“Would camp again!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abrams Creek Retreat & Campground

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Abrams Creek Retreat & Campground
Toronto, Canada
“Would camp again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed in a rustic (no electricity) cabin for a business conference. The grounds where beautiful, and I loved snacking on the blackberries on my walk to and from the main area.

Some quick pros:
The grounds are green and lush and beautiful!
The creek had lots of spots for wading, some up to my chest, and even a few spaces I could drive under.
I had hot water every time I showered
Tommy made the BEST tomatoes soup I have ever had.
Very few mosquitos - I didn't get a single bite!

Some cons:
The grounds are BIG. It was a 12-15 min walk from the main area to my cabin. This wouldn't have been such a big deal if I was just there camping/relaxing, but our schedule was full so it meant I had to pack for my whole day down at the main area at 8am.
Sitting 6-8 hours in the big dome was hard on my body. Backjacks were provided, but pack extra cushioning.

The Cabin:
My loft bunk was so high I could just kneel while upright (I'm 5'6) but all I did up there was sleep, and left my clothes "downstairs", so it worked out. The nights were cooler, and I was glad I packed an extra blanket.

Definitely pack lanterns as the cabin was often dim even during the day. Loved having the porch to relax on, and the rushing creek to fall asleep to at night. The lock box for the key made it really convenient for sharing one key among the three of us staying in the cabin and still giving me assurance that my belongings would be safe.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Area is beautiful. Campground is neglected and could use some clean-up. Area around the Lodge house needs lots of attention and beautification. Showers had plenty of hot water but we felt the need to wear flip-flops to shower. Our cabin was not clean and I don't mean a daily cleaning like sweeping, dusting and the trash emptied--it needed a really good cleaning. The excuse was that it had been a very week . But again the dirt we saw took quite some time to build up. The cabin was not finished and had insulation and wiring exposed. A sum of money disappeared from our room even though it was kept locked. I will discuss this with the management and will offer an update. Port-a-potties were clean. Management was friendly and accommodating. We were told by the cleaning staff that if we needed anything else just ask but it seems there would be a charge. A little bit of a surprise-at least to us-that we had to supply our own propane for their supplied stoves as an example.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tamara C
Michael R, Owner at Abrams Creek Retreat & Campground, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
It is sometimes hard to communicate to guests what a campground is about. We intend the grounds to be as close to natural as we can manage, doing only minimal path clearing. Visiting Abrams Creek is camping in *nature*, not in a cultivated park. Campsites are widely separated; many cannot be seen from another campsite.
The cabin had been cleaned just before they occupied it; I don't know what did not meet their expectations.
The guest said that it was not finished-- but it is advertised as a rustic camping cabin, and is not intended to be "finished"--it is not a hotel room, nor is it priced like a hotel room. We want to be as affordable as possible for those who love being in nature.
We do whatever we can to assist our guests. I have no idea why they thought there would be a charge for any assistance-- we have no such charges.
We do provide propane stoves and grills, and it is clearly disclosed on our website that guests should bring their own propane. Some guests prefer wood fires, and they also bring their own wood, or purchase it from us. I know of no campground that supplies either propane or firewood; I imagine that these guests were used to a very different (and much higher priced) sort of accommodation.
It may be that losing track of their money may have had an effect on their impressions. The guest told us that she wasn't sure whether she had left it at home, or brought it with her. Since the *only* key to the cabin was in her possession, I cannot imagine that the money would have been taken; we have never had an incident of theft on the property before.

We invite anyone who is reading this review to see for themselves what a gem Abrams Creek is, and we will offer 20% off our regular rates for folks new to Abrams Creek. Just enter "TA20" in the comments section when making your reservation. The full amount will show on checkout, but only the discounted amount will be charged to your card.
Morgantown, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked cabin E for 2 nights. If you are looking for quiet and back to nature..This is the place. It is by no means anything luxurious. The drinking water supply isn't adequate so take couple gallons with you. Futon mattress are never comfortable but with air mattress on top it was a good nights sleep. The bathhouse is a storage trailer converted. But better than nothing. However, the port-a-pottys are spotless. The lots are very spacious , there was a microwave and a grill. Definitely very handy. The campground is with 30 miles to many attractions Thomas, Davis WV , Blackwater Falls and Lindy Point. Although the grounds could use a little clean up we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I'm delighted to hear that our guest understood and appreciated the special access to nature that we provide. We have a range of accommodations, from forest floor campsites, to rustic camping cabins, to guest house accommodations with full linen service, to a retreat cottage with full amenities. This guest chose a rustic camping cabin, which is not meant to be luxurious, and appreciated it for what it is.
We will check the mattress in the cabin; we select the mattresses specifically for comfort.
I don't know why the guest thought the water supply was inadequate. We have unlimited certified potable water, both county water and deep well water, in several locations throughout the campground; two of the water supply stations are within 100 yards of the cabin, and are marked on the campground map. So there's no need to bring your own water--we have two different sources, and plenty of it!
We encourage any guest who does not find a resource they need to ask any of our staff, and we would be delighted to help.
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I came here for a private conference. The land is very beautiful. I shared a room in the lodge and my bed was comfortable. This was by no means first class lodging, but there was always hot water in the bathrooms and the bed was comfortable. The food was delicious with lots of choices for omnivores,vegetarians and gluten-free folks. It's very down-to-earth - we went through a food line in the kitchen and sat at picnic tables and washed our own plates.There's always coffee/tea and you can always make a peanut-butter sandwich. Our conference activities were held in two domes which were carpeted and had wifi. The owners and staff are very friendly and willing to help with everything. I would come back again. But remember this is a campground, not a resort!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

We booked 2 nights accommodation with the only en-suite room, having seen Bed and Breakfast advertised on this and other sites. We were the only guests, the room was half finished, half a curtain was pinned over the window, the shower did not work and there was no breakfast. The whole place was overgrown, run down and had junk all over the place. Washed sheets all over the sofa in the guest sitting room (for 2 days). I am afraid it is totally neglected and the locals we spoke to knew it. Don't stay unless you want to rough it and pay for it.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Michael R, General Manager at Abrams Creek Retreat & Campground, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
I'm sorry that the guest did not have an experience that matched their expectations. I can understand how this might have happened, since apparently they were expecting a bed and breakfast, and we are a campground with a guest house.

The guest said that the shower did not work, which wan incorrect. The control to switch from tub to shower is a stylish one, which not everyone recognizes as the shower control. Had the guest mentioned it to us, we would have shown him how to work the control.

At the time this guest stayed with us, we did not have a breakfast option, nor did we advertise as a B&B; I don't know how they got the impression that we did. I suspect that misunderstanding colored their perception of the facilities, which most of our guests find delightful.

(Because of several requests, we have since added a breakfast bar option as of April 2014, and we created a separate website for guests who want this option. However, we try to emphasize that this is not a "lace-doily" B&B; we describe it as a "B&B for the active person".)

We took over this property not long before the reviewer stayed with us; there were certainly "rough" features, since the property was originally intended to be just a campground. But there were many people who found the stunning natural beauty of the stream and forest something they wanted to enjoy without having to sleep in a tent. So we have been on a program of continual improvement; every time a guest returns, they will find upgraded features, new amenities, and a wide range of accommodations, including campsites, tipis, and rustic cabins; hostel, guest house, and B&B accommodations; and a 2 BR retreat cottage.

Been to Abrams Creek Retreat & Campground? Share your experiences!