“Loud ac units”

Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge
Lewes, Delaware
“Loud ac units”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Our stay was fine, but just want to mention that room 244 on the second/top floor (all rooms are on this floor) was directly above gigantic a/c units outside and they were LOUD when on, but fortunately their noise drowned out the sounds of people slamming or closing doors.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GarySaw1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This lodge is a very adequate lodge. It's primary draw is that it is located close to beautiful scenery and the Blackwater Falls. Our room had wifi and was air-conditioned. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom adequate. It was not fancy nor was it upscale. The bathroom had a sink, but no counters around it and the regular straight shower bar instead of the newer curved ones. It was clean and functioned well for us to be near to this scenery. There was a program in the connected conference room in the evening which was very convenient.. I would stay here again if I went to the state park.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the canyon.
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the lodge. It is older but we usually camp so it was great to have beds & a hot shower! We used the hot tub after hiking & enjoyed some of the games in the game room. We had a nice view of the canyon. We didn't eat at the lodge but had great food in the town of Davis. FYI-this place is in the middle of nowhere. It is very scenic but the last hour drive was on very twisty roads.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heatherminier
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My friend and I just spent 5 nights here on a Road Scholar Program. Due to the nature of the program, we were in the lodge nearly the whole time. We were fortunate in having one of the rooms overlooking the canyon, which was delightful. The TV is big and new. The beds are old and not new, and the pillows are a joke. There is no coffee maker and no hair dryer in the unit. The bathroom is incredibly small.
We ate all meals at the lodge. I thought they were pretty bad, as was the service. Breakfast was the best meal. I would recommend the bacon and the oatmeal, and people spoke favorably of the biscuits. We were served water at the table and practically had to fight or beg to get coffee, juice, or tea, which was available and included. Eventually, they did put out iced tea and orange juice. They put out coffee a couple of times. You had to ask separately for cream for the coffee. A lot of canned and processed food is used, and chicken was served all 5 nights.
I thought the setting was lovely and the "parlor" is pretty nice. There is an indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi, which I used, but the second time I wanted to use the pool, it was closed. I really think the cabins are the better choice here.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the second floor. Ask for a room facing the canyon.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank oldlawmom
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed here two nights. The location to spend time in the park is great, but the lodge does need some refreshing. Our room was comfortable enough and had a lovely view of the canyon, but the bathroom could definitely be updated. There is little space to put anything. The room itself did have a good bit of surface area to place things, but that's not as convenient for toiletries, etc. In general, the lighting in the halls and great room could be lightened up considerably. There was no security latch on the door to the room. It was also not quiet, with little insulation from noise in other rooms and in the hall. We only ate one meal, a breakfast buffet, in the hotel. It's only about a five-minute drive into Davis where you will have a much better selection of places to eat. They did make us a nice box lunch, though.
West Virginia has just spent a huge investment in the Canaan Valley Resort and it's beautiful. They should now spend a bit of money to update the lodge here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a canyon view. Otherwise, you will be overlooking the parking lot.
1 Thank andyhg
Maryland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our third stay in a lodge room and absolutely the worse. We originally had room 233 right by the stairs, elevator and ice machine. Excellent customer service and we moved to room 253 due to the horrible noise. It made a slight difference but still heard every door slamming, children running down the hallway and every conversation. The room is adequate and very clean. Customer service excellent. The dinner buffet was horrible looking, so we went to Canaan Valley and their buffet was just a little more expensive but well worth it. I definitely would not recommend a lodge room under any circumstances.

2 Thank ontheroadagain33
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I just had a 2 night stay here. The falls are breathtaking (my other review) but I am reviewing the lodge...

It really has an "old world" charm about it but I feel like it has fallen into some disrepair and is outdated. It really has the potential to be a fantastic place but needs some attention.
A few things I noticed/saw:concrete steps leading up to the side of the building have been falling apart and seem to be hastily redone with wood(!!) , side of lodge also with peeling paint, rough drywall patches on ceiling in hallway , gouged out areas in the concrete in the back and the icing on the cake:at least 3 dead plants in their holders outside. It's just emblematic of how it seems like people don't care anymore about the place.

Besides fixing the above,I think management should realize that small things could go a long way and make the place seem fresh and new. Like PLEASE replace the shower curtain that looks like it has been hanging there since 1979!! It had the metal rings holding it to the pole that were rusting for crying out loud!!!

The rooms themselves were average size,etc. Nothing special. Nice tv though. There were 2 concrete slabs that were passed off as pillows. I found 2 hairs in the bathroom;they were not mine...:(

The restaurant was ok. I had 1 dinner and 1 breakfast there. I felt like my waitress was bothered by my very presence but as other reviewers have pointed out; different attitude the next morning with the waitstaff. She also actually filled my water bottle for me. (Oh yeah another thing -ice maker didn't work for 2 days. Not that I would want to use it since the ice is in a big freezer all loose and everyone has to use the same scoop to take it out then it's placed back on this shelf . Did not want to use that ice for drinking out of my water bottle!!!

There is a beautiful lookout in the back and some chairs where you could sit. I watched one of the most beautiful sunsets ever!!!

I just feel sad that park management doesn't seem to be making this place a priority. I saw several new cabins in the park so maybe that's where their focus is now.

Still glad I stayed here because of the location. I hiked a lot of the trails in the park and took a short side trip to Canaan Valley. I just hope that park management will realize what a diamond in the rough this place is and give it the attention it deserves.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Michele A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davis
Canaan Valley Resort
#1 of 8 in Elkins
Canaan Village Inn
Canaan Village Inn
#2 of 7 in Davis

Been to Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge? Share your experiences!