“It is what you'd expect.”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Fairmont
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It is what you'd expect.”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Stayed here recently as I was attending a graduation at WVU in Morgantown.

The hotel was pretty much what you would expect for a cheap, small hotel near the highway. The beds were actually quite nice and firm. The decor and bathroom fixtures were dated, but what do you expect in West Virginia. The TV worked and had HBO (I got to watch Game of Thrones, yeah!) but I never tried the wireless.

The only bad point was the free breakfast. There was one older woman clearing all of the tables, replacing all of the silverware, setting out the food, answering questions, etc. It wasn't her fault, but it was a madhouse, the coffee was not replenished and it took forever to get seated. Another hotel worker came into the room and tutted at this woman for not doing enough, but didn't lift a finger to help her before returning to reception.

All in all I'd stay here again if I was passing through, I doubt you'd find much better in the area.

Room Tip: I'd request a room not facing the parking lot, since the lights were shining into my room all ni...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Logan, West Virginia
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Average hotel apparently catering to gas field workers. All outside doors and the hotel lets the gas well guys sit outside the doors and drink. Not comfortable to families and women entering the buildng.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
I wanted to take the time to respond to the review you posted about our hotel security. I first want to apologize for the lack of security efforts on our part. One of our top priorities is the safety and security of our guests. It is strickly against our safety standards to allow any guest to gather near the entrance doors for a long extended period of time or to just hang out. We will do a better job in the future of monitoring these types of things to further insure guest safety in the future. Again, thank you for your feedback and we will actively do a better job of making sure this is not happening in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Fairmont hotels

Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This hotel has a lot going for it, but I couldn't give it five stars. The staff was very friendly, more friendly than I normally encounter, from the front desk staff to the staffer responsible for the breakfast set up. Check-in was easy and quick and check-out was even easier and quicker. The room was spacious and clean with a comfortable king-size bed and pillows and nice colors. There was a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room, the internet was reliable and fast and the room was quiet. The free breakfast was great. The breakfast room had a lot of tables that were set up with real mugs, glasses and silverware and the buffet had real plates. There was an assortment of cold cereals, danish and breads with a toaster available as well as a set up to make your own waffle. The hot buffet included cheese omelets, bacon and potatoes. There was also juice, whole fruit, and yogurt. I think most people would find something they like and the food was available up until 10:00 am.

The main reason for four instead of five stars is the bathroom. It was small and out-dated with an old white laminate counter and odd set up so that the room felt small and crowded. There were water marks and a poorly done repair job in the ceiling. The wallpaper was starting to peel and the whole bathroom just felt old. The hallways felt dated too. With an updated bathroom, I probably would give the hotel five stars.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Thank you for the positive comments you made about the hotel staff and amenities we have to offer. The complimentary hot breakfast has become very popular with our hotel guests. The hotel staff truely does take great pride in the service we deliver to each of our guests. I also wanted to let you know that we do have plans to update our bathrooms with all new cabinetry and lighting to make the space larger and more comfortable. I hope you are able to visit us again in the future to see the updated product once completed. These types of comments are taken seriously and gives us an opportunity to make the necessary changes and renovations where needed. Again, thank you for being a valued guest and thank you for the review of our hotel.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Comfortable rooms, but tiny bathroom, which needs updating as do the hallways. Awkward layout with first and second floors plus a midlevel at the far end. Restaurant, which also was breakfast area, and bar were much more than expected at such a property.

Room Tip: A room at the far end may be quieter but you'll have a long walk to the lobby and breakfast area...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
I wanted to take the time to thank you for the review you posted. We take great pride in the service and features our hotel has to offer. We have several projects planned in the coming months, one of those plans is to update our guest bathrooms. We will be working with a contractor soon to plan the new layout and fixtures. We hope you will be able to visit with us in the future to see the finished product.
Petersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I've stayed in many motels thru the years since the late 70's due to my work and U will not find a better, kinder staff, of people anywhere from the Manager to Housekeeping, etc. Always freindly and do anything for you with a smile. I was there Monday thru Thursday night for a little over a year and they made me fill like family from day "1". Food is good to. So if you are in the area and lookin for a place to stay, Check it out you'll find none better!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: TAC in 205 quiet and overlooks pool.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Arnoldsburg
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I don't know how Clarion got their hands on this place. Or maybe the question should be, Why did they get their hands on this place.
The staff was great. They were very helpful and friendly. I give them 5 stars. But I can only give the hotel 2 at best.
The staff did their best with what they have. The hotel is very old and in dire need of a refit. The carpet in the rooms and the halls is very worn. The "wallpaper" is very outdated.
I don't know how long that hotel has actually been there, but I know it has been there for a very long time.
Location is fair. It is right off the interstate. But it is on top of a hill with a driveway that you have one hairpin turn that can be very dangerous if you meet someone else coming down as you are going up.
Then when you get to the parking lot. It doesn't have tons of room. Only one entrance and exit. Up and down the same hill with the same bad curves. I know that is not Clarion's fault. That is the fault of the original hotel owners. But there are many other hotels in the area with much easier access for the quality and price.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
JR B, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. We are continuously upgrading our hotel amenities and our product. We have several projects scheduled for this coming year and hope you have an opportunity to visit us again in the future.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 November 2012

This hotel is so overpriced it is amazing! If I were paying for a musty, smoke filled, 70s flashback this hotel would be well worth $125 but this hotel is terribly overpriced. Not only is it over priced the Clarion is gouging its customers due to the gas and power companies HAVING to stay here. Avoid this hotel if you can! The restaurant charges 3.53 for a bottled beer!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business