“Never Visit Again Rude Staff”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Elkins
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Never Visit Again Rude Staff”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel, the 1st with our grandson several years ago arriving only to find the pool was closed for maintenance. We cut our 3 day stay short & moved to another hotel, at that time they did offer a small reduction in room rates. Our latest trip was made with my elderly mother-in-law with a planned 2 night stay, 2 rooms booked through Expedia. With several years under her belt the rooms were showing some wear & tear but clean & well kept as I would expect. However, we were greeted with a 4 AM wakeup call from the smoke detector in our room, I went to the front desk & they gave me a different battery, no luck so I pulled the plug on it til morning. Unfortunately, my elderly in-law experienced some difficulty that evening forced us to cut our stay short. I was told this would be no problem & we could have a late checkout. Later when checking out I dealt with a young man (not sure of his name but the GM was in the office within earshot) who informed me that I would be charged with the room since it was booked through Expedia & it was not their problem, I would have to deal with Expedia. He was extremely rude & I countered that what about the fact we were awakened at 4 AM by the smoke detector in our room, his response not their fault it was the battery. Bottom line, 4AM smoke alarm beep beep every 12 seconds that most people wouldn't even know how to deal with, a rude dude at the front desk, who did nothing & to add insult to injury the breakfast totally sucked. I was disappointed in the GM who allowed his employee to treat one of his guests in such a manner but the verdict is out whether he will back me up as he claimed to get credit for 2 rooms stay that we never received. Doubtful I'll be choosing Holiday Inn Express Elkins any time soon.

Room Tip: Shop around & deal direct with hotel, not excuse then.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
ElkinsHIE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am the General Manager and unfortunately I was not at the hotel at the time of the incident. I apologize for the smoke detector's battery dying during the middle of the night. We check them monthly and have a scheduled maintenance program in place as mandated by IHG to try to avoid situations like yours.

I am afraid there was a misunderstanding between your correspondence with the Front Desk Associate. The problem is that the room was booked through Expedia and needed changed. Expedia booked a pre-paid room with a cancelation penalty of the room and tax. As we stated, we would not charge Expedia for the second night but you need to talk to Expedia to get a credit since Expedia is the one that charged you. This may be why you felt that the Front Desk Agent was rude but due to contractual obligations on a corporate level, those are the steps to follow in order to receive a refund for the unused nights. I hope this clarifies the issue and that you don't hold it against the Front Desk Agent. He went beyond in allowing the contractual obligations between you, Expedia and us to be altered in order to be fair to you. I encourage you read the "fine print" of travel agencies booking discounted rates, or book directly through Holiday Inn Express. This will alleviate some issues in the future. I hope your mother-in-law is doing better. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Hurricane, West Virginia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Hotel is in a convenient location. Walking distance to most local attractions like the train yard, town shopping and American Mountain Theater. Beds were comfy, room was well maintained and clean. Pool area was nice. Nice breakfast (pancakes, cinn rolls, cereal, eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits, etc). Only neg was that there was a 12% "Bed/Room occupancy tax" in addition to the state tax that the girl at the front desk could not give me an explanation for. Kinda made me wonder if HIE isn't tacking their own little extra fee on there since the girl could not give me an answer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. As for the tax, 6% is a state tax and the other 6% is a bed and occupancy tax for a total of 12%. Those are state and city taxes. Unfortunately we have no control over those taxes. I hope that answers your question. Thank you for staying and we hope you stay with us again.
Walden, Tenn
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The HIE in Elkins is located downtown adjacent to their theater and railroad attractions but also within walking distance of everything worth walking to in this little oasis in the Wilderness of Wild, Wonderful West Virginia. The service is good, facilities in top shape and accommodations up to snuff for the HIE flag. I don't know if an HIE can ever really warrant five stars but this is a fine speciman of this brand of hotel. Book with confidence

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ElkinsHIE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your comments. I think your review is spot on. The brand of Holiday Inn Express is not your world class high end hotel chain but if you want a nice, clean comfortable hotel room with a great breakfast and pool and hot tub, we provide that with excellent service. Thank you for staying with us and for your review.
Gallipolis, Ohio
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

This was our first stay in Elkins. We were welcomed by staff in a friendly but professional manner. I had called a couple days earlier and requested early check-in due to health issues. The young man who answered my call would not promise but left a note for the staff working on our scheduled day of arrival stating they would do everything possible to assist us. Upon arrival, our room was ready. Throughout our stay the staff was busy making sure the hotel was neat and inviting.
The breakfast buffet was excellent. There was a variety of hot and cold food, even healthy options. Here again the staff was impressive The buffet area was clean and stocked, even during the busiest time. Food was hot and fresh. Tables were cleaned immediately. This was all done without inconveniencing guests.

• Stayed May 2014
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you pointing out our new healthy options for breakfast. As some have stated in reviews in the past, people wanted healthy choices. Holiday Inn Express came through and added several items to our breakfast to help make your stay fit you better. Thank you for staying and I will be sure to pass along your comments to the rest of the staff.
Huntingtown, Maryland
Reviewed 17 April 2014

If you are going to ride the rail train or attend the American Mountain Theater this property is right across the street. The is also a place you can eat across the street. You are only a city block from the main street in Elkins which has a few place to eat. I would eat at C.J. Maggie's. They have wood fired pizza and a huge menu. This is a pretty unique place in Elkins.
The hotel is clean, rooms are large, service is good, business room is good with good internet.
There is a pool on the property and it can get noisy with kids on the weekend. Some adults tend to sit in the large breakfast area during the day when the kids are in the pool. It is a great place to stay with plenty of parking. We did have a problem with music at 2 am in the morning that was coming from another room. I did not call the front desk but went back to sleep.

Room Tip: It has by far the best location in Elkins if you are going to ride the tourist train or attend the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We not only feel that we have the nicest establishment in town but with our location, we can accommodate most anyone for any situation. Thanks for your comments.
Quantico, Virginia
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Front desk staff were courteous and attentive. ALL OF THEM for the 3 day stay.
Hot tub was in need of a cleaning.
Breakfast made up for it and the odd ball housekeeping. Had hot varied items and long hours available.
Housekeepers left random piles of obviously dirty clothes as they layed, scooped and mixed up other piles and set them on the newly made bed (just odd).

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Weecess
ElkinsHIE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for your review. Our staff is what sets us apart. Our goal is to provide the consistent high quality stay of Holiday Inn Express with the small town feel. Thank you for staying with us.
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We arrived exhausted after driving through a snowstorm and were greeted by a very friendly staff. He helped us sort out a problem with out online reservation (not through any fault of Holiday Inn), recommended pizza delivery, provided plates, napkins, and a bottle opener. The room was adequate - pretty basic, actually - but it was clean, warm, and comfortable. The pool seemed to be pretty popular, but we were too tired to consider going down. The next morning, we grabbed a quick breakfast (reasonable selection) and drove an hour to Snowshoe ski resort. Overall, I would stay here again if in Elkins, particularly en route to Snowshoe. You can easily be on the slopes by 9:00 or 10:00 but pay a fraction of the cost on the mountain. (But I wouldn't do this for multiple days of skiing.)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying. We are located within 45 minutes of 3 different ski resorts. We may be a more economical option to staying on the slopes. Thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkins
Hampton Inn Elkins
Alpine Lodge
Alpine Lodge
#2 of 2 in Davis
Bicentennial Inn, Home of 88 Restaurant and Lounge

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkins? Share your experiences!