sodas. Nothing was written down by the waitress. When our drink order came, one beer was missing. "Oh, did you want a beer also?" the waitress inquired to my daughter who was missing the beer she ordered. The waitress then took our food order. I think she wrote this down, but not sure. One adult ordered the wings, one the burger, one the veggie burger and 2 the bratwurst. One child ordered spaghetti and the other a sandwich.
Meanwhile our daughter still didn't have the beer she ordered although we could see it sitting on the bar. Only after reminding the waitress did she go get the beer for our daughter. After a fairly long wait, we got our food. At least all but one of us did. My bratwurst did not come with the order and it was obvious that the waitress had failed to give the order to the kitchen. Only after everyone else had finished did my bratwurst arrive. Absolutely no apology given! The bratwurst tasted ok but the German potato salad that came on the side was nothing like what German potato salad should taste like. It was dry pieces of cut-up baked potato with maybe a hint of mustard dressing, hard to say really. The rest of the food was edible but barely. Children's portions were very small, maybe ok for a 4 year old but not our 8-10 year olds. Did I mention this place was not busy? Hardly anyone there, but the service was more like a crowded busy place. The beer was average, nothing to rave about.
There are not many places to eat in this town but my vote goes to the burrito place down the street. The service, beer, and food there are great.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We wandered in on a Saturday night and found the staff welcoming and ready to please. The brewery produces 3-4 different beers and has very reasonable prices. The hard apple cider on tap was a treat and the food was tasty. There were no menus and the options were limited (basically burgers or fish with fries)- not a place where you'll find a full menu. They did have veggie burgers for the vegetarian in the crowd and were happy to consider substitutions. All in all a very pleasant evening, though we left wanting a bit more.

1  Thank travelingmv

Been to Blackwater Brewing Company? Share your experiences!